Will there ever be another big Hubchallenge?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (20 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Audreveaposted 14 years ago

The 100 hubs in 30 days - will we be doing that again?

I read great things about it on the 'net, but whispers of negativity within Hubpages and overall I'm left wondering about the whys and wherefores.

Did it lead to an increase in crappy hubs? Those that did it wholeheartedly - did it boost your stats?

I'll do some searching and reading up (not being lazy) but I wanted to ask the direct question as well.

1. RachelGB profile image61
      RachelGBposted 14 years ago

Thanks for posting this question. I am interested in this topic as well.

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 14 years ago

I can't answer your question but I did read a forum post here a couple of days ago that talked about the first ever hub challenge, and how it had caused a lot of division and strife - would love to know the story behind that, if anyone was around back then and cares to tell!

Speaking for myself personally I don't think 30 hubs in 30 days is realistic - more like one or two hubs a week.

1. profile image0
        Audreveaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read that somewhere too! Someone spill the beans!! smile

2. livewithrichard profile image73
        livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL that's why they call it a challenge.  As for the first challenge, there were many outspoken hubbers(many who are no longer with us actively) who believed that churning out hubs just for the sake of churning them out somehow diminished the value of this site and in turn their own presence on it.  It created a sort of rift between those that are here as marketers and those that are here just for the pleasue of writing.

The challenge was successful in many ways for me.  It increased my traffic which also increased revenue earned here. It helped me determine a good layout for the hubs I use for marketing and the hubs I use for other reasons.

Here is a good tip before you start your challenge.  Come up with a plan and stick to it.  If you're marketing, then write a whole series of hubs in one niche and interlink them, make a post about them in your personal blog, socially bookmark both your hub and your blog postings and have fun.

The challenge is a personal challenge and not a competition, though its good to have others in the challenge with you to keep you motivated. Don't forget to post a link to your challenge hub in the appopriate forum category.

1. profile image0

I was wondering what the issue was. Thanks

2. Sufidreamer profile image78
          Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

EDIT: Forgot to say, excellent points, as always, Richard smile

I think that the main problem with the original challenge was that it completely swamped the site - it was impossible to keep up with Hubtivity and inboxes were crammed with notifications. As a result, it became impossible to keep up with new Hubs from your favourite authors and resentment spread - writers like to be read. The forums and commenting on Hubs died because you could not keep up with who posted where sad

Sadly, this unbalancing of the site led to some of the bad blood between the two 'sides' (although the divisions are largely artificial). Some excellent writers left for pastures new as a result of the fallout - as Richard said, that created an us vs them siege mentality.

Things have pretty much returned to normal and everybody realises that we can all learn from each other and enjoy each others work. The new Hubchallenge forum is cool and full of helpful and talented folks - a goldmine to budding commercial writers or non-comm writers who want to monetise their articles.

If they do have a new big challenge, I have no problem as long as they keep it out of my hubtivity and email notifications smile

3. Dale Mazurek profile image61
      Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

You dont have to wait for someone to start a Hub challenge.  If you want to do 30 hubs in 30 days then go for it.

Can you see I am just saying set some goals and try and reach them.  Sure a challenge seems to make things feel like you are being pushed and there fore it seems easier to get the Hubs done.

Im sure something else will be announced but also for thise that are new here you can join the 30 hubs in 30 days challenge at any time you want with no dead lines.

Just write good quality hubs and in all ways you will see your numbers increase.

4. profile image0

I know - but the camraderie seems like a nice thing. A lot of it is about quality but volumes help the odds and I think the togetherness factor would be good for newcomers to get going.

Writers are used to working under pressure, it doesn't have to mean the quality of the hubs decreases.

5. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Just join the 30 Hubs in 30 Days Challenge and say that you're doing 100 instead. There'll be lots of support and fun times. I try to write at least 50 every month - as do others. It's really all about customizing the pace to your own goals.

There are tens of thousands of hubbers, and we'll never all agree on anything. So someone is bound to be unhappy about any topic. But if you want support to write lots of hubs, then go to the 30 Hubs in 30 Days forum.

6. profile image0

Thanks Nelle. I probably won't, only 'cos it seems a bit arbitrary - no real deadline and everyone working to different goals etc. I liked the finite 100 by a certain date.

I think I can get up to 30 pretty soon (I have some hubs unwritten but stashed in my unpublished pile).

It's ok though - I was just asking.

1. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why don't you start a topic stating that you want to do 100 hubs in January and invite others to join you?

1. profile image0

Maybe - that's an idea. If people are wanting to do something, hopefully they can comment here and it will generate some ideas (like maybe 100 really is too high a number?)

7. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

How about 365 hubs in 365 days starting January 1st J/k

I would like to see a smaller challenge like 1 hub a day for 2 weeks/14 hubs.  Or something like that.

However, I am part of HubMob and that poses a challenge for sure and is fun.

Just to note.

8. profile image0

100 is a big number - it wouldn't have to be such a big number. I was thinking more of the shoulder to shoulder aspect with everyone reaching for the same target - whatever that is.

Interesting on the quality points ... you would definitely have to use what you know and write a lot off the cuff to get through that number. Unless of course you had the time during the day to put into it.

9. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

I just signed up for the 30 in 30 starting January 1st - Yikes! big_smile

1. profile image0

Cool! Maybe I'll follow you. Still thinking ..

10. profile image0

That makes a lot of sense.

I like the collegiality and feedback, the connections etc - I can totally understand people being protective of that.

11. KCC Big Country profile image84
      KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

I don't see them doing another organized 100 hub challenge, but who knows?  I like that we encourage the ongoing 30 hubs/30 days challenge.  Nelle and I both started up monthly challenges.  I personally like working on a calendar month because it just makes it easier to keep up with what day you're on.  So, I plan to start another challenge Jan 1.  I just have decided what I'm shooting for.  Nelle's 1000 in 2010 is just too ambitious for me with everything else I have going.

I work at a fulltime job and have an opportunity for an all-expense paid trip for 2 to Las Vegas in Sept if I complete a few more company-sponsored courses.  I really have to work on that as well since I'd really like to go to Vegas.  I've just got to figure out how to successfully juggle both.

I may do some shorter 10 in 10 kind of challenges so that I can have some breaks in between.  I just really haven't decided.  I know I really have to work on my backlinking as well.

12. profile image0

I know what you mean. I need to write some articles to support my hubs and drive traffic but I never know when to switch from one mode to other other. It's all writing I guess, but somehow hubbing is more fun.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)