The Perils of Forgetting God

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (61 posts)
  1. profile image52
    Angelacaposted 14 years ago

In our busywork to map out, to make provisions for this earthly life, we have forgotten the ONE who is LIFE; namely, ALL MIGHTY GOD, the FATHER OF ALL CREATION.  In many instances, we have or believe within ourselves that we have control of our own destiny--without His input--and have brought to ourselves needless pain, grief and sorrows.  We have mapped out our own human design for living.

Questions:  How can the created survive without the CREATOR?  How can the clay be molded without the POTTER?  How can we have real peace without the true PEACEMAKER, the PRINCE OF PEACE?

In our quest to make our own way, our own laws, we have forgotten the greatest LAWGIVER who ever was, is or ever will be--our HEAVENLY FATHER.  We have rejected and forgotten HIS COMMANDMENTS(Exodus 20:1-25)and made our own; thus, putting ourselves in bondage to man-made laws that are contrary to HIS spiritual, natural, physical and universal laws.  We deny Him access to and in our hearts.  We make our own decisions, yet we strive to be successful.  We deny Him "His Right" to have a say-so" in the plans we make for ourselves and then cry when they fail.

If we feel like doing it, saying it, being it, we ask Him nothing about His "will be done," here to wit, we rush onward under our own human steam(power), heaping to ourselves failure, disaster and disappointment as we struggle to prosper to have it all at any cost.  But note, how can we have it all if we give no reverence, no honor, no recognition, no respect, no praise, no glory to the ONE who owns it all?  For it is written, "The Earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof, the world and they that dwell therein; for He(not we) hath founded and established it."  It and we belong to HIM!

The GREAT DIVINE DESIGNER of the Universe and of Life has a purpose for each and every on of us and we can not, neither ever will be who we should--HIS BEST--if we continue to push Him out of our lives.  For it is written, "But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousness(our efforts of goodness apart from Him) are as "filthy rags."  Our best is not good enough; it's only fit for burning in the garbage heap of this finite world; unsuitable for eternal salvation; it will not last when it is tried as gold and silver is in the Hand of the Great Refiner--ALL MIGHTY GOD, Himself.

In our efforts to "make a living" we have forgotten or never learned how to "live."  In our efforts to love, we have forgotten the ONE who is the One True Source of true love--the Greatest Lover of All--God who is Love in its truest, purest form.  Our busywork should be to be about "God's Business;" for did not JESUS do the work or business of the ONE who sent Him--our Heavenly Father?

As we look at the world today in its sin-ridden state, we see all the "perils" of forgetting God: very little love; very little joy; very little peace; and very little happiness.  Many are sin-sick and refuse to acknowledge it because man has characterized his behavior of deviating from God's standards with his own terminolgy with fancy names like: psychosis, phobias, deficit disorders, and the like, when in fact, these things are here in most instances because of SIN:  the blatant, deliberate transgression and disobedience of God's eternal laws and statutes.

The whole duty of man(of all of us as God's creation) is to fear Him, give Him reverence and keep His commandments(Ecclesiastes 12:13-14); and as we return to doing that duty under the anointing of the burden-lifting, yoke-destroying power of the HOLY SPIRIT, all these perils would vanish.

A return to GOD will vanquish the power of evil and the perils that arise to plague or destroy us so then we will be PEOPLE OF LOVE: a world nation of peculiar people; a royal priesthood, a holy nation; a chosen generation where peace and goodwil toward all men is the dominant ruling power in the heart of every man and peril and sword will be of none effect because LOVE reigns supreme in all.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

this is very long, hmmm

2. profile image55
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Considering that religions have controlled the planet for centuries with few if any decisions made that weren't under the guise of scriptural guidance, you can thank the religions for "our own human design for living".

It would appear that gods plans for a perfect world have failed.

1. profile image52
        Angelacaposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  2. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

hit start new hub and put this in a hub way to long for the forums

3. Flightkeeper profile image65
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Angelaca, make a hub!

4. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

The Creator is not a respecter of persons!
    Has given to all equally.
    All ARE saved.
    All are set free.
    all have a choice to believe or not.

The power is not in believing in 'Him' but in doing what 'He' does.
    If we must quote books, here is the quote: 'for as he is so are we in this world.'*

*note the Hebrew/Greek translations with regard to "he is", they are the mirror reflection of 'I am'.

smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmm.

U joined to spread this? yikes

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ahah.

So - like a fungus? Waiting for the bloom.

Sounds great.

1. profile image0

Mark, I appreciate you and your perspective.
            Perhaps you will be so generous as to explain what you mean.
            wink

You think you are planting a seed that you will harvest?

I think you are just another religionist with a ready made answer that is more like a fungus which will bloom and destroy.

