Thud - is the sound of my Christmas Hubs' traffic tanking

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (52 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

It's definitely that time of year. Ebay Christmas Hubs' traffic have just nosedived. Should be zero pretty soon. I'm watching with great curiousity to see what kinds of things sell after Christmas and into January.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL

Too late for delivery now I would think. I tend to go for plastic crap that needs to be bought to go with other plastic crap - so people tend to buy all the way through to February.

I hope. smile

2. Dale Mazurek profile image62
      Dale Mazurekposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The thing from one marketer to another we both know when it comes to business you have forgot about Christmas a long time ago and you are working on other endeavors months and months ahead of time.

pro active, not reactive

Cheers Nelle

1. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Dale! Yes I stopped thinking about getting ready for Christmas way back when. But I do love watching Christmas sales. And even though I know the end comes on suddenly and hard EVERY YEAR, it still makes me wistful every year.

2. profile image0

I've never tried the plastic crap strategy.

3. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

LOL! The Plastic Crap Strategy!

OK--Which one of you is going to produce the first marketing e-book on that?

(PS--I'll buy both of them. big_smile)

4. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

LOL

Plastic crap, aluminium crap, pewter crap, electronic crap - All the same to me.....

Book in the works.......

1. Friendlyword profile image61
      Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I need to ask. First let me say, I'm not a Writer. I'm just a reagular guy. I only write hubs that mean something to me. I just want to get my opinion out there and start a good debate.  I find that it's a great way to channel rage and anger in a positive way. The hubs and the forums are just great ways for me to express myself.

But, I'm not against making money too! If I were to write as many hubs as you and Nelle; what is the general amount I could make in a month?

Hard to say. I make between $800 and $2000 a month here, but there are constant setbacks in doing this for a living. As I mentioned on another thread - I had my Christmas hubs lined up by the end of August and I completely missed the boat with a few of them which meant hours of work for very little payoff. I sorely misjudged how easy it would be to rank poker pages here.

You win some, you lose some. big_smile

1. Friendlyword profile image61
          Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not bad at all! Thank you for that info.

5. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I have a few of those blue arrows myself sad. Its nice to know that the pro's here are having the same smile. Logic says its normal but its still depressing to see

6. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

I'm just plodding along making hubs. I don't think I had the right strategy or knew enough to understand it all to really get in on the Christmas money this year. Ah, next year though, hehe, I can't wait.

7. lakeerieartists profile image62
    lakeerieartistsposted 14 years ago

I am finding it interesting that I am getting significant hits on some of what I consider summer topics. Sorry, Nelle, I did hear the echoes of your thud here in Cleveland.  I will have to try the plastic crap strategy next year.

smile

1. profile image0

I've already registered nelles-plastic-crap.com

1. frogdropping profile image78
        frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Seriously? Wow! You shift like greased lightening. Impressive Nelle smile

Ladies - do a google search for "plastic crap from China" (no quotations) and you will see me staring right back out at you. big_smile

1. rmcrayne profile image89
            rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that #6, kids toilet safety, seat may be for kids with handicaps, like CP.

2. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL! That's awesome. smile

8. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
    GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years ago

Wow my traffic just nosedived yesterday and today too hayz... but it is stabilizing just right now though... big_smile

9. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

I think 'tanked' is the theme of the day. Or the month smile

Mine have lost about 30% ish. I'm not laying awake at night worrying. As everyone is feeling it - it must be the season of good will and all that.

Ohhhhhh ... and it's snowing here smile

*wanders off to find some wellies*

10. janiek13 profile image75
    janiek13posted 14 years ago

I didn't have that much traffic to begin with, so I can't say it took a nosedive...just a little slip and fall, I think.LOl

11. Dr23 profile image60
    Dr23posted 14 years ago

I only really geared two hubs specifically for Christmas, and they came to a halt sometime last week. Ornaments are on the tree and crafts have been made, so no real need for my hubs anymore.

Thankfully not all of my hubs were so time specific as others have performed nicely recently for me.

12. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years ago

Was getting worried. I don't get too much traffic as it is, but the last couple days have really been bad!

13. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I wasn't raised with a belief system that included Christmas, so my winter seasonal holiday Hubs aren't shopping ones.  They're still holding strong.  I expect them to quit pretty much right on the holiday.

1. lakeerieartists profile image62
      lakeerieartistsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have to admit that my traffic has stayed pretty steady throughout this season, and my adsense is also continuing to grow on a daily average basis.  It just seems that my hubs keep flip-flopping as to which ones are getting the most traffic.

