What is the greatest compliment a writer wishes to receive?

Jump to Last Post 51-91 of 91 discussions (115 posts)
  1. cableguy47 profile image56
    cableguy47posted 7 years ago

Your story really touched me.  I empathized with your characters and truly cared what happened to them.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years ago

Most feedback on your writing is only good.  People who don't like your book or poem or hub, usually just don't say anything. 
    Recently I received my first bad reviews of my last book.  At first I was devastated, because I was used to encouraging feedback.  But after a while I reconsidered.  I realized at least they reacted strongly.  I'd made them feel strongly - even if it wasn't pleasant for me. 
    Those two reviews might be the greatest compliments I've received as a writer. At least I wasn't writing milk toast!

3. gavinmanerowski profile image60
    gavinmanerowskiposted 7 years ago

The greatest compliment I wish to receive is that you should take part in a competition for one of the finest blogs on the net.

1. KayleeMayy profile image59
      KayleeMayyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think the best compliment a writer can receive are praises on his/her book or article with the words "It was eye catching and addictive and I can't wait to see more!"

4. profile image52
    tusharikaposted 7 years ago

I wrote a story in a magazine. Someone read it somewhere. One fine day, I got a call from the unknown reader who told me that my story was really good, that one rarely comes across such writing these days. He added that he went to the extent of contacting the magazine publisher to procure my contact number because he wanted to compliment me at any cost. He had to try the magazine office several times and keep a follow-up until he got my number.
    What can be a greater compliment?

5. profile image52
    frumpletonposted 7 years ago

Getting published. That tells the writer, "Hey, someone who knows the business really likes my work!"   It can be a book publisher, a newspaper, a magazine, etc.   I think that publishers have good insight on what the reader would like and if your work gets published, you help others as well as yourself.

6. profile image54
    Park Ji Kristenposted 7 years ago

They would love if someone says '' This is my favorite book so far '' Well thats what i would love to hear from someone

7. Sehar Kamran profile image60
    Sehar Kamranposted 7 years ago

For me, the greatest compliment is when somebody says that my words guide them and bring positive vibes in them too.

8. StephanieWeemhoff profile image63
    StephanieWeemhoffposted 7 years ago

Criticism. If a writer wishes to grow in their craft, they would want constructive criticism on their work. Why?
    1. It means someone read your writing. They have thought about it, and developed some ideas. There. The writing is already influential.
    2. It means you have potential to look into cultivating. If you had reached as far as you could go, you would no longer receive criticism. It means you are capable of striving to meet the next level. Rather than a one and done compliment that makes you feel good, you are launched into new thinking, brainstorming, challenging yourself and coming out a stronger writer for it. You have become invested in the journey and others are invested with you in the exchange.

9. profile image49
    hema777posted 7 years ago

Compliment Quotes from BrainyQuote, an extensive collection of quotations by famous authors, celebrities, and newsmakers. To be trusted is a greater compliment than.
    http://www.rationaltechnologies.com/

10. profile image53
    alacartesianposted 7 years ago

..."wait!...wait!...(breathless, fresh & beautiful - running towards... ME - yes, me as The Famous Writer...here she is now, running down the street, she stops and says with a charming smile in her eyes)...oh...at the corner shop, I saw you in the reflection of the glass & oh my goodness,  it really IS you..you are (fill in your name), my most favorite writer. Will you marry me?  No, I'm just joking, but I did want to say that your book changed my life!  I mean seriously.  One day I'm living the yuppie life in Boulder in the mid-80's and the next thing you know, I'm living in a jungle where I can't spend $100 a month because there's no economy.  I mean, my friends really can't believe it.  They say, "you are the only one of us who chased her dreams".  But at the time, they thought I was going thru a very very early 25 year mid-life crisis wherein  I quit my law practice, divorced my domestic partner of too many asexual years, took a beautiful Brazillian lover 10 years younger who brought me back to life & then when that was done, I met another beautiful on in a sandstorm in a refugee camp.  That happened after I'd quite my Jury Doctor gig in Miami & ran of to Africa to build hospitals & save starving children in war zones.  So, because I read you book, I did those things.  And because I read you second book, I realize that everything I did in the first book was in fact, not as important as HOW I lived that.  So thanks to book 2, I got to fully and authentically live all those experiences & that was simply...i have not words (wipes away a happy tear and smiles).  So, sorry, just a littler overwhelming to be in your presence & so really did not want to make an ass out of myself.  Really..what I wanted.. I just wanted to meet you & say thanks....hey...i have an idea....well, if i can charm you a bit & if you have 10 minutes to have a coffee - I know a funky artsy coffee bar around the corner.  I have some ideas I want to share w/ you for you next story...or maybe a collaboration.  Or here's another idea:  If you want to observe, write and join in,  I'm going to the Everglades in the end of Jan & staying on the Seminole reservation...doing some birdwatching and gator mapping from kayaks, down there", she said, looking into the western sky.  and then meaningfully into this besotted writer's belladonna eyes".  So yeah, something along those sweetly spun daydreams wherein the ego of the author brings all things wanted ( or unwanted yet a great story!) thru an ever-revolving, evolving door.

