Turning Off Adsense on Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

I have a love/hate relationship with Adwords and Adsense.

A lot of times it's great - and at other times I think it's just plain dumb to use it. For example, in cases where the ads that will be served up would be in conflict with the purpose of the page on which they appear.

One of my hubs discusses the disadvantages of unlimited web hosting. And the ads that appear are - of course - advertisements for unlimited web hosting.

This creates a dissonance for me, so I have turned adverts off.
    This also makes the page much cleaner to read, and allows people to focus on the content without distractions..

On another hub about Home Security and Bump Keys, I've left the adverts on - because the ads that will be served might be helpful to readers.

So my questions are:

1. Will HubPages give any sort of penalty to my "no adverts" pages because they do not make any revenue?

2. If most of my hubs end up with no adverts (as they are now), will my author ranking suffer?

2. dodonnell profile image59
    dodonnellposted 15 years ago

While I don't know the answer to your questions, I would hate to think that it was the case. It would mean that despite the quality of your content you would be disadvantaged due to not making Hubpages any revenue.

There couldn't be a no-ads penalty... could there?

3. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

No, you do not get penalized for that. One restriction though - as far as I remember, hubs without ads should not be promotional and should not have any outgoing links. If this is not the case, hubs are considered commercial, and ads will be back as soon as such a hub appears on the radar smile

1. darkside profile image64
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

There is one outgoing link from that hub, but it's not a site owned by Eric or is it something he would have a vested interest in.

4. Eric Graudins profile image60

Thanks guys,

I have no financial or any other interest in the webhostingtalk.com site.
    It's just a resource for the reader to do more research that is relevant to the content of the hub.

Doesn't make sense to me that no links would be allowed on non commercial hubs .
    Surely the determining factor would be where the links went.

Oh well, I'll keep doing what I think is correct given the circumstances, and my understanding of the rules here.
    Hence the question I asked in this post.

If it all gets too hard, or nonsensical, I'll just unpublish and wander off into the night.

5. Eric Graudins profile image60

OK, got my answer from hub pages - along with a threat to ban me if I include a link in no advert hubs.

This will change the way I regard and use hubpages.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image71
      Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Eric, I don't remember threatening you.  This is the first I've seen of this thread.  Our system (and myself) do make mistakes.  If you have a question or concern regarding a certain hub or hubs, please email me at team@hubpages.com

6. Eric Graudins profile image60

Hi Maddie,
    Thanks for replying.

My reference to a reply from Hub Pages refers to an email from team@hubpages.com, about my hub
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Best-Web-Hosting-Service

This hub discusses the fact that there  is no "best webshost" out there. I talks about various types of web hosting that are available, and includes a link to the webhostingtalk website - which is a forum where thousands of people discuss web hosting.

When I wrote the hub, I stated that it was non commercial, and turned off adverts. I'm pretty certain I didn't change this, so either the system or someone at hubpages has now changed it to a commercial hub with maximum adverts because of that link.

OK, I can live with that, as the adverts don't really go against anything I have said in the hub.

The email from Hubpages also contained this:
    "All hubs that are monetized through a non-Hubpages affiliate mechanism or that have links to other sites must have an Ad Level of High (the default setting), and should be identified as such.  Repeated violations will result in the banning of your HubPages account."

That is what I regarded as a threat to close my account.

Ok, It's a fair cop. I broke the rules about links, because in my naivety I thought that a link to a non commercial site would not count. It obviously does. And after giving the matter a bit more thought, I can appreciate that every such link cannot be checked manually, so a blanket rule must apply.

So - In accordance with that directive, I have removed the link from my unlimited hosting hub, and replaced it with a plain text, unlinked version of the webhostingtalk url so that adverts for unlimited hosting do not appear in the hub.

Now, I don't know if this is against Hubpages rules too. Hopefully not.

I've never put any link to any of my services or products in a hub, as I had just wanted to provide people with useful information here without any self promotion.

This whole issue has made me realise what a hopelessly idealistic, naive idiot I am, so now I'll be shoving links and self promotion stuff in wherever and whenever I think it appropriate. (All In accordance with the HubPages rules - of course, and the email which also stated:
    "We encourage you to familiarize yourself with our Terms of Use before publishing again:" )

Kind Regards, Eric G.

1. SunSeven profile image60
      SunSevenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wow! you can make this as a hub!! smile

2. profile image0
      terrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No, thats not a fair comment. Obviously your not here to earn money but to honestly help others and you should be commended for that.

Perhaps you should use another forum other than hp such as your own blog where you will gather a following and not be worried about threats of closing your account.

A lot of people come and go here and it is cases like yours that probably drives them away.  One wants to help others and the other wants to make money off others.

I totally concur with your thoughts.

3. darkside profile image64
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I've seen this message before. It's not a personal threat. It's a form email.

They could do with writing it better, but don't take it personally.

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
        Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I know it is. But whether it's a form letter, or from a live person I need to take notice of what it says, and react accordingly. Thanks for your concern.
        (Don't worry, I'm not about to race out into the street with an axe and start swinging it at people as a result of this email smile

7. SunSeven profile image60
    SunSevenposted 15 years ago

HP is a great business model. They are here to make money. So are the writers. smile

8. Maddie Ruud profile image71
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

Hi Eric:

You still haven't taken my offer of emailing me privately to address your concerns, so I guess I'll respond to you here one more time, though email's a better and more sure way to get my attention.

I think, in this case, it was a mistake that caused your hub to be marked commercial.  Feel free to turn your ad settings back to low.  If this or something similar happens again, please email me directly so that I can remedy the situation immediately.  Forum threads don't always catch my attention, and I'd hate for you to continue to feel threatened or disgruntled with the HubPages service due to an oversight.

Thanks for your patience.

9. Eric Graudins profile image60

Thanks Maddie,
    Will email you later. Have to go out now.
    Eric G.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)