Looking for additional perspectives...

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 15 years ago

“The big difference between Republicans and liberal Democrats is the way each party views people. Republicans see us as individuals and respect our God-given human dignity. To liberal Democrats, we’re not individuals; we’re members of a herd with all the dignity of a cow or pig dependent on its owner for daily rations of hay or slop. Democrats see us as being white or as blacks or as straights or as gays, or as lesbians or as heterosexuals, or as rich or poor, or as Christians or as Jews or as Muslims, or as young or as old, as working or as retired, or as housewives or as career women. They submerge us into pools that define us as members of groups instead of as what we are as God sees us—as any father sees his children—each being different from one another, and each child being a separate and distinct individual with his or her own specific talents and abilities, and all deserving of his love... This Marxist view of human nature embraces group-think, despises individuality, and seeks to eliminate all vestiges of the dignity to which every human being created in the image and likeness of God is entitled. Only the hopes and aspirations of the groups matter, and they matter solely because they create dependency on the state—which seeks to supplant God as the source of all that is good and necessary for survival.” —Michael Reagan

SparklingJewelposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No, actually this is from this week's newsletter of a highly popular conservative site. My whole point was from the perspective that this is the usual and typical conservative perspective that I have been reading for years.

For anyone that doesn't know me, I do my best to not be on a "side", but to find ways to bring people to some degree of unity, to get more things accomplished to the benefit of everyone.

So, I was hoping to get some conversation going from the respective sides of any group.

Misha, do you understand where the author of this quote is coming from? Does it make sense to you what he is saying? What are your views on this quote. if I may ask?

1. Misha profile image64
        Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Jewel,
        I mostly am trying to stay away of politics cause it is always a choice between bad and worse, and not only in USA. Your quote nicely outlines shortcomings of USA democratic party - but I am sure republicans have theirs, too - and knol touched at least on some of them. smile

1. MrMarmalade profile image68
          MrMarmaladeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Your broad definition of one party and least said about the other is interesting.
          Throw in a bit of chili and pepper and it it would heat both parties up.

This is not "my" quote...it is a quote from a conservative blog.
            I was wondering what other people "read" out of this quote.

2. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

That's a nice quote Jewel, but probably a bit outdated. It refers to Bush's republican administration as much I think...

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

The republican party is the party of buisness, money and the corporations. They are for the rich. Since the rich are a minority, and would lose most elections, they
    promote 'we're against isssues' that morons love to get upset about, like abortion, immigration, gays, terrorists,
    Iranians, Palistinians the devil and whatever else might
    get votes. It is a scam called 'wedge issues' in politics.
    They have bankrupt the country. The only thing I find good about republicans is that they keep the democrats from raising my cigarette (sin) taxes.

4. barranca profile image75
    barrancaposted 15 years ago

American political language is thoroughly garbled.  We live in the tower of babel.  What is is what is not.  The conservative perspective you quote is an excellent example.  My problem with conservatives is not so much with their philosophy but their hypocrisy.  The same goes but to a lesser extent for democrats.  Broadly speaking, Democrats favor justice while Republicans favor freedom.  Obviously, both are worthy values but need to balanced by the other.  The tragedy is that both parties, when push comes to shove now, favor MONEY; justice and freedom be damned.  Republicans think they voted for a conservative in Bush but they got a radical: a tax less but spend more; killer of privacy rights; agressive warmonger; consitution abrogator.

5. TheCapn profile image59
    TheCapnposted 15 years ago

I think the quote is horribly biased. Michael Reagan is using polarizing rhetoric to create a vast difference between Democrats and Republicans where there really isn't one. Reagan's mechanism of choice: god. The entire quote is basically saying that Republicans like god and Democrats don't. That in itself would make the quote ludicrous enough were it not for the fact that it also seems to claim that Republicans don't care about voter demographics. I think it would be naive of anyone to think that a politician of any party didn't look at us by our demographics, it's what they thrive off of and how they get elected.

