How Important is it to Credit Images on HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Jeremy Gill profile image93
    Jeremy Gillposted 6 years ago

How Important is it to Credit Images on HubPages?

Okay, the obviously the textbook answer is that we need to credit all our images.

However, the reality is most Hubbers, even the most successful, often only source an image by linking to it, which is only technically part of the crediting. Almost seems like for legality purposes, we're told about the crediting, but no one actually expects it to be done (at least not beyond linking to the source URL), as Hubs will be featured regardless. Any thoughts?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

I used to just up and grab any freaking image I wanted to use. Well, I credited them. The only complaint I ever had was a guy who simply wanted me to link to his own website instead of just using his name and the link to where I got the image.

Not much of a problem. I already know some folks will show up here on your question and go on and on and on about this and about that. Well, it's not so scary to use an image. Just credit the dang thing as best as you possibly can. If someone complains, ditch the silly image. Find another.

Focus on making the very best content you can possibly make, and do the best you can towards crediting things. Remember that backlinks are still things of great value. So if you backlink to someone's website, and you do so from a great page you created - it benefits them too.

Jeremy Gillposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Agreed! I don't feel guilty as long as I backlink to them because it enables a sort of symbiotic relationship even if it's not technically the correct format. I did some research, and some of the most prominent Hubbers do the exact same thing.

3. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 6 years ago

I think it is important because HubPages stresses it with their guidelines. How much it is regulated is a bigger question. I dun'no . . . I don't know how tightly it is regulated by sites that offer their images with a Creative Commons licensing. For that matter the photographer of an image searching for misuse is questionable. I have heard on occasion in the forums of a Hubber being notified to pay for an image that was used without permission.

Here is a little TMI . . .

I always give an attribution and rarely a source URL as that is optional. I usually get my images from Pixabay these days. Their images are all CC0 Public domain, which is a Creative Commons license saying there are no restrictions. They request the image be given an attribution.

Other sites like Wikipedia Commons indicate the proper Creative Commons license to use in their description. Usually it is 'Share Alike CC 2.0 Generic'. Sometimes they are licensed with restrictions like no commercial use or alterations. No commercial use means it cannot be used on a Hub because it is commercial. Usually when I use one of my own pictures I indicate CC0 Public Domain because the nitty-gritty is it can be copied and I have noway to know it was used.   

The manner I attribute images is name of photographer, Creative Commons attribution, source

For instance, John Doe, CC0 Public Domain, via Pixabay

Great answer, Tim. I know we should credit wherever we can, but I can't shake the feeling that there's leniency because so many topics would be busts without proper imagining, and HP doesn't want to miss out. Plus, it seems like everyone does it.

4. Jeremy Gill profile image93
    Jeremy Gillposted 6 years ago

Sorry about the typo in the details of the question; it was pretty late when I wrote it.

Based on the feedback I've received so far, and the research I've done, most every Hubber (no matter how successful) often only credits with a URL. Yet it's rarely discussed, almost taboo, as it's not technically correct. I find it a fascinating scenario, and if anyone has any further thoughts, please feel free to chime in.

5. nochance profile image87
    nochanceposted 6 years ago

It is absolutely important to credit your images. Copyright law is serious. You can get sued for up to $150,000 by either the copyright holder or the government.

That's why many bloggers use images that are in the public domain. That means the owner has given up ownership to allow anyone to use or modify these images.

Public domain images do not have to be credited at all. Though most appreciate it when you link back to the original website.

This blog post shows a cautionary tale about taking images from google. http://www.livingfornaptime.com/startin … -to-avoid/

I agree that it's important, but that doesn't change the frequency of fudging. I bet most Hubbers are fearful to even discuss it, yet it should be debated. Also, there are the Fair Use laws to consider, which opens up a whole new can of worms.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, the only income I have is from Hubpages. So do you think I should be afraid of some big fine? hahaha nope.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)