Gun violence

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Stephen Tomkinson profile image90
    Stephen Tomkinsonposted 24 months ago

After today's horrific incident in Sacramento, isn't it time that Americans started taking gun control seriously?

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 24 months agoin reply to this

Not in America, Stephen, after all, guns don't kill people, people kill people........

2. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 24 months agoin reply to this

There are already somewhere around 300 thousand gun laws. Seems pretty serious to me.

Federal Gun Laws
      https://gunlawsuits.org/gun-laws/federal-gun-laws/

3. lions44 profile image93
      lions44posted 24 months agoin reply to this

FBI stats on state murder rates 2018-2019 (I believe 2020 is similar):

Louisiana has the highest murder rate in the U.S. of 14.4 murders per 100,000 residents. Murders are disproportionately concentrated in New Orleans, which has a murder rate of about 37 per 100,000 residents.

Alabama has the second-highest murder rate of 12.9 murders per 100,000 residents.

Mississippi has the third-highest murder rate in the United States. Mississippi’s murder rate is 12.7 murders per 100,000 residents.

All of them have very loose gun laws, but so does Vermont, Wyoming and Utah, which have low murder rates/gun deaths.  It's a combo of factors: weak gun laws, large pop., and social issues.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 24 months agoin reply to this

There is no correlation at all between the gun ownership rates and the homicide rate anywhere in the world.  Weak gun laws aren't affecting anything.  There is something else - something perhaps unique in American culture - that causes the violence in America, and we steadfastly refuse to address it or even acknowledge it.  Instead we continue the fight to disarm our population.

1. lions44 profile image93

I stated in my last sentence that it is a combination of factors. But weak gun laws (lack of background checks, etc.) do contribute.  The mentally ill and bad guys can easily get weapons in many states.   I would bet that 75% of the weapons used in mass shootings are legally purchased, regardless of whether it's NY or Texas. 
          Getting a gun in NYC is difficult, but all I have to do is drive to the Poconos (90 min away) and buy one. There is no waiting period in PA.   Over 30% of Americans own a gun. We are not being disarmed.

You're a responsible gun owner, like most of the gun owners I know. However, I've known a few nuts/bad guys who should not have had weapons of any kind but bought them at the local gun store. How do you stop them from obtaining a gun?

"I would bet that 75% of the weapons used in mass shootings are legally purchased, regardless of whether it's NY or Texas. "

Untrue.  The (very) large majority of mass murderers did not purchase their weapon legally.  Unless, of course, it was not a gun - matches, fertilizer, cars, etc. are freely available.

1. lions44 profile image93

Those are FBI stats. Call them if you have a problem.

Since OK City, how many mass murders have been committed using fertilizer?  Not the best example.

2. Stephen Tomkinson profile image90

So if we swapped guns for skillets, they'd batter each other to death?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 24 months agoin reply to this

in a civilized society we should not need guns.

The pertinent quest would be to induce civilization, some how.
      For instance, letting in uncivilized, desperate people from other vicious countries and situations will not help induce civilization.
      What will?

2. wilderness profile image94

How about if you swap guns for poison, knives, bats (more people bludgeoned to death than killed with all long guns combined, including that dreaded "assault" rifle), cars, etc?  If you're going to be silly (batter them to death with a skillet) you can include swords, axes, biological agents, chain saws and a dozen other things.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Yes, let us carry swords.
        ban guns.

Who are we needing to protect ourselves from?

This is the question.

1. Ken Burgess profile image79
          Ken Burgessposted 24 months agoin reply to this

Ask Ukrainians that.

What happened to the Germans in the 30s after they were forced to give up their guns?

And for those who would deny that German citizens were disarmed (because I know there are plenty of "Left leaning" and "fact check" sites that fabricate that lie):

https://www.nationalreview.com/2013/12/ … -halbrook/

1. Readmikenow profile image95
            Readmikenowposted 24 months agoin reply to this

You make a valid point about Ukraine.

MOST people had a firearm of some kind.  Even in the cities.  There were never mass shootings like there are in the United States.

