Fellow tattooed friends: Do your tattoo's itch or become raised at times?

Jump to Last Post 51-82 of 82 discussions (106 posts)
  1. EdmondLash profile image59
    EdmondLashposted 7 years ago

Yeah this is happening right now to a 9 year old tattoo on my calf area. I've been scratching like crazy as it doesn't looks that great anyways, adds character lol. I will definitely  put some ointment on it, I thought it was fleas or something from my dog. I have noticed that I had some extra expensive store bought corn moonshine left, so I added lemon for some reason. That made all my tattoos itch, but I just rubbed them, lasted a few days.

2. yevgueney profile image62
    yevgueneyposted 7 years ago

Sometimes they do get raised but mine don't itch.  If they do, I would recommend using Aquafor.

3. Dylanie Abplanalp profile image60
    Dylanie Abplanalpposted 7 years ago

My tattoos do get dry at times and start to itch. Obviously when you first get the tattoo it will be raised and itchy as it is healing. But for me it isn't unusual for my tattoo to itch at times. But for me, my tattoos do not raise at all since I've received them.

4. Mindy Lacey profile image54
    Mindy Laceyposted 7 years ago

I went to my dr. About my tattoos raising up after 12 years. 1) medications (Tylenol, mucinex, etc) cause inflammation 2) dehydration is main key factor. Get hydrated and see if it helps

5. Kate Alyce profile image63
    Kate Alyceposted 7 years ago

I have three tattoos, all black and white. One is on my wrist, one is on my right shoulder blade, and one is on the inside of my left ankle. My first one, which I have had for two years, on my wrist, is the only one I have had a problem with itching. Also, only part of it itches. This is also the only part that is raised. I guess I just assumed it was because it was on a very muscle-less part of the body, but I guess I don't know.

6. Lena Mao Weaver profile image58
    Lena Mao Weaverposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13275246_f260.jpg

Mines just raised, it's always this one mostly. I have many and the others do raise as well maybe once a year or 2. I read someone said it could be the outline that it was done too deep. I am thinking the same. First it usually itches for a couple minutes then raise and stay that way for about an hour. I just leave it alone and it usually goes down on its own.

7. profile image52
    MandyLorijnposted 7 years ago

I have several tattoos,  some black, some colour.  I have one in particular  (all black one) of which the lines raise every now and again. This tattoo is approx 17 yrs old.  No idea why this happens and only the last few years.  It doesn't itch at all, no redness, it just swells. I only noticed because my husband gave me a neck rub and pointed it out. It comes and goes,  is this something I should worry about?

8. Choochamo profile image56
    Choochamoposted 7 years ago

I have 2 tattoos and they have never been raised after years of having them. They do itch sometimes but I think it's just the skin itself and not the tattoo necessarily.

9. Laura Shultz profile image57
    Laura Shultzposted 7 years ago

I have an old tattoo that gets itchy and the outlines raised too. I had it done back in the late 80's and every so often this happens

10. profile image0
    Martine Andersenposted 7 years ago

Yeah, I have one I took 3 yrs ago and this is still raised. The tattoo-artist told me this was probably my skin reacting to the ink and was very normal. He told me to put on some body lotion and that's it!

11. Kriz Smith profile image59
    Kriz Smithposted 7 years ago

I have the staring of half of a back piece, so just the outline. It blew out a little bit after getting done so it's permanently raised, and it's always itches. My tattoos that are not blown out never get itchy and are flush to my skin. Maybe the artist put the ink in too deep and the artwork is a bit blown out.

12. profile image51
    Tabithatopp38posted 7 years ago

I have 14 tats and yes two of mine do that....my half sleeve and one on my back. Drives me crazy sometimes, I thought it was just me!!

13. wangxizng851 profile image60
    wangxizng851posted 7 years ago

there are many different factors which cause itching.
    try to find the reason for the itching and cut those reasons and then go for the cure.
    if you could not find the reason of itching then consult a good Dermatologist.
    but if the itching still persists then its better to remove the tattoos instead of facing further complications.
    Laser Tattoo Removal in Abu Dhabi at Dubai Cosmetic Surgery is the best place to meet with experienced dermatologist who will treat you according to your need.

