Vegans v vegetarians?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (24 posts)
  1. hinckles koma profile image59
    hinckles komaposted 14 years ago

Can someone explain the difference, and what is actually better for health?

1. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Health differences, minimal/unconfirmed

vegetarian= no eating of animals

vegans = no eating/wearing of any animal products (period)
      careful to avoid seemingly animal free products that use meat byproducts or anything derived from cruelty to animals

2. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

I say this should be discussed over a nice big bloody steak!

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

with a side of chicken!

3. profile image0
    Louidam1posted 14 years ago

I never even knew there was a difference.

4. hinckles koma profile image59

yeah tofu is a big thing with vegans i think is that all they eat?

1. torimari profile image67
      torimariposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Omfg.

And, really, there is a big difference. :s Vegetarians usually can eat just about anything meat-eaters do except meat...vegans are very limited. You'd be surprised what has animal products in it.

Anyhoo, like was mentioned, vegetarians (like meee) do not eat meat, but usually eat dairy (eggs, milk, cheese).

Some people claim to be vegetarians and eat fish still...but as that is a form of an animal's meat, don't be fooled by them. smile

Vegans try to avoid anything containing animal products whether in food, clothing, or other products.

Some vegans/vegetarians are stricter than others.

For example, my friend who is a vegan uses unbleached sugar because normal, white sugar is bleached with animal bones. Some vegans don't go that far. Some don't eat marshmallows, Jello or gummy bears (there is a vegan versions tho) because they contain gelatin (collagen from animal bones...or something to that extent).

As a vegetarian, I don't drink milk at all, and rarely eat cheese (for me....it's more so because milk makes me ill).
      I eat eggs however.

I also do NOT eat tofu and rarely drink soy milk as I don't like the taste. I know vegans who don't or rarely eat tofu and eat RAW veggies and fruits. Meaning they primarily do not cook their vegetables because cooking can take some of the nutritional value away.

5. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

They would be Pescatarians (which I am)

Theres some good intro material here
    http://vegetarian-vitamins.net/

Exactly, which is fine...just some people I know don't understand the difference. smile Hehe oy vey.

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"...don't be fooled by them"...your warning is apt, we are a slippery folk who cant pick a team and slip within both carnivores and herbivores with nary a trace

tongue Pescatarians are omnivorous like most of humanity so I guess the gray area there would be you don't eat poultry or red meat.

It's the people who eat fish or chicken yet insist they are vegetarians that are 'slippery.' I think this happens just because people misunderstand what a vegetarian is or know the right term for their diet.

Just wanted to make it clear since there still is a lot of confusion over what vegetarianism is. ;D

6. teendad profile image60
    teendadposted 14 years ago

A friend of mine who used to be a vegetarian finally gave in to the dark side over a nice Chateaubriand.

7. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

vegetarians = won't eat anything that moves (no meat, including no chicken, fish, etc.)

vegans = won't eat meat OR anything animal in nature (including milk, eggs, and even honey)

8. hinckles koma profile image59

so what are some vegan meals? and some vegetarian meals?  what suppliments meat?

9. heart4theword profile image61
    heart4thewordposted 14 years ago

I have some experience with this topic.

Vegetarian, some do eat fish or chicken once in awhile and still call themselves vegetarian.  But most would consider a true vegeterian to eat no meat.

Vegan Vegetarian, a true vegan, will not eat any honey, jello, meat, eggs, milk, & cheese. 

Some that I know eat allot of product with soy in them.  Will even eat fake meat...but like the others said will not wear any leather.

Our experience has been that vegans can not, even stand to have leather furniture, shoes, jackets or even leather seats in a car.

They can not stand the smell of meat being cooked at get togethers or family functions. 

Will even go to the extent of bringing their own pots, pans and utensils to cook their own food in. 

I respect how others want to eat, it is their choice.  I try not to eat meat around them.  Yet one time I had bought some noodles to cook, and didn't realize they were egg noodles.  So I guess that too drove them out of the room. 

This is really hard on a family.  I grew up where allot of family holidays and get togethers was centered around food, and yes there was usually meat.  The food issue has put a wedge between us, because of their beliefs.

