Gun control -Latest polling

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 4 years ago

ABC News/Washington Post Poll. Sept. 2-5, 2019. N=1,003 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.5.

"Would you support or oppose a nationwide ban on the sale of assault weapons?"

Support 56%
    Oppose    41%
    Unsure    4%     

"Would you support or oppose requiring background checks on all potential gun buyers, including private sales and gun shows?"

Support    89%
    Oppose    9%
    Unsure 1%     

"Would you support or oppose a nationwide ban on high capacity ammunition clips, meaning those containing more than 10 bullets?"

Support    60%
    Oppose    36%
    Unsure     4%         

"Would you support or oppose a law allowing the police to take guns away from people who have been found by a judge to be a danger to themselves or others?"

Support     86%
    Oppose 12%
    Unsure     2%      

"Would you support or oppose a mandatory buy back program in which the federal government would require assault weapon owners to turn in those weapons in exchange for payment?"

Support 52%
    Oppose    44%
    Unsure     4%    

"Who do you trust more to handle gun laws in this country: Trump or the Democrats in Congress?"

Trump 36%
    Democrats in Congress 51%   
    Both 1%
    Neither 9%
    Unsure 4%

http://pollingreport.com/guns.htm

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It is polls like this that make one wonder about the American citizen.  Over half of our people would attack "assault weapons" as the first step in controlling the death toll in our country.

And they will do so not knowing, or caring, that of the 6 most common weapons used in murders, the rifle is used the least; the rifle, which includes the smaller subset of "assault weapon" we're so afraid of. 

Of the 12,253 homicides in 2013, the top choice of weapons were:
      handguns   5782
      knives/cutting instruments   1490
      Personal (hands/feet)  687
      blunt instrument (club, hammer)   428
      shotguns  308
      rifles (including assault weapons)  285

So our educated, intelligent citizen chooses the least common tool to attack, and only a subset of that category at that.  He does this because he has been trained to think that the "assault weapon" he is so afraid of is a military gun, used by the military to assault fortified enemy positions.  He is ignorant of the fact that the difference between a common hunting rifle and an "assault weapon" as defined by law is a folding stock, a light tin shield around the barrel, a pistol grip or some black paint.  And he doesn't want to know either - the years of advertising has convinced him is all he needs to attack the most common gun owned in the US as the most dangerous though it is at the very bottom of the 6 most deadly weapons used in murders in our country.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 4 years agoin reply to this

We're smart enough to know that addressing mass shootings requires different measures than addressing other gun violence.

Duh.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Ah.  If you take the preferred tool from a murderer it is different than taking the preferred tool from a murderer.  And you know this because world wide experience says that taking guns from murderers does not significantly affect the murder rate.

Good thinking; it's right up there along with being scared of a specific gun because it is black and carries a scary label designed to arouse fright.

1. profile image0

Same old tired nonsense.

2. Ken Burgess profile image77
        Ken Burgessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Its a Poll of 1,000 people... chosen by ABC/WP...

Its not worth the time to consider.

1. profile image0

Did you look at the methodology to determine this poll is faulty?

2. DoubleScorpion profile image77
      DoubleScorpionposted 4 years agoin reply to this

1003 folks...curious as to their locations and political and social standings.

Not sure that I would consider a poll of 1003 people accurately represents the American opinion.

1. profile image0
        promisemposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Professional pollsters do their best to include a cross section of people from various locations and political affiliations.

It's why most polls these days have a high degree of accuracy and report similar results on similar questions. They also include a margin of error just in case.

The results from this poll come close to other recent polls on the same issues.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image77

"Professional" is the key word...another would be an "unbiased"

But, we all know how that works...

1. Castlepaloma profile image77
            Castlepalomaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

President must be so unprofessional, hardly and good guild books to follow. That is why they are dominated by lawyers, not the constitution.

2. profile image0

Please prove otherwise. I have worked with professional pollsters many times during my career at both conservative and liberal media companies. None of them ever acted any less than professional.

I find that Trump supports consistently attack polls that don't give favorable numbers for Trump.

If it's not what they want to hear, the poll has no credibility.

In my professional lifestyle as a reknown builder/sculptor for 45 years. I met 100s of politicians and two US President. It is not professional to give out delusional freedom and human rights and not reach 25% of their promises. Only a clergyman can talks more BS, I don't need both of them in my world, not true professional public servants in my books. They can be on local scale.