Odd I had to explain when you think your answer was so clear.

Why is that?

1. profile image0

Why? Simply because you asked a question.
                Rightly so, since questions are pests, crows, weeds and -as you put it- fungi. Yet, every field has their share of pests and such.

In answer to your other question: no, not my harvest, their harvest. Religion is the sin of men. PS, religionist is not a word. jeje.

Religionist is a word here.

As you will discover. wink

1. sooner than later profile image60
                    sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

same ol same ol huh marky mark?

2. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

5. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Write that down in a hub !
    which I won't read !

6. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

What is the sound of one leg kneeling?

*crick*

2. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

if it's my knees then crack lol

1. Cagsil profile image70

I'll agree, but only on the way up tho. lol

1. profile image0
          Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol Mine does it either kneeling or going up....my bones crack A LOT!

3. Flightkeeper profile image65
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sarah Palin?

lol lol Where did that come from?

7. Flightkeeper profile image65
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I thought he forgot his answer.

Oh, okay. big_smile

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No personal attacks please.

1. Flightkeeper profile image65

Oh, you see it as an attack? I apologize.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Accepted

8. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

This is posted in religion, christianity, worship& devotions...

It is posted by a christian to other christians about christian living. Where else should it be posted to not cause the nonbelievers a problem?

Can the nonbelievers just let them be rather than seek them out to argue and denigrate?

If these christians went to the athiest forum to preach I bet there would be a ton of backlash...so don't go where you won't read what bothers you so much.

It is that simple isn't it?

1. sooner than later profile image60
      sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is that simple. I have yet to find a christian forum- where atheists don't troll.

Great point.

2. profile image55

I have been banned from Christian forums for questioning their doctrines, yet you will find multitudes of Christians hanging around science forums arguing and denigrating science. They rarely if ever get banned.

Who are the intolerant ones?

3. tantrum profile image59
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No. It's not
      The title reads :
      The perils of forgetting God

So I think   I'm entitled to comment ,if I want, as I always forget God , as some fairy tale,I'm not interested in.

What's your problem ??
      you've been posting everywhere comments against atheists.
      Are you afraid ?? lol

9. h.a.borcich profile image60

I think if a thread is about exploring faith -then explore. But if the thread ( LIKE THIS ONE IS TITLED) has athiests bust in and mock and ridicule it is wrong. Do you really believe you have that right Q? If they bust in on a thread about atheism preaching - same deal - READ the title and respect it.

Maybe it is harder to leave it alone - but just read the title.

1. profile image0

haha, so right.
      but like i told Mark, there are crows in every field.
      find me one field of ripe corn that doesn't have crows flying around and -well- crowing!

2. profile image55

I wholeheartedly agree with you. No one has the right to bust into a discussion mocking and ridiculing any more than someone else busting in and preaching the gospel.

The problem is that both scenarios occur all the time.

Often, a forum that is moderated well will usually have dealt up the posts by deleting off topic material and handing out warnings. Repeated abuse usually results in short bans, longer bans and then permabans. It's great for keeping discussions on topic but is a lot of work for unpaid moderators.

If it isn't a luxury for a forum to have mods, we simply must bear with the issue and skip over those posts whose authors exhibit that particular behavior.

One can also stoop to the level of gibberish being spouted from the offenders and join the rabble, if one so chooses. I would like to have faith in the idea that some of us wouldn't need to make such choices.

Are you Q from Star Trek the Next Generation, or Q the source material plagiarized by Matthew, Mark, and Luke?

1. profile image55

The Q in physics, indicating the "quality factor" of a system.

Damn!

I was really hoping for Star Trek.

1. profile image55

I have no problem if you wish to pretend I'm the Q in Star Trek. Of course, would you really want me acting in the same way?

No, but if you have those same powers I was going to re-think my agnostic position.

1. profile image55

LMAO!!

*poof*

10. h.a.borcich profile image60

Could the crows evolve and try peace? Just read the titles before declaring wars.

1. profile image0

fortunately, no, they can't. Crows will always be crows, squirrels, squirrels. the beauty is that both -as with all things have a purpose, hence why they exist.

however, if you feed a crow good corn, they stop crowing and perch on a tree fast asleep; feed them old corn and they keep crowing.
      pull out a shotgun and try shooting them and they'll just crow louder, fly around and come back to the same field.

it is all they know, who they are.

11. h.a.borcich profile image60

Q,

Thank you for sharing the info. I do not really know much about moderated forums etc. All I know is what I have seen here and it is just ...."icky" !!!

I am all for all respecting forum titles and hubbers. Any ideas to spread that I am up for.

