Question About Titles

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Natalie Frank profile image91
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

Does it hurt you SEO-wise to add a extra phrase to your title after the one with your keyword in it?  In other wods, if your three word title with the keyword in it is a good one in terms of SEO but you don't think it gives enough info for the reader so you add something to it does that weaken the three word title in any way?  Thanks!

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
      DrMark1961posted 5 years agoin reply to this

No, it does not hurt your search engine rankings but can do a lot to improve your click rate. For instance, I have an article about Tough and Badass Dog Names. Those are the keywords for the search engine to find. I added a long hyphen (forgot what that is called) and added "Outlaws and Gangstas", not for the search engine, for the readers.
      This is a good strategy to use when you can think of another phrase that will increase the readers interest.

2. samanthacubbison profile image83
      samanthacubbisonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hiya,

This Quora post addresses the SEO title issue: https://www.quora.com/Does-Google-penal … h-ranking.

Basically, you're fine, but here are some things to consider when titling your work for the best possible results:

- Avoid keyword stuffing
      - Titles should be descriptive and concise
      - Avoid repeated or boilerplate titles
      - Use powerful adjectives

Finally, ask yourself why someone should click on your article rather than someone else's. Is your title demonstrating the pressing and useful information in your article?

Best of luck to you!

2. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 5 years ago

Hi Natalie! Interesting question. I am not entirely sure about the effect on SEO, but I can say that sometimes titles that are catchy can attract readers when looking through their Google query results. For instance, I have seen some titles scream "pick me!" These titles were astutely crafted to pique the reader's interest so they would bypass other results at the top of the query results just out of curiosity. For instance, the other day I noticed one website add the words "A biological mystery solved" while another added "Finally the truth revealed" next to the title.

3. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

I'm surprised you're asking this as you've written a hub about it: https://owlcation.com/humanities/How-to … -You-Views and the tips there are pretty good. In addition to your hub, check out https://backlinko.com/actionable-seo-tips#powerups and the points Samantha has made. Also, the advise by DrMark to add stuff for readers and not just Google.

I personally like to use Brackets and numbers letting people know exactly what they get while at the same time making the article stand out with these elements:

Is a Tomato a Fruit or a Vegetable (Views of 6 Industries)
    Watering Tomatoes: When, How Often & How Much - 5 Pro Tips

Try and make sure that you have a title tag that is not too long. It's best that you do not allow Google to truncate your title, it's not always done very gracefully. Use this tool for guidance on the title length: https://seomofo.com/snippet-optimizer.html

4. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
    Gregory DeVictorposted 5 years ago

Natalie, I originally titled one of my American nostalgia articles “Yada, Yada, Yada: Fun Facts & Trivia About the Year 1997.” Yes, I received incredible traffic from Google with that title.

Then I decided to shorten the title to “Fun Facts & Trivia About the Year 1997.” Well, my Google traffic suddenly dropped by 90% with the adjusted title. I guess that the original title caught people’s attention.

I just changed the title back to what it originally was. I will wait and see what happens.

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
      DrMark1961posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Years ago we were taught that the best title would be "Trivia about 1997" but as you have seen from your traffic, that is not correct. I think the first title is interesting and it makes me want to click on it. The second one does not.
      By the way, is Gregory deVictor a pen name? Are you really Albert DiBartolomeo, another Philly writer?

1. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
        Gregory DeVictorposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Gregory DeVictor is my real name. However, I think that the name was shortened years ago from something like DeVictorio. My only connection to Philly is that I went to grad school there and also taught public school there for years.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)