Guns and Healthcare

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (42 posts)
  1. Right2BeHeard profile image60
    Right2BeHeardposted 14 years ago

Why is it that republicans think that it's our right as Americans to have the right to own a gun but healthcare is a privilege?  Do I have any less of a right to live a healthy life because I work for a company that doesn't offer health insurance. I guess if I had a gun though I could kill off the H1N1 before it makes me sick.

1. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A lot of democrats think so too, mainly because they understand and follow the law of the land, the Constitution, which states in the Second Amendment our right to own a gun. No where does it state that the government must provide healthcare.

1. Right2BeHeard profile image60
        Right2BeHeardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So guns are more important than healthcare????

2. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 14 years ago

Of course, the Consitution is not a vaccum, it is a living thing created and modified by many different human hands. The right to own slaves was also once in the Constitution, so was the barring of the alcohol trade. Also, it doesn't say you have the right ot own a gun, it says you have the right to 'bear arms'. So, constitutionally speaking, you could buy a nuclear warhead and prop it up in your backyard and say, "I'm just exercizing my right to bear arms". That doesn't mean the gov't won't come and take it away from you. And as well they should.

1. profile image0

While the Constitution can be modified by amendment, is not a "living thing". It is a statement of inalienable rights that one is born with and cannot be taken away by any form of government, no matter how tyrannical. The rights one is born with do not change from century to century.

It never stated that anyone had "the right to own slaves", but did state that one had the right to own property. At the time, that definition was construed by some to mean other human beings, but it was never in the Constitution.

And yes, it does state that you have the right to "keep" and bear arms. And yes, you do have the right to own a nuclear warhead under the 2nd Amendment. But no sane person would want to.

1. Jonathan Janco profile image61
        Jonathan Jancoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sane people, yes. But not everyone is sane.

1. profile image0

Then those are the people that law enforcement goes after - but you don't punish everyone with the loss of a basic right because of a few loonies.

1. profile image0
            Scott.Lifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly what we do here in America.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It gets funnier everytime you say it.

3. PeterBoston profile image60
    PeterBostonposted 14 years ago

I will second the comment that the Constitution is not a living thing. The form of government/society created by the Constitution was unique in human history. The source of "American Exceptionalism" which is a term widely misused today.

Once you accept that the Constitution is a living thing that could be fundamentally changed at will by the majority, the Government or the Courts then you will have forfeited your right to personal liberty and will live no better than what your "masters" determine that you should.

It is unfortunate that so many in Washington DC have little regard for either the Constitution or the way of life it was designed to protect.

4. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I've had guns all my life and enjoy target shooting and hunting. I'm not a fan of para-military style weapons but my hunting rifle packs more punch and is deadly farther than most para-military weapons anyway. So most arguements against guns seem silly and regulating law abiding citizens is miles from where the problem is.

Now what guns have to do healthcare is way beyond me but , I'm pretty simple so I may not get it. The healthcare issue is about whats fair, one side believes that all hard working Americans should have reasonable access to good healthcare. The other side want us to provide healthcare for illegals, pay for abortions, pay for people who've never worked a day in their lives and bill it all to the stooges that work. Because it's easier to regulate the honest law abiding citizens.

1. egiv profile image61
      egivposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Clearly everyone who is for the new healthcare bill wants this.

We need to keep those cancer-suffering leaches to society on the streets so they don't drain all of our hard-earned money!

1. Bovine Currency profile image59
        Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The parrots are well fed.

5. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

According to Pelosi, one reason her healthcare bill is so great is because it requires some of us to pick up the slack for those who refuse to.

This Vermont bill just does the same thing in another area.

http://www.resistnet.com/profiles/blogs … ter-nongun

smile

6. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

When you start paying to subsidize my gun buying, I'll be more than happy to pay to subsidize your healthcare.

And to answer your question: your right is only limited by your means to purchase insurance or pay for medical procedures, sort of like how I can't afford to purchase a machine gun, but it's my right...right?smile

7. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

http://zioneocon.blogspot.com/oy%20sharon.jpg

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lollol  Just the reaction I was hoping for.

8. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

lol! (sorry.)

9. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/9/h/2/glenn-beck-padded-room.gif

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL

10. aware profile image65
    awareposted 14 years ago

i might not agree with glen but i still lend him a ear

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hi Ray! I dont agre with him at all, and I dont listen to him,,,,,

11. Hi-Jinks profile image59
    Hi-Jinksposted 14 years ago

You might think that gun ownership is a right, but it is retail. Gun shops and manufactures make all kinds of money on the fears of Americans. If you hate our current President and mostly from the South, you are most likely still fighting the Civil War. But more than likely you are selling the guns to those Who should not own same. Free Enterprise System

Same with HealthCare, Health care insurance companies are making money by "NOT" paying for health care.Free Enterprise System

1. dave272727 profile image58
      dave272727posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your above post is borderline offensive.  Just to point out a couple of facts.
      1. Firearms are one of the largest markets in the United States. 
      2. Of all the markets, firearms are the one of the only market making money when compared to the market trends from this quarter last year.
      3. I dont think anyone hates our president. 
      4. Please clarify your statement about "still fighting the civil war"  As it reads, you are implying that all gun owners from the south are small minded bigots.  If you did just a LITTLE research then you would know what the civil war was REALLY about.

12. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

If you can support those Americans that are physically able to work working, then I can support healthcare reform. Stupid is not a disability.

13. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Hi-jinks, some of us "in the South" own guns because we enjoy eating venison, quail, and dove, and because we feel the need to kill venomous snakes that slither into our yards.

1. Hi-Jinks profile image59
      Hi-Jinksposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What kind of hunter need a AK-47 or other same kind of weapon for venison and quail?

What kind of driver needs a Corvette or a Hummer to drive on the street? They're unsafe and they look different...roll

2. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If they use it for quail they better be damn good otherwise they'll be real hungry.

14. flread45 profile image59
    flread45posted 14 years ago

Many hunters are turning to the ar 15 and ak 7 for hunting purposes.
    It seems you don't like freedom Hi-Jinks!!!

Read my Freedom and Parenting hub to see this hubber's opinions...comments also.

15. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I don't use an AK-47. 12-ga Remington Wingmaster for dove and quail, .308 for deer. I understood you to be grouping ALL firearms together.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who?

2. Jeffrey Neal profile image68

They're ALL evil, habee.  Yours just don't look as scary. smile

16. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Hi, Sneak. That was addressed to Hi-jinks.

17. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

True, Jeffrey. We should all forsake these evil instruments!

18. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

But then we'd have to change the Second Amendment!

It depends on what "the right of the people" means. roll

Are the people referred to collectively or individually?  It seems SCOTUS decided this, but some can't accept it.  Even the ACLU decided to disagree with this component of our civil rights.  Incorporation might be pending and should strengthen SCOTUS' decision.

19. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I think it would be pretty hard to wrestle the guns out of the hands of owners in this neck of the woods!

They would certainly have an "interesting" situation. lol

20. bukan profile image60
    bukanposted 14 years ago

Sorry friend, i have no comments because i am an Indian

21. Hi-Jinks profile image59
    Hi-Jinksposted 14 years ago

I love Southern cooking, but if you used an assault weapon to bring down game, your food must be ‘bony.’

A gentleman has problems with my understanding of the Civil War. The South has always had a different twist to that event. It starts in the way you were taught at home and at school. Was it the War of Northern Aggression or the War Between the States? I visited the South. I had relatives who lived all their lives down in Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, and southern Illinois. The stories they tell. Most of it is about the so-call Southern Christian gentlemen treat their women like second class citizens. Yes, they hate the President. Just read some of the Hubs.

Another gentleman argues that government is out to tell us how to teach our children hunting with a gun. He thinks ten year olds are mature enough to handle a gun. He didn’t understand that the state of Wisconsin just lowered the age limit. Maybe he thinks teaching six or eight years old is his God given right. I suggested common sense.

Of-course no one say much about Health Care.  My guess is right Wisconsin as well as part of the South some people regard weapons like the cross. If you get sick, it is God’s will if you die.

I suggest common sense.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)