Massive Drop in traffic...STILL

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (35 posts)
  1. weezyschannel profile image87
    weezyschannelposted 5 years ago

Okay guys I am not sure what is going on... I understood a slow month or two because of the holidays... Unfortunately, I have never recovered and my views for the day are the worst they have been ever since I started Hubpages...
    I have received several warnings as well from Google, about AdSense policies and showing pictures that are against the rules. I had pictures of moles and that was it. I had to resubmit it for a review but then I received another one from Google, and that was for a picture of my dog's tail that had a hotspot on it..

I actually received another AdSense policy warning; I don't even remember which article it was for.
    I had to remove pictures, which was utterly stupid. First of all, the pictures were not offensive and they did not show anything grotesque. Also, pictures are a necessity when you're talking about what something looks like.

I've had these articles up for a very very long time. So has anyone else also been receiving warnings about policy from Google?  Not going to say that my articles are awesome, but I do put my heart and soul into my ability. And I've had over a 70% drop in traffic

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Poor to bad to cr*p traffic for anyone writing serious or semi-serious articles. But hang in there...

Not sure why I said that. Oh, I remember. There was a fix a long, long time ago, in another galaxy.

2. eugbug profile image96
      eugbugposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Check the details on your Adsense dashboard under settings and "policy centre". This usually gives more info about what exactly caused the warning.

weezyschannelposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I did and they were from three articles that I have here and like I said previously, one was for a hot spot on my dog's tail, another one was for pictures of cancerous moles...? I have no clue why those were considered a violation. So I removed the bigger picture of the cancer mole and I put a text box over my dog's tail where you can see where it was a little bit of blood

2. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 5 years ago

That's really weird.

I haven't had anything like that and traffic has more or less back to normal.

Try asking Samantha Cubbison to take a look at your account and articles.

3. Kenna McHugh profile image93
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

Nothing on my end, I wonder how Google feels about the other aforementioned unseemingly recommended articles on other Hubber pages.

4. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

weezyschannel,

This is a long shot, but go to AdSense and then click "sites" from the menu. If there are any sites listed where you know you don't have any articles, I'd remove them.

Also, on sites listed where you do have articles, hover the tiny "i". The bubble that shows up has a link to the policy center and promises to describe in detail any violations.

5. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

I was wondering if the adsense issue was just me. I got this

"In the last 24 hours:

New violations were detected. As a result, ad serving has been restricted or disabled on pages where these violations of the AdSense Program Policies were found. To resolve the issues, you can either remove the violating content and request a review, or remove the ad code from the violating pages."

It was an article about Eczema. I of course resubmitted and they found no violations.

Traffic isn't much of an issue for me mostly. A tad lower than normal, but nothing worry level.

1. eugbug profile image96

I had the same notification. It turned out photos of red skin were considered "shocking content".  As far as I understand, photos are interpreted by AI and sometimes AI gets it wrong and sees what isn't there. So  possibly resubmitting, results in a human taking a look and giving the all clear.

Same...read previous reply.. I even contacted hubpages support and they had no clue and they told me to contact AdSense so I went to the Google support forums and still waiting to hear back. I had to remove pictures and resubmit and my pictures were not disgusting or vulgar at all like they said they are. And when I resubmitted, they said it was fine so I don't know

2. weezyschannel profile image87

Yup! Received 3 of them! Had a picture of a hot spot on my dog's tail that caused the violation, picture of cancer moles and I also got a policy violation! I had to remove the pictures and resubmit! Had to put a big text box over my dog's tail, I don't get it!

Besides that, I have a lot of  warnings that say need to verify and  review for authorized sites? They are all Google.co. , .ca or .in or .uk which are Google search engines in other countries; there is no way for me to verify that I own these. Have had them listed for 10 years because Google said to add them to list so if ads appeared in other countries, I could get the earnings from any ads. Now, they are making me verify and there is no way to do that with an ad code that they are requesting.

6. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Beginning to look like Google is on a rampage and/or they got themselves a bunch of new hires.

7. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 5 years ago

I put the "shocking photos" on their support forum and shortly afterwards, the violation disappeared from the policy centre.

You seem to know quite a bit. Is this something new that they're doing? Also, if you don't mind helping me with another problem... I have a lot of "need review," and "needs attention" on the global Google search engines in authorized sites. Says that I'm losing revenue and need to verify and/or add subdomain to prove ownership.

