The Mind/Internet Connection

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Jessie L Watson profile image65
    Jessie L Watsonposted 5 years ago

The internet "thinks" it knows what I like. It uses crazy math to predict what I'm most likely to buy or pay attention to. What the internet DOESN'T know is that what I actually seek is novelty - new information that gives me more of an edge. But, by showing me a list of the same stuff I've made searches for in the past, it keeps me frozen in time. Notifications might give us the illusion that something new and amazing is waiting to be seized but, in the end, they're mostly just inert distractions.

The problem isn't the internet, however, its the inner recesses of my brain that motivate behavior in search of meaningful information. It's the same circuitry that allowed our ancestors to forage and uncover new territory. When the brain I use today (which you can think of as a type of computational machine) interacts with a computer of another sort, the relationship BECOMES the algorithm, or, rather, a meta-algorithm.

In the "olden days" (early 2000s)  the arousal of curiosity would normally originate from outside these technologies which would lead a person to log-in until the relevant information is gathered, then go about their business. Now, the arousal of engagement and information seeking originates inside this space and keeps us around - because that's what it's designed to do. The longer I'm here, the reason I came becomes less relevant. If I'm trying to solve a problem, I've long forgotten what that problem was....

Side Note: Had a dream last night that I smashed every device screen in my house where every screen represented the box I feel stuck in.

It's a weird place to be - a weird time to live.

1. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm a little spooked about being followed around by Ads that target me.

2. Live to Learn profile image61
    Live to Learnposted 5 years ago

I like to screw with Google. They follow me, not really understanding what I'm actually doing and then ask me to review places. I reviewed a parking lot for them. Pointed out, in the review, Google had noticed I drove through, (cutting through to avoid an accident). I noticed they deleted it within a few days. But, it's kind of creepy. I'm not certain what value is served by collecting information they obviously misinterpret.

Wow! That is funny. How does one review a parking lot?

Jessie L Watsonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Google is dependent upon collecting user data to sell to advertisers. I think that's the tradeoff we made when we decided that Google (and Facebook, etc) should stay free.

I have also noticed how Google and related tech is being nosey. It picks up on my conversations and utterances and uses that to influence what it advertises to me. That's starting to happen more often now that I think about it.

I'm not the Orwellian alarmist type, but there only seems to be one Sherriff in town and that's Google..

3. Jessie L Watson profile image65
    Jessie L Watsonposted 5 years ago

I'm gonna dump a thought I had just a moment ago because its kind of relevant to this topic.

Technology has always had far-reaching unintended consequences.
    Think of it this way; think about the number of rapes, murders, and robberies that have been facilitated through platforms like Craigslist and Facebook. That number probably far outweighs the number of rapes, murders, and robberies solved or prevented by these platforms.

People act so casually about all these new mediums and devices we plug ourselves into. They buy into the "any benefit" argument which is basically if there is any benefit to a technology whatsoever then we can go hog wild while ignoring the consequences.

There's no question that these technologies are shaping how we think, feel and socialize. It comes down to what we are all willing to sacrifice to keep it all moving forward...

I know eh. I'm always fighting 'the machine' but I love the connections that happen online, it has made the world a much smaller place, and that feels positive. But it is also overwhelming to process the vastness of it, and the sheer volume of 'information'. Easy to get overloaded. I'm happy I have to go to work everyday in the 'real' world, to stay at least a little bit grounded. And I love my books, pen and ink. Sweating over a keyboard for hours at a time is tiring.

+1

4. Angel Harper profile image94
    Angel Harperposted 5 years ago

First time I got a personalised ad I was so freaked out, it was for the Love, Simon movie except they swapped out 'Simon' for my own name. Thought my phone was haunted or something!!

+1

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)