Obama's plan to outsource.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

If you haven't yet heard, Obama is planning on outsoursing with India. 

This is a red flag to me, not because I don't like India or anything like that, but come on...isn't that furthering the decline of the dollar, isn't that costing Americans jobs, isn't this a bad thing?

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Don't think it will in any way affect dollar
    Sure it will cost Americans jobs

Don't think either of this is good or bad wink

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I would think that our money over thier increases thier spending power for comadaties that we pay extra for to ship over seas...

3. quotations profile image86
    quotationsposted 15 years ago

What is he outsourcing?

4. gamergirl profile image85
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

It is bad, Misha.

There are already thousands and thousands of jobs that should be filled by American workers being outsourced to other countries.  I'm sorry, but there are times when I want to slam the phone down while talking to customer service folks, not because they're in other countries, but because the English they were taught is so terrible that they can only parrot words they read on the screen at me in lieu of any actual service.

Looking at the economic side of this type of thing, when a company closes it's doors in America, let's say it's a CNC machining plant, and it moves to Indonesia, hiring a new staff of 200 people there, that is 200 skilled laborers (meaning that these 200 people actually have a serviceable trade to apply at another company, or could even start on their own with) who are now unemployed.  200 people who went from earning $12 or more, to zero.  Every time this happens the local economy takes a hit.  The more times I kick you in the leg, the far more likely you are to wobble, or fall over.

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

We never know what is bad and what is good on the great scale of things smile

Oh yeah, I can relate! smile

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger smile

5. gamergirl profile image85

And actually, here you are:

Here are a couple of links showing Obama is against outsourcing:

http://whereistand.com/BarackObama/4717
    http://www.sepiamutiny.com/sepia/archives/005043.html

Here Obama addresses the reality of advances in technology and readily available trained workers in other countries, outsourcing which has been happening for years to China and India being unavoidable:

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news … ma/321506/

6. crashcromwell profile image68
    crashcromwellposted 15 years ago

Plato used to say that if you accept the initial premise you must accept every other premise that grows out of it. It seems to me that people here have accepted the premise that Obama is planning to outsource jobs to India. I've seen no evidence of that, so I choose not to accept that premise, and I would like to know the source of that information.

I've read a lot of stuff about Obama that people are presenting as fact that have been disproved. A good example of that is the Internet rumor that Obama is Muslim (which, on the surface, should not make one bit of difference, but even if some people may be inclined not to vote for him for that reason, for the record, he is not!)

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Does it really matter? Just a chance to have a pleasant conversation with nice people smile

2. profile image0

It was on CNN just a couple of hours ago. One of the things they were saying was how Obama has been againts it, but now all of the sudden, they are saying he is going to outsource. 

I can't say for sure it will happen, but...

7. gamergirl profile image85

Sandra,

Basically, everything I've read on results from Google News and Yahoo News shows Obama stating that outsourcing to India and China aren't reversible.  That companies in the US can't be stopped from working with other countries.

What he proposes doing instead is making jobs available to do things like improving and repairing middle class and lower class areas through a variety of different job types.

He also wants Americans to train and learn more, the lack of skilled laborers growing to be a real problem.  Other countries have faced a similar issue in the past, such as Sweden, who shipped hundreds of thousands of poor, untrained, unskilled people to America during the Mayflower days.

1. profile image0

Thanks,  Does he propose any ideas about how he plans to make this happen?  I mean, are the jobs that he wants to make available going to be enough for the people to earn a decent living?  How is going to fund skill training?  I hope not more taxes. 
      Or is he proposing to send Americans over seas to do work over there?  I don't know too much about NAFT, but do you think that he will try to nullify FT in order to preserve America? 

I am perplexed.

8. gamergirl profile image85

I'm not completely sure what he plans to do to create jobs which will sustain people, you kind of don't let all your cookies out onto the plate before it's dinnertime, if you know what I mean.

What I can tell you is that free trade is something that both candidates McCain and Obama have been discussing, and it seems to me that Obama leans more toward the camp of thought that thinks more trade needs to be coming into America (I.E. foreign countries buying more from us) since we buy so much from other countries, since we invest so much time and money in getting goods here, and continue to do so on a grander scale as time goes by.

1. profile image0

I was just addressing that, I don't really support Obama, but seems I can agree with more trade coming to America.  I guess I will stay tuned. 

Anyone hear about a new earthquake in Eastern Japan?  OMGoodness,  what next?

9. gamergirl profile image85
  10. TheCapn profile image60
    TheCapnposted 15 years ago

I think it's all a sign that we as a people need to adapt. The American job market is shifting towards more service based employment, hard labor can be done cheaper elsewhere, there's nothing wrong with that. I do not support the whole isolationist view of preserving jobs for Americans that can be done cheaper elsewhere, it makes no economic sense to follow that type of policy. If we as a country can be more fluid and adapt to the changing job market, there should be no problem with outsourcing certain jobs to other countries.

1. crashcromwell profile image68
      crashcromwellposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I would agree with you Capn in the sense that we're not doing ourselves any favors by trying to isolate us from the rest of the world. On the other hand, I don't think we do ourselves any favors by extending most favored nation status to places like China that won't allow us to import goods there. We're creating an uneven playing field when we do that.

1. profile image0

I grew up with talk about how come thier are so many homeless people in America...Like cap. and you,  it's not that labor for cheaper is bad, but what happens after is more important.  ,I agree with you though,  we aren't doing ourselves any favors by favoring countries that do not allow us tp imprort goods there.  Though I think they do, it's more of an un-balanced scale.

So we end up in more debt because we buy so much from China but they aren't buy from us.  Maybe they should work on a Fair Trade Policy instead of a Free trade policy. lol.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)