Also, notice how he mentions Marxism as if the Democrats somehow ascribe to be Marxist. I don't know what makes me sadder, that this poor style of argument is still in use today or that it actually works on a large amount of the population.

Yes, it can have a divisive effect. I see that democrats and conservatives can certainly have different understandings of God and how life works with God.

6. TheCapn profile image59
    TheCapnposted 15 years ago

I think religion is more or less used as a tool by politicians of all parties. It's impossible to tell how much faith or conviction a politician actually has because 9 times out of 10 they're only using it to pander to whatever religious faction they think will earn them the most votes.

sad to say, but it appears the Bush crowd of Christians may have learned that lesson the hard way...or it could just be my limited perspective of what being a Christian means smile

I have had a few times in the past several years where the big AHA answers about any good the happenings of the world have had on souls has become clear...I wish I could remember those AHAs more often.smile there truly is a sifting and shifting taking place on the planet...I pray that it will turn out for the best smile

7. William F. Torpey profile image70
    William F. Torpeyposted 15 years ago

SparklingJewel, the quote you use from Michael Reagan is so ludicrous it doesn't inspire conversation. I wouldn't even dignify it with a serious response.

From the perspective I try to maintain, it is helpful to "hear" what a particular group is "saying" to get an idea of how groups could better communicate. What you read in a quote comes from your unique and specific background of experiences...what someone else reads in the same quote can be something totally different.

If more people tried to find out more instead of just being judgmental about what they heard someone say, it could help to make the world a different place.

For instance. What stood our for me in this quote, was recognizing how differently people can perceive God and all that has to do with God. I have heard just as divisive of quotes from democrats/liberals as I have heard from republican/conservatives.

So what I try to do, is to find a place of balance; to understand why a particular thing was said and why a particular response was given; then to find any common ground or places where compromise could be found.

For instance, on a hot button issue like abortion ( which I have my own deeply held beliefs about) I try to find what both sides could agree on...and that has been focusing on doing what needs to be done to guide  youth away from getting involved in sexual intercourse (and other risky sexual behavior) in the first place. Which is a broad range of possibility...and I don't mean just telling them no, it's giving them other options for individual growth and opportunity for life, like learning new skills to improve themselves. so at least they will have other things to consider about themselves and might think twice about getting involved in risky sexual behavior.

I have found that disagreement is futile and usually leads nowhere unless it can be "channeled" into productive streams of growth and change.

Couldn't you agree with that?

so, looking at it this way, does that inspire any conversation in response to this quote?

2. TheCapn profile image59
      TheCapnposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'd say that quotes like this definitely inspire conversation. Personally, I see quotes like this as dangerous preludes to a potential assaults on our freedom and personal liberty, mostly because politicians normally use god to tell you that you can't do something. I think it's the responsibility of every free minded individual in this country, even in the world over, to give their two cents when it goes towards combating something as dangerous as the abuse of the power of religion.

These kinds of quotes have been spoken from all sides of the isle for decades. It doesn't/hasn't become dangerous because there are enough people getting involved and speaking up...which is great! These kinds of quotes come out of both sides consistently from what I read of all sides.  Sometimes it is hard to not get stuck in being on a side. But we don't move much as a nation  if there aren't enough people trying to maintain a center.

I also see that there is just as much abuse of religion and beliefs thereof as there is abuse of power by religion.

After all that's what this country was founded on...freedom from tyranny by those in power, be it government, religion, etc...

8. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

See another quote by Michael Reagan, adopted son of the ex
    president Reagan:
    “Excuse me folks, I’m going to say this.  We ought to find the people who are doing this, take them out and shoot them. Really. You take them out - they are traitors to this country - and shoot them. You have a problem with that? Deal with it. You shoot them. You call them traitors - that’s what they are - and you shoot them dead. I’ll pay for the bullets. How about you take Mark Dice out and put him in the middle of a firing range. Tie him to a post, don’t blindfold him, let it rip and have some fun with Mark Dice.” -Michael Reagan

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)