Family Holidays--Putting The Fun Back In Dysfunctional

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)
  1. moorrless profile image92
    moorrlessposted 14 years ago

The approach of Christmas highlights the arrival of the holiday season and represents an event that inspires dread and fear in the hearts of many--family gatherings.

Over the years, my own family has hosted many memorable holiday get-togethers. And if you are imagining some warm family camaraderie like you would see on a rerun of "The Waltons," you have watched far too much television.

Every family has one member with strong views on politics, religion, race, etc. This person just has to get on his or her soap box during every family event.  My brother Jeff is the token radical (and I do mean radical) Republican in our family who cannot resist taunting our more liberal family members.  The problem is he gets so angry while trying to get his point across that his opinions become senseless.  My personal favorite is his claim that "the Jews" were responsible for the bombing of the World Trade Center back in the 1980s.  Considering who is now our president, I look forward to this year's revelations.

My brother is just one of my many interesting relatives that make holidays so special.  I recall one Thanksgiving when my uncle made White Russians with strawberry vodka that were just a bit too strong.  He probably had about three of them prior to dinner.  By the time the turkey and trimmings were served, he was so intoxicated that he loaded up his plate with food, set it on the table, crawled into the next room and passed out on the floor.  Dinner concluded with my mother asking someone to check on my uncle to make sure he was still breathing.

My brother Kevin is the family clown, so we always expect something entertaining from him.  One holiday he had one beer too many, declared he was a rapper named "Ice Floe" and started making up a ridiculous rap song.  Unfortunately, he lost is balanced and fell backward into a toy box.  He didn't spill a drop of beer, however.

All these events have been memorable, but the crown jewel of holiday faux pas has to be when one of my siblings--who shall remain nameless--had a little too much to drink (are we detecting a pattern here?) and admitted to doing something that would have caught the attention of federal authorities.  Even though this particular event happened nearly 20 years earlier, my mother was absolutely furious.  I guess there are some things even the passage of time cannot soften for mothers.

As strange as this may sound, these things do not keep us from having a great time together.  They just become part of the folklore that every family gathers and passes down through time.  My children still enjoy hearing stories of my Uncle Jim, who passed away several years ago, even though they barely knew him.  Their favorite is the story of how he got a shark fin and decided to swim underwater with it in a popular watering hole near his home. This is around the time when the movie "Jaws" was terrifying swimmers everywhere.  People were actually screaming and pulling children out of the water as he swam by.  And this was in a creek in the middle of Pennsylvania.

So as you gather together this holiday with your family, make sure you take the time to laugh and enjoy those family members.  Gather stories and make memories to pass down, no matter how strange or bizarre they may seem at the time.

And if your children ever commit a federal offense, make sure they never tell you.

2. rsmallory profile image67
    rsmalloryposted 14 years ago

you should make this into a hub...

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

It strikes me that the fact these "idiosyncracies" don't stop your family from remaining close and having a good time may mean your family isn't dysfunctional at all.   smile  Some of the individuals involved may be a little "wacky"in their own way,  It sounds like your family is fun and pretty darned "functional"   lol

4. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

My aunt threw a fit one Christmas about 4 decades ago, refused to be taken to hospital by the ambulance and made our lives a misery for the rest of the holiday. I've loathed Christmas ever since.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That definitely sounds like a stinko Christmas.   lol  Was it a "seizure=fit?" or just a big temper rage?   smile

1. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It was physical symptoms, but with a psychological basis, not epilepsy.

Anyway, finally getting rewarded this year. Younger daughter asked did we mind spending Christmas at her place rather than her travelling to us. Mind??? *chortle*  No worrying about decorations, tree, food shopping and all the other stuff this year. Just hop in the car on the 23rd and have it all waiting at the other end. Aaaahhhh....

5. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

Those are some good stories. You honestly should make it into a hub!! Then its there for more peopel to read, forum threads eventually get lost in the shuffle.

6. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Christmas is (pretty much) about two things: money and let's pretend.

You all know the money side of it and the pretending isn't just about Santa squeezing his fat 'arris down a chimney.

It extends to some of our relatives. We pretend to get along or like each other.

But it's all good. Especially if I get some slippers this year smile

7. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

Im totally spiking the egg nog...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)