Updating articles

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (23 posts)
  1. emge profile image80
    emgeposted 2 years ago

I was going through all my articles and they are a fairly substantial number. Out of these many of them, were written years back and still get some viewership of and on but I have a feeling that they look a little dated and hence I have started slowly to revise them and of course if there is an article which I feel is now redundant I'd like to take it off.
    What is the opinion of the general members of the site? Do you feel your old articles that gather some views need to be updated or maybe made a little more topical? how do you feel that some articles should be deleted simply because now do not conform to the present era as they were written years back? I have not any firm opinion on this matter but I have definitely decided to revise some of my articles and that would mean taking a lot of time as I would not be writing any new articles. Time also is at a premium as I am busy with other work.,

1. OldRoses profile image93
      OldRosesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I update all of my articles every year.  My traffic has increased exponentially since I started doing it.  I start January 1 and work through them, starting with the most popular and ending weeks later with the least popular.

1. emge profile image80
        emgeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree this is the best course which you have adopted and I think I will follow it also.

2. DreamerMeg profile image81
        DreamerMegposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Good to know. I only update my articles when I have something new to add but it might be useful to go through them all and check up on something new to add. Thank you.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image68
      Miebakagh57posted 2 years agoin reply to this

emge, you're not alone in that.                                      How about updating an article per week with new information?                                   Seriously, you don't have to delete any article. Likewise update them to conform with present realitier where that is necessary.                                                      While doing all these, it would take you at most 3 weeks to write a well research and factual new story a month.

1. emge profile image80

Miebakagh, yes sir, you have given sane advice. I think I will now not delete any article and try and bring it in line.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image68

emge, you're welcome. And besides as others have suggested, deleting certain articlds is reducing view points. Glad that you let them stay. Much thanks.

3. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Remember if you delete them your views will be subtracted from your total of all articles if that means anything to you.

1. emge profile image80

Tsmog, thanks, I hadn't thought about this aspect. Yes sir, it's a timely reminder as I have some articles with thousands of views.

2. ChitrangadaSharan profile image88
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 2 years ago

Hello M G Singh Ji!
    Updating articles is important, to keep them relevant, according to the changing times. I do it regularly.
    There are some, which don’t gather much views. But updating always helps with an increased traffic.
    It also depends on which topic, you usually write. The current affairs, or political topics, need to be updated more. In any case, if there are no views, it’s better to delete them.
    Even the best performing articles, need to be updated.
    Hope that helps.

1. emge profile image80

Chitra, that's a nice suggestion, my only point is that I have not updated my articles for years and now I have a real job on my hands.

1. DreamerMeg profile image81
        DreamerMegposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Just start with one, then another one. No matter how slowly you go, you still have done more than you had before.

3. ravirajan01 profile image94
    ravirajan01posted 2 years ago

Yes updating is important to be done regularly. In fact updating my old articles is helping me to get them selected in niche sites where there was good chances of traffic increase.

4. emge profile image80
    emgeposted 2 years ago

That's a good answer which I agree with entirely. I am now in the process of updating my articles, something I should have done long back. Thanks for your comment.

5. bhattuc profile image85
    bhattucposted 2 years ago

Though I am not able to devote time for updating but I strongly beIieve that it gives a new life to our old articles.

6. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

MG, I go through my old articles from time to time, usually starting with those with the lowest scores and update and improve them. I have so many though it takes time. I rarely ever delete any.

1. emge profile image80

Jodah, old pal, thanks for your point about deletion I think I will not delete any article now.

7. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 2 years ago

Definitely edit everything at least once/year. If there are Amazon links involved, you need to do it much more than that. HP recommendations on hubs have changed over the years, so the editing needs to reflect that. Info also needs to be up to date. It also helps with Google if it looks like a hub has been edited to improve it.

If I've spent years regularly editing a hub and it obviously isn't going anywhere (less than 30 views/month?), then I usually delete it. Some of my early attempts at articles can seem frankly embarrassing viewed through my more experienced eye.

1. emge profile image80

Paul, that's sane advice.  Yes, I agree and follow your recipe. The point is I haven't updated my article for years, so I have a job on my hands.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
        PaulGoodman67posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Current HP advice is to spend 80% of time editing and 20% creating new material. That's how important editing has become.

As it is so time-consuming, I think you have to become selective on what you choose to edit and what you decide is a no-hoper. That's my approach anyway.

1. emge profile image80

Yes, you have a point Paul and will keep it in mind.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image68

I agree and am completely with you.                                                     In editing or re-editing an article, a writer or author comes across mistakes in sentense(ce) or grammar, punctuations, and mechanical errors.                                             Seriously, when all these drawbacks were detected and remove, and if new content that is evergreen or unique is added, traffic began to rise.                                                    So, editing an article regularly is worthwhile.

8. Kenna McHugh profile image90
    Kenna McHughposted 2 years ago

I update all the time. It helps keep a smile on my face when I see my impressions and CPM.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)