It seemed I would not realize it until we were there sitting in their living room, that I had leather shoes on and was carrying a leather purse...and wouldn't you know it the new car we bought had leather seat too:(  I felt like we just couldn't win.

I even tryed myself to eat vegan for 7 days.  It didn't work for me, my body kept getting weaker and weaker.  I couldn't eat any of the soy products either because I have thyroid problems.  Soy doesn't work well for those who have thyroid problems. 

Sorry this is so long....I just have to say I started to feel I was under the law.  I am so glad that in order to get to heaven someday you do not have to be vegan.  If a person can do it, with more raw vegetables, beans, rice....all the power to them I say.

10. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

Well ... animals eat plants and I eat animals ... so doesn't that make me a vegetarian by proxy? smile

1. deartfuldodger profile image61
      deartfuldodgerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most that choose to live these lifestyles do so due to ethical considerations. Once you learn that not only can you survive without feeding industries that thrive on suffering and greed at the expense of life, that you in fact feel healthier and if wise ARE healthier, its easy to be a bit of an evangelist and to not be amused by the jokes of those who never made the effort to try.

1. yoshi97 profile image56
        yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, our daughter is a vegetarian ... and why I don't proclaim to understand it, I'm proud of her for taking a stand on something she believes in and I never belittle her for her choice.

1. deartfuldodger profile image61
          deartfuldodgerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Comment wasnt directed at you..just pointing out that unlike say religious and political threads, where the most vocal tend to be the most uninformed and sheeple, a lifestyle choice like vegetarianism, veganism which can be difficult to begin considering our communities and families (at least here in the us) will be spoken up for by usually educated, informed strong people who made an attempt at something they believed in.

Im pretty sure the thread was just started as a promo trick and someone is using one account to ask questions and another to answer/draw attention to their hubs

Im actually in the process of publishing 3 hubs related to the topic myself, so im all amped up on research

and congrats to your daughter! ...maybe take some cues..be sure she keeps up on her protein and b vitamins, buy her some sublingual b12 and add more dark green vegetables to your table.

Just cutting down significantly on red meat will really help your health, all ethics aside...prostate cancer is virtually non-existent in samples of the veg community

11. hinckles koma profile image59

"Im pretty sure the thread was just started as a promo trick and someone is using one account to ask questions and another to answer/draw attention to their hubs

Im actually in the process of publishing 3 hubs related to the topic myself",                         No thats is uncorrect sir, i stareted the tread out of curiosity and thats all folks. love all koma.  Please dont guess ask me, i have no problem with the truth. How old is the girl?

12. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

I'm glad someone asked about vegetarianism and veganism...it is often misunderstood or the diet/lifestyle is merely bashed.

I think koma, who has 9 hubs and been here for awhile wasnot promoting herself or hubs under another account and had some sincere questions. It's clear it was a good topic because a lot of people here have different understandings of vegetarianism whether right, wrong or just another interpretation.

Rash assumptions like that--that she made this for mere promotion under some alter account--are rather silly.

13. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

She's 14 Koma ... and going through that evil teenage stage *ACK!* smile

14. hinckles koma profile image59

She has more knowledge then me on the subject. lol

15. Blogging Erika profile image68
    Blogging Erikaposted 14 years ago

I call myself "mostly vegetarian."  I don't eat terrestrial meats, but I do occasionally eat fish. 

As for examples of vegetarian meals, here's what I had today:

Breakfast: Granola/yogurt parfait with a dollop of homemade raspberry jam for flava.

Lunch: Omelet stuffed with mushrooms roasted with garlic, and shredded Tillamook cheddar cheese.

Afternoon snack: Sliced honeycrisp apples sprinkled with salt, and with a few slices of Tillamook cheddar.

Dinner: Bean enchiladas (made just like the directions on the can of enchilada sauce specify, but substituting a can of refried beans for the beef).  Heavier on the cheese and sour cream than might be healthy, but it's Friday, I decided to "live a little."

Don't I sound just TERRIBLY DEPRIVED?! :-D

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)