You may not see it in the news, but there were small towns in the Ukraine that defended themselves with shot guns, other hunting rifles as well as handguns.  These were weapons used by civilian citizens.  They of course captured the Russian rifles and the ammunition of those who had fallen in battle, but without citizens owning guns, Ukraine would have had a much worse time.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

- oh. the problem is swords used to do a pretty good job in battles and in defending damsels in distress and oneself, but then guns were invented.
            Darn it.
            Meandering thoughts:
            Well, if we did carry swords we could wear armor and carry shields ... Would all that metal protect us from gun shots/bullets?
            What is the material in protective vests?
            Comedians may need to wear some type of protective gear as we saw one comedian at the Grammys wearing. Its ridiculous.
            What is happening to us? I guess we should just buckle up, be prepared and get used to it.
            Darn, again.

2. Ken Burgess profile image79

Didn't someone just commit mass murder with a car not too long ago?

I know they made the story disappear quick because it was someone who posted he wanted to kill all white people or something like that.

But the point is, if you want to commit mass murder you do not need a gun.

Timothy McVeigh is another good example.

Yes they did. 

In fact there is a tiny portion of murders carried out with the so-called "assault" guns...so we go after those guns with fake terminology and fear rather than addressing the problem.  It works well for politicians spreading fear to buy votes and it works for those ignorant of guns, though.

3. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 24 months agoin reply to this

My comment was a sarcastic one....

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 24 months ago

"A lot of victims with blood, just watching some of the families that didn’t know if their loved one was alive, running, trying to figure out what was happening, people distraught, people discombobulated," Accius said. "It was just horrific."

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/loca … 85cc0925a8

4. Stephen Tomkinson profile image90

My comment about skillets was too glib, I apologize. However, we in Europe don't understand the obsession with guns that (some) Americans have. Of course, it's true that you don't need a gun to kill someone but few other weapons cause such havoc.

Curious... if someone breaks into your home with the intent to harm you how are you going to stop them?

If society breaks down, how are you going to protect yourself or your home?

In America, in states where it is legal to carry openly or carry concealed you hardly ever hear of mass murders, because those that begin to try and commit mass murder are killed pretty quickly.

5. Stephen Tomkinson profile image90

Is that true, Ken?

It is, these tragedies are stopped everyday, and the news rarely mentions them, perhaps local news, rarely if ever on the national news.

However the Mass Murders that do occur, almost always occur in a school or church, where weapons usually are not allowed.  One was in a theater in a "gun free" county... it being "gun free" means only criminals will have guns.

Some examples:

https://preparedgunowners.com/2016/06/1 … e-killers/

https://www.reactionarytimes.com/texas- … -citizens/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/am … ad-n706381

6. Readmikenow profile image95
    Readmikenowposted 24 months ago

I've always said, if there is an effective way to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, I will give up my conceal carry permit.  It is obvious gun laws DO NOT work.  Responsible gun owners should not be punished,  That happens after every shooting, punish the responsible for the actions of criminals.

7. Stephen Tomkinson profile image90

But there are also too many accidental deaths caused by firearms.

1. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 24 months agoin reply to this

I am lost . . . who are you responding too? Or, is this just a general reply?

2. Readmikenow profile image95

There are also too many accidental deaths from automobiles...what's your point?

8. Stephen Tomkinson profile image90

General tsmog. I am sure that most gun owners are responsible people. But accidents do happen.

9. Stephen Tomkinson profile image90

Yes, of course, but people need cars.

1. Readmikenow profile image95

I've known people who live in cities around the world and have never owned a car.  I've even known people who have lived in rural areas and didn't have a car.  Just ask the Amish.  Driving in the US is considered a privilege.

2. wilderness profile image94

Do they?  Or do they simply want to live in the suburbs and commute rather than live near their job?  I'd agree that rural people need a car (groceries may be 20 miles or more) but urban folks?  People with bus/subway service?  No, they don't need one.

All of which has zero to do with the fact that our Constitution does not indicate a need in order to own a gun.

10. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 24 months ago

The best policy is to make sure gun-use for private citizens comes along with gun training and safety courses.
    Perhaps guns can only be purchased with proof of classes and completion with a Certificate of Gun Safety/Training.

Who would conduct the safety course?
    The Red American Red Cross, of course.

No ACR certificate, no Gun.

No?

I doubt that gun training will keep a murderer from pointing his weapon at someone and pulling a trigger.

11. Stephen Tomkinson profile image90

Hi, wilderness. The way I read it, the Constitution does establish a need. The need to have a militia ready to defend the country.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)