14. BradleyGirl profile image60
    BradleyGirlposted 7 years ago

I have one thirty tattoos there is times the outline of mine do get raised and itch. This is just temporary. Some of my tattoos I've had over twenty years now.  What causes this I was told from the skin stretching. This could be from gaining weight, to medical conditions, anything. I'd the itching gets to bad I apply itch cream or take a couple of Benadryl. The itching and outline swelling does pass it's temporary.

15. sivasubrahmanyam profile image60
    sivasubrahmanyamposted 6 years ago

The picture is totally disturbing me. I have seen some people feeling itchy around the tattoo area. I have seen that most of them do not drink sufficient water and expose the tattoo area more to the sun radiation. The water they use for bath contains some agents which are causing this swelling. 2. The colors particularly the black will absorb more radiation that causes itching when it is used inside a picture. If it is in the border area it causes bumps along the border of the Tattoo. The red color causes more itching wherever it is used as it reflects more red color which most of the people allergic to.
    3. Another reason is being sensitive to certain foods and drugs.

Better to take the treatment with a Banana Peel. I think most of you are familiar I think.
    Shortly I am making a post on that with my personal experience.

16. profile image52
    EmilyJYyoungposted 6 years ago

I have been having this same issue on a tattoo that's almost four years old. It's been going on for two years. I just read an article on possible mold in ink by the FDA. I've lived with cortisone cream or Benadryl, but can't figure out what strikes an itching episode. Just some info to pass along about the mold I went to a very reputable shop and have many other tattoos from the same artist so I believe it's not his fault.

17. AllisonKS profile image60
    AllisonKSposted 6 years ago

I have a decent sized one on my left shoulder blade that never caused me any problems, not even through the healing process did it bug me, and being my first tattoo i thought then the healing and after math process for the rest of the ones i wanted would be a breeze but that was all DECEPTION. i have one that stretches from the right side of my stomache, where the ribs begin and goes down to the hips and the outer lines do tend to raise from time to time, but not the inner lines. the color has never raised. I have one on my right shin with some words, the words raise up very little (it's all outline) but the rest doesn't. and then i have one on my arm, this one i JUST got in february tho and it's my biggest peice and it's all black work so that's still raised throughout.. i wanna say like half of it is at least raised in random spots. the other ones i have ive had for at least 2+ years.

18. Jared Anthony profile image58
    Jared Anthonyposted 6 years ago

Naw, I tattoo myself all the time. I never even put lotion or ointment on them and never have felt an itch. Just flaking and a scab every now and then. And I have tatted up my entire leg.

19. Angela Hogner profile image57
    Angela Hognerposted 6 years ago

I have two tattoos both of them raise at different times and are itchy when this occurs. I always notice the itch then realize it's raised. I have mostly related mine to heat. I will also keep an eye on other factors from here on to see if I can find a common link.

20. profile image52
    kellyksposted 6 years ago

yes indeed I have seen this and even mine has definitely raised but does not itches. Even tattoos which have healed complete are often seen raised and the color also starts fading. This could happen because of a number of reasons like weather conditions, allergies to the ink and so on. I have realized my two tattoos generally raise during rainy seasons and a friend of mine also has tattoos and his tattoos get very bumpy in summer season. You can help yourself by applying Aloe vera, coconut oil, and even some mild allergy medication can bring down the raised tattoo instead. Even baby oil can help you with the itchiness and the bumps of your tattoo. Hope my advise helps.

21. Tattoo Bright co profile image59
    Tattoo Bright coposted 6 years ago

Gone fun it!!!!!! I vowed to not promote my product but only 20% of my time on Hubpages and 80% some whitty and useful information I've acquired over the years. (humor)

However; your problems with itchy skin, whether its the skin around the ink or the skin above the ink......it is the ink that is the culprit.....the why's? Could be a number of things......much like was listed by other answers. Everyone reacts differently. That's for each individual to decide the reasons.....

You are looking for relief and comfort.

That's what I'm hoping to bring you.

http://www.tattoobright.co

It is a wonderful hydrator, all natural, 63% organic, glutton free.
    There is no residue or odor.

