My hubs do not seem to be getting adsense clicks..Is something wrong?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (25 posts)
  1. GreenTime profile image58
    GreenTimeposted 13 years ago

Hi,

I have noticed that my analytics if showing good traffic to my hubs, but my adsense is not showing any clicks to my hubs ever since I started.  I do not understand how I can have a decent amount of traffic and yet no clicks.  Could I have adsense set up wrong with hubpages?  Please help me make sure that it is right. 

Your help will be appreciated.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Greentime.  Don't take my word for gospel, I'm too new.  But it seems to me that it really is a numbers game in that it takes a lot of views to produce anything.  My pitiful few hubs have produced over 1000 views, but zero click throughs.  Maybe that's why google uses a per 1000 views for predicting income - it just takes a lot of views to produce clicks.  Also, I'm still at a point that most of my views are from HP, which aren't likely to produce clicks, either.

1. profile image0
        seo in a nutshellposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i do agree with your first point...it takes many views to get any volume of clicks. i do not agree with your position that the hp members may be a result of the poor click through rate. hp users should not be different from regular users. actually i think it might be the other way around. i think hp members would produce a better click through rate. i know for myself that as i explore hubpages i try to click on members adsense ads for 2 reasons...number one it helps them out and number 2 it is because i have an interest in viewing the ads. i have found great value in the products and services provided by adsense. i always feel that these are the large and small companies that are really eager for my business and i always seem to find the best deals there.

When you browse other hubs do you click through?

What goes around comes around.

If you do click on ads make sure it is on a topic of interest because someone is paying for that click.

ken anderson

1. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is wrong on so many fronts I'm not sure where to begin.
          You are putting at risk the adsense account of the whole of Hubpages if you click on an advert anywhere within these pages.
          If this were permitted or encouraged, how long would it be before you had one person clicking on the ads of someone else they happened to meet in a forum, for example, to say they agreed with what they said?
          On the other hand, everyone here could theoretically be using the same adsense tracker code through sign-ups through their affiliate links.
          I know I haven't worded that well, but at this minute I can't remember the name of the sequence that follows tracker codes.
          While there s no law against clicking ads of others, JUST DON'T DO IT!

1. profile image0
            Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well said, Izzy, here are the basics about affiliate trackers written in a friendly language with pictures and everything.

http://hubpages.com/tour/affiliate/

2. thisisoli profile image71
            thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Look at Traffic Sources on your account page.  Until you start getting a decent number of visitors from Google and the other search engines, you won't see many people clicking on ads.  Most people find it takes a few months for that to start happening.

Other Hubbers, and visitors from social bookmarking sites, aren't usually coming to your Hub with the intention of buying anything - so they won't give you any clicks.

The prime position for an ad is in the top right hand corner of your Hub, so you're sabotaging yourself by putting a photo there.  Move it down to the second capsule.

2. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I'm also pretty new, but I'm sure that wilderness is right in one respect - that views from HP are not likely to produce clicks. 

In fact, the topic of a Hub is probably a primary reason why people would either click or not.  Is your topic something that would likely attract people who might be interested in whatever it is that the ads are offering?  Those of us who are newer to this type of work often don't realize that writing/publishing is only one part of the work here.  We are also, in a sense, "salespeople," and we need to know how to attract people who are interested in buying what is advertised.  Otherwise, why would they even click on an ad?

There are many, many Hubs here (and forum discussions) by people who know what they are talking about which you can read for very good advice and suggestions on the business end of HubPages.

3. GreenTime profile image58

Yes I would say my articles are proposing to readers interested in a certain topic that google would place ads on.  I write on parenting and children, traveling, weddings...these are all niches that are big so I would assume it would do better.  Who knows but I would definitely like some assistance to make sure I have my adsense set up properly.  Is there any way to tell?

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Since the advice I would give for the technical part of your question has already been answered (with someone quoting me even)  I'm going to address the other part.

Big niches are competitive.  If anything, it makes it harder to do well for new Hub authors.  Are you offering new, unique and useful advice on those topics?  If not, you need to be.  If so, how do people know to find your articles?  And if both of those conditions are met, are your articles geared towards making sales?

If you just want to assume, it means you will have to allow the hit-or-miss nature of the Internet to manage your Hubs.  If you want specific results, it's much more effective to work for them.

