How do you keep track of your ideas for future hubs or other blogs?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Lyria profile image60
    Lyriaposted 14 years ago

Sometimes, especially when I don't have access to pen and paper, like when I'm driving, I'll get an idea for a hub that leads to another idea, then another. Then when I get to a place where I can make a note, I'll write the ideas down. So now I have ideas scattered all over the place, in notebooks, on scraps of paper, electronically, in folders, etc. I want to put them all in one place. What do you do? Are your ideas organized in a spreadsheet? Do you have other notes associated with your ideas? Do you actually go back to your "idea file" and use them? I'm very interested in hearing your comments.

1. Google Gal profile image60
      Google Galposted 14 years agoin reply to this

starme77 has a good hub on this very thing go over to her hubs and check out her writing one ,

2. anglfire693 profile image63
      anglfire693posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do the same thing with the ideas! 

Regarding having the ideas when you aren't some where that you can just sit and let them flow, I do a few different things actually.  First, I try to keep a sticky pad and pen in my car and in my purse.  If I'm driving, at the first stop, I'll scratch a note about the idea, and then write the complete thought when I can stop on the sticky and I post it to my dash board or steering wheel to remember to take it inside with me when I get home.  I do the same thing with the sticky pad in my purse.  I write down the idea and then when I get in to the car, post it to my dash so I don't forget it when I get home. 

Sometimes the pen doesn't write, or the sticky pad slides under the seat or I used the last one and didn't replace it.  In this case, I will send my self a text message, or if I am driving and can't text, I'll leave my self a voice mail.

I stick to the regular spiral bound notebooks.  Good old fashion pen to paper.  For me, it really helps getting my creative juices flowing a lot more than typing my ideas. I prefer spiral bound because the way they will fold nicely and you can sit anywhere and write in them, I've tried book bound journals and they were very uncomfortable for me to write in and I don't do loose pages because they just get lost.

Sometimes the idea is very simplistic, so I will give it it's very own page and come back to it when I have more time.  Sorry this is so long, but it was odd that you had your post because I had just been discussing this very topic with several others and that is what prompted me to write my hubs!

Here are the links if you want to check them out, it's my "technique" for coming up with ideas.  They are a little rough, I meant to "save unpublished" instead published them. 

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Easily-C … les-Part-I

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Easily-C … es-Part-II

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have three small notebook scattered in the kitchen, one in the room and one in the tv room, so when I think about a topic and a thought I scribble it down, the notebooks are color coded according to topics and date, then when I start to write, I get them. I have also computer time to do research on topics I want to write on, then I start to write sometimes I am sidelined by the forums, but most often I just write. I also set time to read other hubs and comment.

I do these things while juggling my time as I work outside the house, household chores and friends time,

4. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure what you can do about having ideas, at the time, while driving, except to say, do you have a cell phone? If you have a cell phone, then call your home phone and leave yourself a message of the thought or idea, so you can retrieve it later.

Your filing system needs work. If an idea is linked to another idea, store them in order, for which, they came to you. Therefore, you maintain links between them and your perspective is maintained for that individual idea.

When I get an idea for a Hub, I am a little different than most- I keep my ideas in my head and don't write them down, unless the idea is too complex to maintain remembering all of it. I've got one project/idea, for which, was extremely complex and it is written down, but all other ideas come from it. To understand- everything I write is tied to my purpose in life, for gaining knowledge and understanding of people. Everything I do is about an aspect of life, so all of my Hubs are connected to one theme, but diverse in nature.

Again, you can use a spreadsheet format to expand and link items together, so you can follow a thought process and conclusion.

This would be a good idea to use a file folder for which you want to follow up on or come back to later. Plus you can use the idea that Marisa Wright made about typing in the basics of the Hub, but come back to it later for more in-depth thought.

I hope I helped and wasn't too confusing. lol big_smile

5. Lyria profile image60
      Lyriaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I really like your suggestions. Especially using the phone to send myself a voicemail. I've actually done that before to remind myself to do something, but I never thought about using voicemail to record a writing idea. It's nice to know techniques other writers use for capturing new ideas. Thanks for your responses!

2. G Miah profile image78
    G Miahposted 14 years ago

What i tend to do is write my ideas on my mobile phone which is a Nokia E71, and it's like a Blackberry but better, i am writing this reply on the phone aswell! I always keep it with me, that's the reason why i have the convenience to write my ideas and drafts in the word document software. I can never leave my phone anywhere, it has to be with me at all times, to track my hubs and other things. I hope this helps you.

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I use my phone often too smile

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

I just hop on the computer and start the new Hubs.  I might write the first paragraph, or just the summary, or put a few bullet points in the first text capsule. 

Then I just leave it unpublished until I get around to writing the full Hub.

This sometimes mean I end up with a URL that's not entirely relevant to the eventual content of the Hub, but that's not really vital, so long as I choose a good title.

4. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

depending on where I am, I use what is closest to me, notebook on my desk, notepad in my bedroom, notepad in my car, sticky notes on my desk.

5. G Miah profile image78
    G Miahposted 14 years ago

I think using a mobile phone, when you're out and about, is the best tool to use for noting down ideas. Some third generation phones now have very good technology to do whatever you want. I sometimes even try to write my hubs with my phone, but it doesn't work as well as it does with a computer/laptop, as you can imagine!

6. Himitsu Shugisha profile image71
    Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years ago

I keep a journal with me at all times, and anytime an idea pops into my head I immediately write it down.

7. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Take all your little pieces of paper and put them in a word document.  smile  Or a notebook that you can keep in your purse that is always with you smile

8. Jeffrey Neal profile image70
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

I use the sophisticated "notes everywhere" method.  Typically, I have most of it in one notebook, but other stuff gets scattered.
    If I am without pen and paper, normally I have my Blackberry, so I jot in there as well.

I keep saying I am going to get around to doing what Jane says and add them into a word file, but that hasn't happened yet. hmm

9. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

if i'm out, i will just talk into my little Panasonic tape recorder. i do this for other writing and activities besides hubs.

if i am at my computer, i type a summary in notepad and then just retrieve it later.

10. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I don't get that many ideas:(

When I get ideas, at most its one or two until they are written and published, then its back to the drawingboard.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)