Do you think donating human organs for transplant should be mandatory - provided

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)
  1. KsenijaZ profile image81
    KsenijaZposted 7 years ago

Do you think donating human organs for transplant should be mandatory - provided by the law?

We all know that organ donation is a noble thing and can save lives. But should it be mandatory by the law?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13497497_f260.jpg

2. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 7 years ago

No. There are some religions and cultures that do not believe in organ donation, and there are some people who just cannot stomach the thought of their loved ones being cut apart after death. Their wishes should be respected.

I do think it should be easier for people to indicate their wishes, assuming they have no advanced directive on file. I've lived in a lot of different places, and some of them have allowed organ donation simply by checking a box on your driver's license. I have "I am an organ donor" typed into the In Case of Emergency section of my phone, which can be accessed even if the phone is password protected.

I also think this is a conversation everyone should have with their family. If you wish to be a donor, fill out an advanced directive, and give it to whoever will be the executor of your will, and with your emergency contacts. I have no family left to make these decisions for me, so the last time I had surgery, I had the conversation in the car, on the way to the hospital, with the friend I'd chosen to be my executor. I made my wishes very clear to her, and I trust that she would carry those wishes out if something happened to me.

KsenijaZposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I so agree with you! Thank you, Lisa, for your thorough answer!
      It is preparing a law in our country - they want to make it mandatory, it feels a bit creepy. Thank you again!

3. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13497519_f260.jpg

No it shouldn't be mandatory to donate organs.
    Owning your own body is the ultimate freedom.
    However I am in favor paying people a reasonable amount to give their organs. Our current {nothing for something} policy isn't working well. There are shortages of organs and long lines.
    Hospitals earn money, physicians/surgeons/nurses earn money and the person receiving the organ gets an improved quality of extended life!
    Why should the organ donor be left with only "nobility"?
    Offer people $35k or $40k for a kidney and I bet you'll see more volunteers. If we paid people $5 or $10 for a pint of blood our blood reserves would go up too! That's lunch money for some.
    There has to be "something" in it for the donor or their family!

KsenijaZposted 7 years agoin reply to this

True. It should be like that - legally. The problem is that people (poor) are paid for organs on the black market - this should be somehow regulated, to avoid illegal organ traffic. Well for blood donor - 'only' the nobility is fine with me (you get

4. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

The confusion is that it is not mandatory, all that was changed in certain countries was the driver's license was checked automatically but you have to uncheck to refuse giving donation

5. profile image60
    jordancoxxposted 2 months ago

The question of whether organ donation should be mandatory by law is a complex ethical and societal issue with varying opinions. While the idea of saving lives through organ donation is universally appreciated, making it mandatory raises concerns related to personal autonomy, bodily integrity, and individual rights.

Arguments in favor of mandatory organ donation often emphasize the potential to save more lives, reduce organ shortages, and address the growing demand for transplantable organs. Proponents may argue that such a policy could help overcome the disparity between the supply and demand for organs, ultimately benefiting society as a whole.

On the other hand, opponents of mandatory organ donation emphasize the importance of individual autonomy and the right to make decisions about one's own body. They argue that forcing individuals to donate organs infringes on personal freedoms and bodily autonomy, which are fundamental principles in many legal and ethical frameworks.

A middle-ground approach involves promoting and incentivizing voluntary organ donation through education, awareness campaigns, and perhaps financial incentives. Many countries and regions already have opt-out or presumed consent systems, where individuals are considered potential organ donors by default unless they explicitly choose to opt-out. This approach aims to increase organ donation rates while respecting individual autonomy.

Ultimately, the question of whether organ donation should be mandatory is a matter of societal values, ethics, and individual rights. Public opinion, cultural norms, and legal frameworks differ across regions, leading to diverse approaches to organ donation policies globally. Answer copied from https://sassastatusportal.co.za/

6. Nathanville profile image93
    Nathanvilleposted 2 months ago

Good question.  Personally, I don’t have any strong feelings either way, as I can see both sides of the argument.  However, I did look up on the NHS website to see what the current laws are in my country (the UK); and it seems to be well balanced, as follows:

New laws passed in the UK on 20th May 2020 are now for an ‘opt out’ system for adults over the age of 18 e.g. you are assumed to consent unless you ‘opt out’ on the NHS ‘Organ Donor Register’; equally, you can ‘opt-in’ on their ‘Organ Donor Register’ to make your wishes clearer.

However, even under the new laws, the NHS will not automatically take your organs if I don't opt out, they will always consult your family before donation takes place; so it is important that your family and friends know your choice, as it makes it easier for them to honour your choice, whatever that choice is.  And your faith and beliefs will also always be taken into consideration before organ donation goes ahead.

In fact, reading up on the subject on Wikipedia, I can’t find any real evidence of organ donation being mandatory anywhere in the world e.g. countries using the ‘opt out’ system still seek consent from family (legal next of kin).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_donation

7. Willowarbor profile image60
    Willowarborposted 2 months ago

If a government can force a woman to use her own body to see an embryo to birth, essentially saving its life, then how is forcing organ donation any different?  It is the use of one individuals body to keep alive another individuals body. 

It's quite a contrast here in America that certain states force women  to give birth but that same woman would not be compelled by law to give the baby she just delivered a life-saving blood transfusion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)