11. RUPAL PANDEY profile image60
    RUPAL PANDEYposted 7 years ago

If your one single writing has the power to make even a bit of a difference in someone's life, its the greatest achievement for a writer...

12. TheAlexisChantel profile image59
    TheAlexisChantelposted 7 years ago

For me personally, I would think the greatest compliment is something along the lines of "I love/can relate to -insert character-" or just talking about a character you created in general. I suppose that's because I put a lot of time and background into the characters until they are important to me, and the rest of the story is created around them. So if a character touches a reader enough for them to compliment the character, then it becomes something special.

13. stas karimov profile image61
    stas karimovposted 7 years ago

Writers have written thousands of books. How to find the truth in these books? Any writer knows more than a reader knows. I suggested that Moscow publishing house should create an information filter. Moscow publishing house refused. I offer to the Americans - let's together create an information filter. I offer to know the truth about everything! To create an information filter is to be the most powerful in the world. Anyone would pay any money to find out the truth.
    We can not change the world. Bad people do not read (good) books. We can create harmony. Harmony is when all people think and act the same way. I am a Russian writer. I'm looking for like-minded people. I do not need money. I do not need rewards and compliments. I just want to live among like-minded people.

14. profile image52
    Erica Dsouzaposted 7 years ago

For a writer, it would be nice to hear someone appreciate the work and say that they are going to recommend it to someone as a page- turner.

Looking forward to reading more from this author.

1. RUPAL PANDEY profile image60
      RUPAL PANDEYposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You have answered very beautifully. But I would like to add not only page-turner but also page-admirer...

15. laurawaters profile image60
    laurawatersposted 7 years ago

A literary agent once told me, an aspiring bomb disposal army officer, that she didn't want me to get myself blown up in the army but wanted me to be a writer. That was pretty magical

16. Fiorenzo Arcadi profile image68
    Fiorenzo Arcadiposted 7 years ago

A writer has to differentiate between accolades and criticism. Accolades accomplish very little while criticism accomplishes knowledge. When a writer masters his field, there's no amount of accolades that will suffice to make the story better.

If the greatest virtue for a writer is to receive payment, then they may just be diluted with the amount of pennies in their bank account. One needs to master a field and run with it. If Socrates was able to criticize every disposition with a question then why should writers be absolved with criticism?

You can evoke a memory, but unless it encompasses the multitudes it achieves absolutely nothing. A few readers does not make a great writer, the discipline is based on hard-work rather than monetary gain. If hard work becomes your cornerstone, then the discipline builds a wall that no one can penetrate.

A good writer has to lead, not with frivolous information that one generates from Google, but with real thinking that escalates the ambiguous world that we live in and why we exist within that world.

17. Araaz profile image61
    Araazposted 7 years ago

that my writing is original...always..being a poet I always wish the reader may understand it briefly atleast..

18. TLilly15 profile image60
    TLilly15posted 7 years ago

To me it would make me, it would make me feel good, when a reader tells me they enjoy me  writing, and they want to read more, of my articles.

19. profile image0
    johnmariowposted 7 years ago

Your characterization was excellent and your characters "came alive" for me as I read your short story.