4. Aficionada profile image80

GreenTime, have you checked the HP help section?  I just ran a quick search of forums where the same sort of question has been asked before, and one of them had this comment from relache:

"HubPages has a step-by-step guide.  These instructions are specific to this site, whereas the Google site will presume you are running your own domain.
    http://hubpages.com/help/googleadsense"

If you've followed the step-by-step that relache referenced, try what I did.  In the HP search box, type "adsense set-up," and then you can access a whole bunch of other information that may be helpful to you.

5. Aficionada profile image80

PS - I have some family connections in North Carolina.  Welcome to HubPages!

Also, please don't be discouraged with "no clicks" so far.  It took me a while to get any; I've been here for 4 months now, and still have only a handful.  But things do tend to snowball - traffic, clicks, etc.  It may start out slowly, but the tempo will definitely pick up.  Browse through some of the forums.  You'll see a lot of comments from people who have said, "The first Adsense payout takes 'forever,' but then they start to arrive more quickly."

6. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

What do you define as Good Traffic?

8 weeks is a little too soon to expect much unless you have a good knowledge of SEO.

7. GreenTime profile image58

Ok I will definitely look into the link on adsense set up. 

-thisisoli:
    Yes I know 8 weeks ago is soon, but I have been busy using social bookmarks, posting all my links to facebook, twitter, and I have a various blogs-which I actually use my hubs to draw traffic to them, but I also use go articles and I just started using Ezines..which is proving to draw less traffic than everyone boasts about from them.    I know there are more article directories, but have not had enough time to get the articles written to submit to more places.

I am aware of writing with keywords and such so that is why I believe things should be snowballing faster.  I watch my statistics everyday and it does seem that most of my hubs are getting at least 50% traffic from search engines. 

Well any other suggestions are welcomed and thanks everyone for your help

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So how much traffic have you had.  if it is anything less than 1000 hits, not clicks is not big deal IMHO.

8. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Social bookmarking is not a particularly good SEO tool. It can be a good marketting tool, but only if you have a large amount of daily traffic to support it.

eZine articles is a nice simple way to pull in a PR1-2 backlink, and if people use it correctly, it can soon lead to more. However this does take time, and you should not be aiming to gain traffic as such from eZine, as increased search engine rankings.

You should be looking to earn anything from $2 to £15 per 1000 page views depending on how your content is set up and which keywords you have focused on.

How much have you researched on the topic of keywords, simply placing them in an article is generally not going to get you too far, since you could have anything from 1000 to 50 million webpages cometing for your exact same words.

9. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

Most of your traffic looks like it is coming from within HubPages.  Hubbers don't tend to click on ads.  You'll need a good amount of search engine traffic to make AdSense revenue.  There are a gazillion billion hubs and forum threads about how to get search engine traffic already, so I'll leave you to investigate on your own.

10. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

There was a recent forum discussion about the possible dangers of clicking on other hubbers' ads for any reason.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/44351

11. Aficionada profile image80

I'm glad you posted that, WE.  I was very concerned about the post prior to yours and I didn't remember where to find the information to formulate a response.  Thanks!

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Made me a bit edgy too, I guess "SEO in a nutshell" means different things to different people. I'm glad you agree.

12. floriferous profile image60
    floriferousposted 13 years ago

I'm brand new here and this is my first forum post. I'm shocked some people are clicking on each other's ads. I have my own AdSense account and now I fear using it here. Google is sooo flippin' strict about these things and can cut the users off entirely for these practices, with no recourse. Our names all over the net will be Google mud. Please don't do that.

That said, perhaps there is something I don't know about HubPages yet. And I'd love to hear otherwise before I start "hubbing" if that's the correct term.

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have I missed something?  I didnt read anywhere that hubbers were clicking on each others ads!

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

See 'seo in a nutshell's post.

13. MsFran profile image61
    MsFranposted 13 years ago

Whatever you agree with or don't there is tons of great info here for everyone. I've learned a bit reading through it all and would just like to say thanks to all who are giving some great advice and tips.

14. floriferous profile image60
    floriferousposted 13 years ago

Thank you for pointing out that post, psycheskinner.

MsFran, I do intend to read as much as possible before delving in too deeply and getting it all wrong. I'm looking forward to learning from and sharing with all you experienced writers with HubPages. "Hubbers" are you? smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)