I don't trust any poll to be honest...unless I can see the questions and parties who responded...the goal of the poll... which questions were or were not answered.

I don't care which party or person.

I have conducted more than a few polls (or studies) in my time and I managed to get the results I wanted to show, by careful wording of my questions and by limited choices to keep results in the range I wanted. And I was very professional in how I conducted my "polls" and covered a range of demographics...but I was still able to bias it because of how I set it up to begin with.

But...unlike many...I don't base my opinions on my emotions...

1. profile image0

I'm sorry, but I don't see how you can say you biased your polls on purpose and then say they were professional polls.

More importantly, the Clinton-Trump polls were accurate and consistent with each other. If they were biased, they all would have had different results.

That makes them professional.

That is my point...

I'll give you an example...

Question:
                  Which of these persons do you consider to be a great leader?

1. Hitler
                  2. Mussolini
                  3. Jong Un

By asking this question and then limiting your answers...I have created a professional poll that is biased in nature..

Now, it I was to take the answers and say that of these choices, answer 1. was considered by xx% to be the better leader...then I am showing my information, my method and the findings...

But if I just state that xx% of those polled consider Hitler to be a great leader, then I am presenting biased and partly factual information, because I limited the choices and then didn't present the choices offered that the determination was made from.

This happens quite often...I have seen similar type polls on various websites...i.e.

Who do you feel will be elected President in 2020

a. Biden
                  b. Warren
                  c. Sanders
                  d. Wang

and then once the poll is closed, make the claim that choice "a, b, c, or d" is showing a xx% favorability for election over "the other side"(no %) to POTUS among voters polled.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
                    gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hitler was considered a great leader to many Germans who suffered during the Depression.  They maintained that Hitler pulled Germany out of the Depression & created order which included improving the economy.  Many Italians felt the same way about Mussolini.  There are  North Koreans who consider Jong Un a great leader.  However, history proved that such leaders ruled by fear & intimidation-marginalizing those who disagreed with their particular regime.   Furthermore, history furthermore confirmed that Hitler wasn't a leader but a demonic tyrant.  Mussolini was considered to be an egomaniac.   Jong Un is a tyrant.   

I surmise that Warren will be elected President in 2020.  Biden is seen as unstable.  Sanders is too far left & revolutionary.    Wang? Well, who is Wang exactly!

2. Don W profile image81
        Don Wposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Pew did three pages of analysis of Trump's approval rating. The fourth page had their methodology:

"The analysis in this report is based on telephone interviews conducted January 9-14, 2019 among a national sample of 1,505"

Clearly these "Pew Research" people are complete amateurs! 

https://www.people-press.org/2019/01/18 … ology-214/

Still doesn't mean that it accurately depicts all of the US.

1003 folks is what....0.000003% of the population?

If you get everyone to vote on anything. You would have people power not Government over control.

2. Don W profile image81
            Don Wposted 4 years agoin reply to this

What it does is give you a hint that if an organization that has spent decades researching different methods for conducting political polls uses a similar sized sample, perhaps there is more to this than meets the eye.

As an enterprising person with an inquiring mind, naturally you would then do some research (I know, I'm hopelessly optimistic) which, in short order, would lead you to the concept of "random sampling" and "weighting", both of which can ensure that a poll of 1003 adults accurately depicts the opinions of the nation as a whole.

After all that, if you still don’t think random sampling works, make sure you ask your doctor to take all your blood next time you need a blood test.

2. Castlepaloma profile image77
    Castlepalomaposted 4 years ago

The magic number 80 % of the pubic support changes law for the positive like in the 80% background checks and gun taking away from offenders.

From my study of American and world history this is true number 80%, that changes collective conscious for people power. About 80% it is where medical marijuana and tiny houses were changed, I bet my life on it.

1. profile image0

Seems reasonable, give or take a little, but as long as do-nothing  Mitch MCConnell is in charge nothing will happen.

3. PhoenixV profile image63
    PhoenixVposted 4 years ago

I support gun control 100%. I believe our tax money should be used to buy back all weapons from Governments. They have the worst track records of killing people, especially innocent non combatants.

4. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 4 years ago

An important, insightful read on the topic is Why Meadow Died, https://www.amazon.com/Why-Meadow-Died- … amp;sr=8-1

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)