Back to School for me?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (28 posts)
  1. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

So, I've been considering returning to school to get my education degree for quite a while... and I think its time.  I've started filling out an application for an online program to get my post-baccalaureat (sp?) teaching certificate.

I'm terrified, but excited too.  Has anyone done this type of program?  Just curious if anyone had any tips... Working on my essay now, might take me away from my hubs for a while, but I guess this is important... roll

Ok, back to that essay...

1. starme77 profile image77
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Havent done that type of programn , but i am always taking some kind of school course. smile Good for you , the more you learn , the more you know, and knowledge is King smile

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i think Crazdwriter is a teacher. anyway, good luck. i am pulling for you. that is quite a wonderful endeavour!

ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Cosette.  We'll see how it all goes.  Maybe I'll have to drop Crazd a note and see what kind of insight she has!  I've been reading a lot of habee's hubs too.  She has some on how to be a good teacher.  I suppose I'm putting the cart before the horse, but I'm in that mindset right now.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thoughtless, good luck to you, I now that you will be successful, I also studied while having my children and I am short of Ph.D dissertation, but I managed to juggle my time because of patience and sacrifice,

go girl,

I dont have any idea about that program, but then I also taught in an online environement and all you need to do is just to follow modules, communicate often wih your teacher and colaborate with your virtual classmates through emails etc.

Thanks Maita! You go on the PhD... that's quite an accomplishment!

2. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69

Thanks starme.  Its a little intimidating for me.  I tend to throw myself full force into everything I do.  When I was in college, I barely slept, took way too many credits, etc.  Now that I have children, a home and a full time job, its going to be a whole new world for me... an entirely different kind of balance I'm going to have to strike.  Not sure how that will go. smile

3. kmackey32 profile image62
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

Go for it. I would if I could afford too.

I can't, in the slightest afford this. But, I've been letting things get in my way for years.  I think I've decided its finally time to stop.  My husband has been back to school twice now (once for certifications and once for a 2 year degree which he is almost finished.)  We have never had the money.  We never knew how we were going to pay for it, and, somehow, we figured it out.

I may be in debt and best friends with the financial aid department by the time I'm done, but I think it will be worth it.

4. Dink96 profile image60
    Dink96posted 14 years ago

If you think this is something that you truly want to do, don't let anything stand in your way.  Things have a way of working out.  I returned to school this fall (only took one class), but it's been a wonderful experience!  GO FOR IT! I'm betting your biggest cheerleaders will be right in your own home.  Good luck.

Thanks Dink!  Congrats on returning to school.  I think the first class is the hardest - kind of getting back into that mode.

And, you are right, I need to just go for it and stop overthinking things too much.  I've been "thinking" for years.  I have 2 little ones at home, and I'm nervous about balancing, but when my husband wanted to go back, I gave him all of this same advice, and just said "we'll make it work."  I need to take some of my own advice.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

if you have the support at home, and really want to do it, go for it.

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

good for you! good teachers are always needed, especially younger ones. the older ones retire. so it's a constant flow.

do you have a specific age group?
    I have a degree in early childhood education and taught in the classroom for 14 years. now I'm moving in a different direction, but still using my skills and knowledge.

many teachers balance their career with their family and one of the advantages of teaching as a career is the holiday and summer breaks. smile

I've been really debating between Elementary Ed and Secondary English.  I absolutely love reading and writing, and am passionate about books, and anal about grammar. smile  However, I adore working with younger children and seem to have a knack for communicating with them.  I think I'll be going for the Elementary Ed (more potential job openings around here has sort of swayed the decision which was kind of at a stand still between the two) but, once I find a job, I may consider broadening my horizons by taking classes to qualify as a teacher for middle school or high school as well.

Thanks to you for hanging in there in a tough service industry! I may seek you out for advice along the way if that would be alright.

6. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Great idea ThoughtfulSpot! I, too, am going back to school. But, this isn't about me, only that I feel your nervousness. In your case, you've chosen one of the greatest professions; Education is the most important thing in a person's life, it goes way beyond the classroom. A sincere Congratulations to you! smile

Thanks Denno!  The nervousness is unbelievable.  You'd think as a grown, confident adult who has done this all before, I'd feel at least a little more "been there, done that."  But, alas, no such luck.  What area are you studying? (If that's not too personal a question.)

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, thank you for asking(nah, it's not too personal). I'm studying for an Associates in Applied Science in Architectural and Engineering Design(that's a mouthful). big_smile

Wow.  Color me impressed! An Engineer AND a talented writer.  Not often, you find someone capable of navigating both sides of the brain like that. lol!

1. profile image0

Well, when you find the road map, please let me know! lol

No chance of that! I tossed my map out the window years ago! lol

1. profile image0

Paah!, We don' need no stinkin' maps! big_smile

7. uliveulearn profile image69
    uliveulearnposted 14 years ago

Congrats!  It sounds like you have given it plenty of thought and you have great support from your husband.  You may have to do a lot of time management planning together where the kids are involved.  There will be tough days but most will be rewarding.  You are obviously intelligent and articulate.  I know you will do well and have lots to be proud of.  Good luck.

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

feel free to contact me anytime. teaching is not easy, but easily the most rewarding career I can think of. it becomes easier with experience, but I don't know one seasoned teacher who is not nervous that first day of the new school year.

I worked with the young ones, and being able to help lay the foundation is amazing, you learn to really appreciate everything in life and look at life differently when you're sitting there helping a child learn how to hold a pencil or the first time a child opens a book and starts reading.

one of the great rewards of teaching is that you learn so much!!
    good luck. big_smile

Thank you so much.  Now that I've decided to do this, I just wish there was a way to speed up the process and get to the teaching! Helping our interns at my current job, and running the occassional workshop are definitely my favorite parts of my job.

9. uliveulearn profile image69
    uliveulearnposted 14 years ago

I love your attitude rebekahELLE.  I am sure you are an amazing teacher.  Wish you were here to teach my grandkids when they are old enough to go to school.  It is so great that Hubpages brought you to guide and inspire Thoughtfulspot.

10. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69

Thanks for the support UliveUlearn!

11. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years ago

All I can say is make sure you check the accreditation of the school you are going through.

Thank you.  That is very good advice.  I plan on attending (pending acceptance, of course) an accredited "brick and mortar" university that happens to offer an online curriculum for my area.  But, you are right.  It is scary out there with all of the scams and "online learning" promises that can blindside you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)