Is it preferred to have an article of about 2000 word count?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Ashraf Sheera 1 profile image47
    Ashraf Sheera 1posted 4 years ago

Hi there,
    I was preparing a hub for publishing. After I finished my article, it has slightly more than 2000 words in total. So my question is, whether this article has the potential for getting more traffic or not?

1. samanthacubbison profile image82
      samanthacubbisonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hi Ashraf,

We ask that articles be at least 800 words long, though we suggest shooting for 1150 – 1500. 2000 words is totally fine, but be sure that you state your point and outline the contents of your article towards the top. For longer articles, this is especially important.

Word count doesn't really have anything to do with whether your article is chosen for a Network Site or not, though articles that are too thin probably won't be accepted.

Ashraf Sheera 1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your answer. If I have some more things to discuss before discussing the promised content, will creating a table of contents help me?

It depends on the content. If you're writing a "10 Reasons Why __" article, then yes, it's a good idea to have a ToC. The same goes for "How to Start a Garden" article. You can outline the steps in a ToC to let the reader know what they're getting into. I suggest reading articles on similar topics to see how others format it!

2. profile image0
        Marisa Writesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I've been away from HubPages for a while, but the 1150-1500 word count was the "sweet spot" for a very long time. However, I recall hearing that Paul had noticed very long Hubs were doing really well - i.e., those over 2000 words.  Is that still the case?

Hi Marisa,

I haven't noticed any trends as of late, but I can look into it. I think it depends on the content and quality. Some topics don't do as well as others, so even if the article is 2000 words, it may not get the same attention as another. Also, if a 2000 word article is poorly structured, readers will probably click away.

Sometimes you can say what you have to say in fewer than 1150–1500 words, and that's ok. I recommend that authors write without a number in mind. There is always time to cut or add more content.

So the quality, as well as the length, is matters here. Right?

2. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Bear in mind that most people are reading your article on their phones so longer is not always better because their attention span is shorter than if they were reading your article in print or on a computer.

1. profile image0

...but also bear in mind that you have to satisfy two audiences.  One is the real people who will appreciate your article, but the other is Google.  And if you don't satisfy Google, those real people will never find your article.

The real people generally want a quick answer to a problem.   But Google wants long, information-rich articles.  It's a contradiction we have to live with. 

The way to solve it lies in how you structure the article. Never write long introductions.  Cut to the chase and convince your reader you can answer their question in the first paragraph.  Answer their question as soon as you can, then expand on your answer in the rest of the Hub.

It is correct. We have a contradiction between real people and Google. I sorted my article and placed a "Table of Contents" just followed by the introduction. I think those who came to read particular information can forward if they wish to.

3. FelishiyaPS profile image86
      FelishiyaPSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hi Ashraf,

Here's my personal experience. I hope it'll be helpful:
      1. Articles with 850 are pretty descent too. I have an article that I published in 2016 and it still ranks on the first page. I definitely updated it regularly.

2. Articles with 2000 words are more or less normal length now. I am quite inspired by Neil Patel's blog. Almost each of his blog posts is more than 5000 words and they always rank on the first page.

3. If your article is on a unique subject, 800 to 1000 words are sufficient.

4. If you write on a common topic, it's better to elaborate on it as much as you can. Just make sure to include the summary in the starting.

5. Follow Google's algorithm update, they're very helpful.

Thank you very much for sharing your personal experience. Where can I find Google's algorithm? Any official site for this?

1. FelishiyaPS profile image86
          FelishiyaPSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Moz and blog.google are very helpful sites. You can also follow @searchliaison on Twitter for the latest search updates.

Thank you very much. You are such a helping person.

1. profile image0

When reading those sites, do bear in mind that your HubPages account is NOT a blog, and it's also not a website.

You are contributing articles to websites that belong the HubPages. That's all.  Google doesn't look at your account as a whole. It judges each niche site as a whole, and most of the articles on those sites are not yours.

2. JerryFisher profile image92
    JerryFisherposted 4 years ago

Hi there Ashraf - I find the more words I submit on an article the higher Hubpages seem to rate the score. I try for 3000 minimum and they seem to rate those at about 90 plus, whereas if I'm lazy and drop in a 750 word article I get punished with a score of like 75. But also I believe the higher word articles do seem to get pushed up in Google ratings, although the trick seems to be for Google's sake is to keep adding once a week a new fresh paragraph or more. They like that. Also, if you submit a 3000 plus word article Hubpages are very likely to drop it into their higher categories such as dengarden, where it will get more traffic, and hence more Google traffic.

Hi JerryFisher. Thank you for your kind answer. I think adding a paragraph once a week is not practically possible if you have 500 featured articles. As for me, it is a practicable strategy.

I get something valuable from you. Having more words will make it worthier, right? So it is clear that I can move forward with my 2000 words article.

3. bhattuc profile image84
    bhattucposted 4 years ago

I do not think that more length of article is any advantage. Normally 1500 to 2000 words is a good band.

But, most of the bloggers prefer more length. My doubt was, is that okay in HP.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

2000 words seems like a lot. I generally shoot for 900-1000 words.

Thank you for the response FatFreddysCat. Are you getting good traffic from search engines?

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

I think length is a proxy for having a reasonably in depth and substantial topic. Fluffing up the words does no good.  I have many articles down around 500 words that do well because they are about something very specific and of interest to a niche audience--not some blathering about how to be a better person or eat vegetables.

Do you recommend a narrow niche?

6. sachnikh profile image63
    sachnikhposted 4 years ago

Hello Ashraf, I hope you're doing great!

So, here is my personal experience with HubPages so far
    1. Considering 800 words as the minimum, you should describe and write all the things that you think will give value to the readers.

If your article has already reached the 2,000-word count mark, and you think, more information and value could be added then do that. Don't hesitate to write more than what is required or suggested.

2. Many prominent bloggers write more than 1,500 words articles which are said to rank better on Google search. However, you should also be able to deliver that quality throughout such a long-form article.

3. If you have written an article after proper research on a topic and has checked the plagiarism, 1,000-1,200 words write-ups are more than sufficient on HubPages.

4. Try to use relevant keywords while writing an article. It doesn't mean inserting the keywords wherever you think it relevant. Be sure to mention it in the beginning, in the body text, and in the end, most probably in the conclusion to rank your article better.

I hope it helps.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)