Can we no longer search specific niche sites?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Shesabutterfly profile image94
    Shesabutterflyposted 6 years ago

Under each niche site's more tab (upper left) you could search specifically for articles under that site. Is there a way to still do this? The search bar is gone and the magnifying glass makes me search all of Maven. If I wanted to search all of Maven, I would go to the Maven site.

How are we suppose to find anything if we cannot specifically search a site? Scrolling down the page looking for what I want is going to take me way to long and I'm going to go to Google which may or may not bring me back to one of the niche sites. All the sites on Maven have their own search bar, is there a reason the HP niche sites lost theirs?

Edit: I just noticed this is not limited to the niche sites, but to HP as a whole. I can no longer find a search bar on the HP home page either. If I open up the forums I see the search bar, but I'm assuming that's because the forum's still have the old hp look.

1. theraggededge profile image95
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

When I clicked the magnifying glass, it brings up a list of topics. Then when I click on a topic, the nice site is nestling there. However, I can't see the search facility in the niche site itself. Not terribly helpful.

I expect it's more or less redundant, given that most people visit via a search engine. Or, perhaps the restructuring is still going on.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi Shesabutterfly,

We're currently working on making this more clear and intuitive, but there is still a way to search on a specific site.

Simply visit the site and click the little magnifying glass in the upper right corner. A search overlay should pop up that has sections listed like Politics/Causes, Finance, Music, etc. Ignore the list and click your mouse directly on the text that says "Find your Maven" at the top of the list. Type in your desired search term and press enter. The search will return results ONLY for the site you are currently on.

Shesabutterflyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Christy!

Glad to hear you guys are working on something more intuitive. Typing into the "find your Maven" field was not my first thought for site specific articles and I'm familiar with HP and the Maven. It does work though so thank you for clarifying that.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Christy, instead of “Search your Maven” I think it would be better to say “Enter your search term or select below”. That would be more meaningful. I know the idea is to promote the Maven name, but the logo is on top anyway.

Shesabutterflyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Agreed! The find your Maven field on the Maven site doesn't work as a search bar which is why I didn't even try it when I stumbled across it on the niche site I was on. On Maven it is specificially for finding other sites within the Maven community, so I wasn't expecting it to work differently on the hp niche sites.

1. Sustainable Sue profile image95
            Sustainable Sueposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Also agree. When I saw the term "Search Your Maven" I thought, "What???" I know Maven is the company that HP merged with, but what does that mean, "Search your Maven"? If it's supposed to generate a sort of affectionate feeling it actually did the opposite with me. I felt resentful. I don't want to search "my Maven" or be displaced to the Maven site, I want to search HP.

Shesabutterflyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I actually felt the exact same way. Especially since the search your Maven works differently at the Maven site. It was confusing and not intuitive. I know hp is now a part of Maven, but even all the channels on Maven have their own search bar so for hp to have the search your maven is rather annoying. My assumption is because hp is not on the actual Maven site they are trying to find ways to make it more apparent that hp is part of the Maven network besides the small key logo.

I just hate that they had to take the search bar to do it. Makes it a lot harder to search now and I won't be using it nearly as much as I use to.

2. Shesabutterfly profile image94
    Shesabutterflyposted 6 years ago

I hope you are right and it's simply restructuring that is still going on. I used the search bar quite frequently to find related articles to read or to find something specific I was interested in. If we lose the search bar for good, I'll be going back to Google as scrolling down the whole page takes too long to load and the articles are not really categorized in a way that is easy to scan.

It would be lovely to have a table of contents for each section/sub-section in the niche sites.

Shesabutterflyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It really would be, especially if we lose the search bar. I know they have sub sections under the more option, but once you get to that page there is nothing else to sort the articles by which is where the search bar really came in handy. As it stands there is no rhyme or reason as to how the articles are displayed which makes it really difficult to find what one is looking for.

For example on Owlcation if I want to find something within Stem I can see a few articles related to different sub sections, but once I click on Geology there is no other way to categorize the articles. They are all simply Geology, and I see four unrelated articles that have nothing to do with the other as far as I can tell before I even start scrolling. If I want to find something specific I either have to scroll through the whole thing or come to the forums while the search bar is still here. Neither of which is ideal, considering the forum search bar only brings up hp content (no niche sites).

If they are still restructing a table of contents would actually be more useful than the search bar in my opinion.

Yes, indeed, or even just a category cloud to allow people to drill down.

3. DrMark1961 profile image95
    DrMark1961posted 6 years ago

The search method that Christy describes works fine. I used it the other day to find something on Pethelpful so that I would not have to scroll down through all of the options.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)