Check out the ingredients....if the itching is a big problem for you and you are still looking for relief.....please I just ask you to check us out......

This is not spam.....I'm quite serious about the relief you will find.

Hope to hear from you soon!!!!!!
    Michelle

22. profile image58
    Charli82posted 6 years ago

Mines does the same thing also. Not a lot but sometimes. I'm 35 and I got this one on my inner rgt fore arm and I got this when I was 17yrs old and it was done with Indian ink. Idk. I'm in great health and I have no diseases. It's my only one that does it. A tattoo artist told me its scarred and that's why it does it. I find it quite strange tbh

23. profile image48
    Chris leopatdposted 6 years ago

Hi I'm 17 years old and I'm having the same problem with the tattoo on my back i got it about a year ago the outlines welt up and get a little itchy I've asked my tattoo artist friends and some say medication some say weather and some say hiv or aids I don't think it's hiv or aids cuz I seen my artist take the needle and the tube fresh out of a new package. I'm very confused/concerned about what I'm dealing with

24. Tasha May White profile image83
    Tasha May Whiteposted 6 years ago

I have several tattoos and my first one always seems to raise up and get irritated when I'm hot. I do think that this might be something to do with how heavy handed my tattoo was done as none of my other ones get like it (I went to a tattooist that didn't have the best of reviews, luckily I've learnt from that)

25. ChadCrouch profile image53
    ChadCrouchposted 6 years ago

I am not to sure perhaps too early to tell.

26. Lucasmmy profile image55
    Lucasmmyposted 6 years ago

I have several tattoos that I've gotten over the last 15 years. I have a bunch of different size and designs of stars staggered going from my hip bone and stopping right underneath my breast. I got that one done about 3 years ago and right away it itches really bad. Now three years later it still itches like a mother effer and stings like a bitch and It's weird bc none of my other tattoos do this and what boggles my mind even more is that I got two tattoo's that day and this one being on the I side of my upper arm and I have no problems with that one. The only thing that really seems to help is lotion. It still stings but not as bad and I know the difference between dry skin and what this itching and burning feels like and it's not the same and like you said I've also  searched google and can't find anything out about it. I did have both of those tattoos done at a friends how's during a tattoo party. He is a professional and everything was brand new and sterile. He owns a shop but also has a huge room in his house where he'll have his close friends come over and do their tattoos and just draws and comes up with new ideas and stuff. So it's all legit but idk if that has something to do with it or not but I found that a really good moisturizing lotion works good

27. profile image0
    Devon Dahmposted 6 years ago

Ive had this tat since 2008 and have had this happen once before. The ink raised up, scabbed and peeled off after a few days of beimg irritated and itching.

Yesterday it starting itching again kinda felt like a bug bites at first. Today i noticed a few more bumps and itching became worse. slightly hurts to the touch going to put some lotion on it and see what happens.

28. profile image57
    leathershopindiaposted 6 years ago

HI All
    We are manufacturer of all type leather Products , like leather jackets and leather handbags
    Website link: https://www.iftekharleatherhub.com/
    for export order We can contacts us On : leathershopindia@gmail.com
    Whats App Number :+919892353604

29. Destinyzed profile image61
    Destinyzedposted 6 years ago

I dealt with the same too but after a few days it just went away.

30. Damon Ryan profile image60
    Damon Ryanposted 6 years ago

Great topic - I never thought of searching the issue - and I definitely never considered a food reaction but makes more sense now that I read it. I have a full sleeve in colour and it sometimes on rare occasions gets raised and itches on the outlines mainly. I never thought much of it. thank you for the info!

31. Cynthia Hoover profile image90
    Cynthia Hooverposted 6 years ago

I have 5 tattoos the oldest one is over 20 years old. I have never had an issues with them becoming raised or itching (after the initial healing process). I would guess it’s likely an environmental issues or something in your diet perhaps. The type of ink that was used could be at the root of the problem and interacting with foods and maybe even skincare products ?

32. Okereke Cindy profile image67
    Okereke Cindyposted 5 years ago

You might want to check for an infection or your skin reaction to an allergic content in the ink makeup or something.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)