20. Cathyrin profile image44
    Cathyrinposted 7 years ago

"Your words changed me". I think that's the best compliment ever- to not just move the mind and the heart of a man but to also change a man's mindset and life. smile

21. Don Fairchild profile image69
    Don Fairchildposted 6 years ago

A request for your autograph!
    With a thankful thought as icing on the cake.

22. Theophanes profile image88
    Theophanesposted 6 years ago

For me it's "Your writing made me laugh, cry, see something in a different light, or puke." Why puke? Just because that's an involuntary visceral reaction so if you hit it with your writing good for you! You provoked a STRONG reaction!

23. ionestevens profile image68
    ionestevensposted 6 years ago

Greatest compliment:

"Your words moved me."

24. profile image56
    Priya Patelposted 6 years ago

Hearing "i have read your articles a number of times"

25. Rims11 profile image55
    Rims11posted 6 years ago

For me it would be, "I was completely absorbed in your piece that I could not even realize when the day ended".

26. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 6 years ago

Well that depends on the age and gender of the person.

Girl age 18-30 "Omg you write so good I want you to have my babies!"
    Boy age 18-30 "I admire your excellence and manner in all the crafted words you and your impressive intellectual mind has gifted upon the planet."

Thats just what im thinking in response to your question tho, theres a lot more categories and situations smile

-thranax

27. profile image0
    Issy Clarkeposted 6 years ago

I think I would feel most flattered if someone felt my work was thought provoking or had inspired them to think differently.

28. Tamarah Cargile profile image61
    Tamarah Cargileposted 6 years ago

The greatest compliments that I could receive from my writings would be that it evoked another persons feelings or emotions, that they gained new knowledge or were encouraged to reconsider a particular point I was emphasizing. That my words made a difference.

29. clivewilliams profile image71
    clivewilliamsposted 6 years ago

You are a great writer. Here is a contract worth 10 million Dollars.

30. Deon Christie profile image44
    Deon Christieposted 6 years ago

In my opinion, appreciation is sufficient reward in its own. And the knowing that your content provided the answer they were looking for. Even if it was just inspiration, it's the appreciation that counts.

31. Natasha Karamanli profile image60
    Natasha Karamanliposted 5 years ago

The best I think, is your story really moved me. I can tell that  there is someone out there who feels like I do.

32. Rupita profile image61
    Rupitaposted 5 years ago

The best compliment would be that they understood what I am trying to express. They felt the same emotion what I 've felt.

33. profile image0
    PoetikalyAnointedposted 5 years ago

Hello, Newbie here!

I know that this thread has so many responses but I wanted to add my 2 cents as well.

I agree that receiving affirmation of your message is a very beautiful thing! I also appreciate when a nay-sayer is given food for thought from your message. Complimented your style of writing or even given your work a change-despite the style. Having a reader tell me that they were touched by what I've written-that'll get me every time lol.

34. profile image53
    Melrose777posted 5 years ago

I noticed that myself...... views off the chart but only a hand full of comments!

1. Francesca mcbarron profile image60
      Francesca mcbarronposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure why people don't put at least yes I like it or no you suck!
      that was a joke sorry hehe

35. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

Royalties are great...but I also love to learn that my article helped them and made a difference . big_smile

36. Francesca mcbarron profile image60
    Francesca mcbarronposted 5 years ago

I think that is excellent money honey smile

37. Tomasz Golap profile image60
    Tomasz Golapposted 5 years ago

ok

38. Kyler J Falk profile image90
    Kyler J Falkposted 4 years ago

The willful sharing of their content, and praise of it, without their actively knowing about it. There is nothing I find more fulfilling and complimentary than stumbling upon someone discussing, sharing, and praising my work without my first having known about it.

39. aketuk profile image60
    aketukposted 3 years ago

From my own perspective, the best compliment is financial, it has a way of motivating writers

40. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

"What is the greatest compliment a writer wishes to receive?"

Getting bookmarked.

41. yoursflo profile image78
    yoursfloposted 3 years ago

It's by being recommended or mentioned by another writer who is highly respected and a veteran in the field. For me that's the greatest compliment.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)