12. profile image52

Q: Christianity is not a religion, it is a way of life based on the Holy Scriptures and the Life of Jesus Christ, the only Begotten Son of the Sovereign Creator of the whole Universe and everyone that dwells within it. Man's humanness has more to do with the conditions of this world rather than God. Man has freedom to choose and when he doesn't choose God, there are consequences to deal with.

1. profile image55

Christianity does in fact appear to be defined as a religion, but I'm sure it means a way of life to a lot of people.

I, along with billions of other people in the world would tend to disagree with you for a great many reasons, far too many to list here. Nice title, though. Must be tough to get it all on a business card.

Sorry, but that sounds more like a threat then it does a choice, kind of like having a gun to the head, so to speak.

1. tantrum profile image59
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

13. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

And you trust a self contradicting pile of hate and control written by sick men as your proof right?

14. profile image52

Not meant to be a threat at least not from me. God's word is God's word. God is a God of Love but He also expects certain behavior from His creation.  Just as we discipline our own children when they go contrary to what we ask them, our Father in Heaven has disciplinary actions for us as humans when we disobey and disregard doing what is Right and there is a right and a wrong way to do things, especially if we want to be truly successful in life and really desire to please HIM. I know many people have no faith when it come to GOD but nonetheless for me that doesn't make Him any less real. Every human is living proof that God exists, as we all have been created in His likeness and image. All we need do is strive to be like Him--loving in every way.

1. profile image55

I've been careful to ask for confirmation of that claim from theists in order to save the person making the claim some embarrassment.

Often, the bible is "cherry picked" by believers in that they prefer to believe in this but not that, even though all of it is supposed to be gods word. Of course, once you begin introducing the really nasty bits where fathers are supposed to kill their sons for talking back and those sorts of things, theists will immediately back down as they admit to not following those particular sets of "gods words."

So, please be careful when you go down that road, it gets very bumpy very quickly.

So, do you roast your children for an eternity, too?

And, by  disobeying  or not pleasing him, we roast for an eternity?

Are you yet beginning to see that these are threats and not requests?

Actually, every human is living proof of evolution.

15. getitrite profile image72
    getitriteposted 14 years ago

There are no perils of forgetting God!

16. h.a.borcich profile image60

Hi Q & Ron,

I did spend time looking at threads last night and I must admit you are right. Athiest threads have been pounced by christians too.

All I can say is that I have not once on the forums told anyone they should not believe whatever their beliefs are, and I won't. I have only asked why all the attacking when it seems a thread is where it should be. I won't post a thread about praying in the athiest area to bait nonbelievers, but I should be able to post it under christian living to communicate with others who pray.

That shouldn't be too much to ask for is it?

And could you tell me what is the nonoffensive term for those who don't believe? Those who have been quick to judge my language have not offered up a term I should use.

1. profile image55

That is an excellent question. I've never really felt comfortable with the term, "atheist" as it appears as the opposing view to a default position; the theist. It also gives credibility and validity to theist claims where none exists.

And, that's really what it boils down to, doesn't it? It's not so much whether or not someone believes in a god or not, considering there are so many gods purported to exist, it's more along the lines of what are theists actually claiming. One theist will certainly make claims different from another, whether it be their doctrines, their beliefs or even their god.

So, if someone asks you if you believe in god, the first question to ask is, "Which god are you talking about?"

Once the god in question has been established, then we can move onto the various claims of the particular theist. Considering, for example, there are many sects of Christianity, various Christians will have opposing views, hence we must distinguish those views from the others before we can comment on them.

So, you can see how easily it is to be misled or confused with that simple question, "Do you believe in god?"

1. h.a.borcich profile image60
        h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  17. h.a.borcich profile image60

Q,

I read your post a few times but didn't catch what term is appropriate. Did I miss it?

1. Flightkeeper profile image65

No h.a. Q is just long-winded and didn't give you an answer.

2. profile image55

I didn't really offer a term as I don't see one that rightfully applies in these situations. I'm certainly open to suggestions. Perhaps, this would make a good thread?

1. h.a.borcich profile image60
        h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I am open to finding a term acceptable, but I have no doubt all that would happen is name calling if I started such a thread. Can you just image such a thread? Maybe you are braver than I.

Just know there is no malice should I use a less acceptable term until then. I simply just don't know what is prefered.

Thank you for responding smile

1. profile image55

My pleasure. Thanks for bringing up the issue, well spotted on your part.

18. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

isn't interesting that science claims to know and religion too.
    science says it knows the smallest measurable unit of energy -a quantum. Religion says it knows the greatest power of energy, 'god', yet neither can actually argue their point without the other.

As a card carrying member of a Bachelor of Sciences in Applied Philosophy with a minor in Quantum Physics, i can say with all confidence that Bob Pirsig was right: the sword of question-ability divides the house and duality can never see reason nor achieve purity.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)