Writer Balking on Republishing

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Marie Flint profile image72
    Marie Flintposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/14803791.jpg
    No, not writer's block . . . I've started looking at my old, deleted hubs that I had saved on flash drive. Easy--just cut and paste, right? WRONG!  I'm finding myself in a situation that feels like a whole new article because of the updating process. With a new laptop and Microsoft Word that doesn't function completely (it should, I paid enough for this business-priced laptop). So, at this point, I have to create all new pictures.

I'm also finding that style changes need to be incorporated too. [Italics should be limited to book titles and foreign phrases (maybe a little thought form in creative writing.)]

To top it off, I'm just not as motivated by the subject as when I originally wrote it--it's not NOW.

So, I'm very tempted to forget the whole idea of attempting to revamp saved, deleted hubs, which were originally deleted partly from trying to hone a voice and partly from low traffic.

Does anyone else fall into this little SNAFU (Simply Not Able to Function Usefully) about republishing with updated revisions?

Oh, I know--it's up to me to write what and when I want, but I'm just curious how others handle republication, if at all.

2. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image94
    Beth Eaglescliffeposted 4 years ago

I'm currently doing exactly the same thing. i.e going through old deleted hubs to see if they're worth republishing.  Before even starting to work on them, I check out the competition. For two-thirds of them, I see articles that are way better than my deleted one, so I don't bother even starting to update. Like you say, it's hard to recreate the enthusiasm of a few years ago!

Of the remaining third, half the subjects covered are ones that need major updating because things have moved on. Most of those will require a lot of (too much) effort to republish, so I leave them deleted. That leaves just a few which I am republishing a couple at a time. The surprising thing is that the ones that are garnering views are not the ones that I thought would, so I'm on yet another learning curve.

Good luck with going through all your old deleted hubs. I'm finding it's a good way of keeping me busy when it's bitterly cold winter weather outside. big_smile:

Marie Flintposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Much appreciated! Your response is thoughtful and complete, just the kind of comparison I was seeking. Thank you.

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

First time I've seen that definition for "SNAFU". big_smile

As for me; if the spark is gone, then so is the hub. Everything else said in the previous posts also applies.

I was just guessing on the acronym, Paradigm, but my definition came easily. Thank you for noticing.

And, yes, I think because the spark is gone, I probably won't be republishing many of my deleted hubs. Thank you!

4. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

I've canned numerous old articles for the same reasons you describe. If I'm not "feelin' it" anymore, then there's no point trying to keep it alive.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I´ve canned peaches. Got to feel it!

I helped my brother can peaches this fall, too. It was fun. I peeled, he canned. Sweet and tasty too!

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
        FatFreddysCatposted 4 years agoin reply to this

"Goin' to the country, gonna eat me a lotta peaches..."

Dammit now that song is gonna be stuck in my head all day.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
          DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I had to look that up. Funny, because the last meme I saw was of Donald Trump googling "what does it mean when someone puts you in peaches?"

2. Marie Flint profile image72

Thank you, Freddy. "Feeling it" seems to be the truism. Thank you for taking time to respond.

5. Titia profile image91
    Titiaposted 4 years ago

Same here. Most of mine are old Squidoo lenses. Sometimes I start on one and then it appears there's so much work on getting them in line with the today's HP requirements, that  I stop again. However I can't get myself to delete them from my pc.

Yes, Titia. The original writing is a lot of work, and that's why I saved the deleted articles on a flash drive. I think many are worthwhile articles. I'm just flabbergasted, however, about the hurdles in trying to reconstruct them. Blessings!

6. Projectlazy profile image87
    Projectlazyposted 4 years ago

I hear you. I just came back after a 2 year break. I started to revamp things but I quickly deleted all of it. Kinda wish I had saved them til after the Christmas rush...O well.

So maybe take a look at what can be viable for sales and toss the rest?

Maybe Project. One I have is about THE IMITATION OF CHRIST, supposedly the second most read devotional book (the Bible is first). I remember doing a fair amount of research about the 14th Century author Thomas a'Kempis. Traffic was originally low on that one, though. Maybe it just needed more time. The Christmas season should bring it a little traffic, one would think.

Thank you for your input.

7. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 4 years ago

I figure over half of the work is done because I consider these drafts. I edit, fix it up, and post. I use old articles from clients or websites that are no longer live on the Internet.
    I laugh a lot because some of my old writing is embarrassing, and I am so happy I can fix it. 
    Besides, writing for the Internet is a "new thing," and we can repeat our work over and over again.

"No longer live on the Internet" is an interesting concept to me. Is there anything not on the Internet? I wonder. (chuckle)

I'm glad you have the stamina to rewrite, Kenna. Maybe I'll get re-inspired eventually.

Thank you for commenting.

8. Weber Collins profile image59
    Weber Collinsposted 4 years ago

I wouldn't rewrite/re-post unless I was really into the topic.  I can really tell a difference in my own writing quality between pieces I was passionate about and ones where I was just pushing through.

Thank you, Weber. Maybe I'll take a peek and see if I can figure which of yours are "passionate" and which are "pushing through" (labored, I presume).

Hey, maybe I'll write an article about such differences! An interesting thought, anyway.

Thank you for your helpful comment. Blessings!

9. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 4 years ago

Well, a lot of it is rewritten and rehashed. smile

10. Eurofile profile image97
    Eurofileposted 4 years ago

I am fairly new to Hub Pages so all my articles are 'live'. Is there a limit to how many we can keep up? Is it advisable to delete some? Obviously if one was way out of date I would delete or revise it. I am trying to update the older ones when I can.

1. OldRoses profile image95
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I've never seen anything limiting the number of articles you are allowed to publish on HubPages.  It's a good idea to review and revise all of your articles regularly to keep them fresh and up to date.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)