Relache, I love reading your how to hubs like the Yule one because they are just so interesting.  Even if I have a different belief system, I still like to learn.  I think the how to type of hubs for holidays are looked at until the day the holiday is over when people get home and actually make the item that you are teaching them how to make.  smile

14. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

Is 'plastic crap' a high paying keyword?

Sadly no. 0.0000003 cents sad

1. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My Hub writing plans thwarted once more!  'Buying Plastic Crap - Please Her With Plastic' will now not be written!  smile

15. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

*THUD* ooo that is a scary sound. hope things pick up for you all

16. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

My traffic has leveled out to what it was last week.

I didn't put any stock in Christmas, I'm too new for it!

17. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

My traffic is fine, as good as any other day, but that is the benefit of having a large proportion of hubs which are not trying to sell anything. In fact my Adsense is doing great this week, one of my highest ever days Tuesday, an above average day today.

People have finished buying gifts, and have run out of money, but they dont need to pay for my information, hehe

18. NaomiR profile image75
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

My traffic has decreased, but oddly enough, some of my Thanksgiving hubs are still getting views.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've got a few Halloween types that are still going really strong.

19. profile image0

That's great news. I'm hoping that some of my non-Christmas hubs will start to pick up the slack.

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is nought as strange as folk!  hehehe... maybe they are preparing for next thanksgiving!!! LOL

20. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

My Amazon sales are still increasing, although, I am only selling 3-4 Games consoles a day, as opposed to the 10-12 that I have been selling for the majority of the month!

21. relache profile image72

I just checked my stats for today, and after getting bashed for a "stupid" Hub title yesterday, that turns out to be today's top earner!

1. profile image0

don't you just love it, when getting bashed makes money.

22. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

Yeah, most of mine collapsed today but I have a lot of good ideas for hubs to work on after the holidays so the future is bright(ish)

23. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

My adsense has been terrible all month, but today was a good day.

24. Drwibble profile image59
    Drwibbleposted 14 years ago

Well I wish it could be Christmas, every day
    When everyone starts buying and ebay begins to pay
    Oh, I wish it could be Christmas, every day
    Let the hubs ring out for Christmas

1. Rik Ravado profile image85
      Rik Ravadoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is good!  relevant and festive smile

25. MikeNV profile image66
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

eBay is a tricky beast since they switched to their Quality Click Pricing Model.

You have to be very very careful what you promote or you could actually make LESS by adding more.

Unfortunately eBay will not give you any information on how they determine what is quality and what is not quality.

I used to make up to $60-$80 a sale off of Autos on eBay then they killed that with Quality Pricing.

My advice is if you are not making money with eBay pull those Ad Units down... there is no point in sending them free traffic that you could be sending to Adsense or Amazon.

26. profile image0

MikeNV Ebay has given alot of direction about what they expect from your traffic. They want you to send new ebay buyers, who spend a lot of time on the site, who buy a lot quickly, and become ACRUS. But in terms of buying quickly, they understand auctions vs. buy it now items and say that they don't discriminate against auctions. They seem to prefer paypal users as well.

I have very little experience with Ebay, prior to QPC. All I can say is that I've made a great deal of money the last two months. But I did design hubs with the above in mind.

There has been a lot of people it seems who have been burned by Ebay who were in the motors section. I haven't spent any time in it.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it's just time to take a breather.. a holiday of sorts. I think everyone is shopping in 'real' stores this weekend.

27. RedElf profile image90
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

Sorry, Nelle - I'm going for the "plastic Crap" theory!

Look for my new series: Plastic Crap Everyone Needs, followed by Plastic Crap You Can't Live Without, and How To Monetize Your Plastic Crap Hubs - oops - can't forget Best Google Plastic Crap AdWords, and How To Create Evergreen Plastic Crap Content big_smile

big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile Best laugh all day - thinks you guys!

28. profile image0

Well at least nelles-plastic-crap.com is safe for me! Can't wait to see those hubs redelf.

29. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I'm still feeling slightly lucky. I have three hubs that have tanked -- Christmas cards, Christmas dinnerware and Christmas ornaments. Everything else is stable.

30. relache profile image72

Friday Dec 18th definitely showed all the signs of the holiday plunge, but ever since, my Hub traffic has been climbing daily.

It's all stuff that has nothing to do with shopping that's doing it.

31. OregonWino profile image60
    OregonWinoposted 14 years ago

This is what makes the short turn vs. long term hub topic interesting....a bunch of traffic for a short time or a little traffic over longer period. 

I have noticed that my hubs on Top 10 Wines have really started taking off...weird..

1. Dao Hoa profile image60
      Dao Hoaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well! They are for New Year! smile

1. OregonWino profile image60
        OregonWinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, I guess that makes sense!  Gotta have some good wine to ring in the new year!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)