I've had AdSense for 14 years and I had to add them to list of authorized sites in order to earn revenue from Google.

1. eugbug profile image96

I get the same recommendations from Adsense. We can't verify HubPages sites, because code needs to be added to a site to do so. Other than being able to use Google Search Console, previously known as Webmaster Tools, I don't know what advantage there would be in being able to do so.

Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about... I may not have explained it correctly but this is what I am getting... Like I said, I've had AdSense for 11 to 14 years or so. If I did not, then if my website or article showed up another country's, I would not get any earnings I guess. That's what they had me do when I first started. My articles are almost null and void as I'm making under $0.50 a day and I'm about ready to pull my hair out

https://hubstatic.com/14378158_f1024.jpg

8. ziyena profile image90
    ziyenaposted 5 years ago

Mine has picked up some but still not like it used to be pre panda … ahhhh, the memories

9. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 5 years ago

If you're using the HubPages Earnings Program, AdSense earnings will likely be very low because there's only one ad displayed at the bottom of the page and I think another half way down on the right.

Its the Hubpages ad program I'm using only. Going back to adsense for while. CPM is historically low for HP since pageviews are at its lowest.

10. Sreelesh Kumar profile image66
    Sreelesh Kumarposted 5 years ago

I am a new member here. Read your experience, not sure what is in store for me.

Heads up!!

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years agoin reply to this

OP post is 2 months old.  Since then, I do believe traffic has picked up considerably; alas, can't say the same for earnings.

11. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 5 years ago

Traffic is solid. The core update last week was a nice bump.

We are big fans of updating articles regularly.  Our freshest sites have out paced others.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Nice. By freshest do you mean the new health sites or the niche site that was heavily edited recently? Or maybe both. Either way, great news.

2. chef-de-jour profile image97
      chef-de-jourposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good. Very good. CPM rising like the barometer. Optimism rules - for a while at least!

3. weezyschannel profile image87

Finally seeing some increase!

12. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 5 years ago

Nothing yet on youmemindbody, for me, at least. Dengarden got a modest boost.

Good to know. But isn't Dengarden getting the seasonal traffic? It's the right time of year and my non-seasonal Dengarden hubs are pretty constant, good but constant.

I am seeing increased traffic on a HP article though.

13. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 5 years ago

Owlcation doing well too. Traffic heading towards pre-October levels on one article at least.

Yes, Owlcation is doing the best ever for me. I like it smile My Owlcation numbers are not even mediocre, but they are now seeing some readers each day which is good.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
        DrMark1961posted 5 years agoin reply to this

You think those weak Owlcation numbers might be due to the name of the site? If you were writing a research paper for your phd, would you really want to list "Owlcation" as one of your sources?

Forget my Ph.D when writing my master thesis itself I never linked out to a website. You always link out to published papers when it comes to a thesis unless it is in a field where opinions matter or if you are getting data from a database. Maybe in some cases government research that is not published elsewhere would account for a website link too. Then you can link websites and in that case the author/organisation is important and not the domain name per se. Some websites have really funny names, owlcation is not that bad. But that's just my opinion. It may have grown on me.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
            DrMark1961posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it is personal bias, but when I am writing an article about dog health issues I would much rather link out to a national institue of health site, that has journals from several different sources, than to a cutedogs-r-us type of site.
            Sure, there are a lot of funny names out there. I certainly would not go to a site with a name like buzzfeed if I was looking for the best antibiotic to treat a disease condition.

I link out to websites too. But not from a thesis, you mentioned my Ph.D thesis, that's why I spoke of what I do and what is considered good practice for a thesis. My tomato fruit or vegetable hub for one has a lot of website references. Maybe one paper, but the rest are web articles.

About Buzzfeed, most people who are around the internet know that they have a negative reputation and it's not because of the domain name, but the content. The content does resemble the domain name though. It's a feed of the latest buzz big_smile Too bad it wasn't a live bee population movement feed.

14. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 5 years ago

Just checked and traffic to my triangle guide yesterday exceeded the peaks of September.
    Strangely all the Google updates over the last few months haven't affected the hex/binary conversion one. Maybe it's something to do with the curriculum and that material was covered earlier in the year in most schools or colleges.

https://hubstatic.com/14459451.jpg

15. Larry Slawson profile imageSTAFF
    Larry Slawsonposted 5 years ago

My traffic has been holding relatively steady lately.  Nothing amazing, by any means.  But not horrible either.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)