Now HubChallenge is over......

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Julie-Ann Amos profile image63
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years ago

are we going to see any feedback? 

I recall something about HubPages reporting stats provided we tagged our hubs, which I duly did.

And for those of us who sweated to achieve the magic 30 or even 100 in 30 days, apart from a bit of forum dialogue we've seen nothing... HubPages itself (theirselves?) have been notable in their absence of any feedback - not even confirming the "it's over" time and date when it passed.

I for one think that it's a shame.

I'd like to see a milestone medal for those who achieved.  Plus at least an acknowledgement from HubPages as to who did indeed manage it and who didn't (is an official list too much to ask for?) - not after any pat on the back here, it's not why I did it, but I do think after all the hoo-ha about soemthing there should be some form of wrap up.

The Original thread (http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/14183) started by Ryan hasn't even had a "close of exercise" message from HubPages - what's going on?  Did they get bored of it before we did?

1. TrinaLynne profile image68
      TrinaLynneposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think those who completed the challenge and even those who took a crack at it are courageous. It is definitely commendable.

2. travelerhubs profile image51
    travelerhubsposted 15 years ago

I wonder about the same. Is the hubchallenge officially closed now? How many hubbers pulled it off and other statistics will be interesting to see.

3. thranax profile image71
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

The Hubchallege might result in them complying some statistics for us, but you got to remember the purpose of the Hubchallege in the first place..it was to:
    1.Show Hubbers real potentials
    2.increase hubpages general traffic
    3.show people if they try hard, the money and traffic will come.

the official one is relay just a kick starter to your own goals.

~thranax~

4. travelerhubs profile image51

Where do you come up with these three bulleted points as the "purpose" of Hubchallenge? :-) I am sure people entered the hubchallenge for these important and more important purposes.

In the original blog post,
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/14183
    Ryan mentioned they will do some cool reporting and analysis on the Hubs that we're all writing during our 30 days...

I am just wondering if it is still in their plans to gather and publish these statistics or if they have bigger fish to fry.

Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's the post I searched high and low for thanks. 

I did read they would do some cool reporting, but actually they seem to have done nothing - sorry to be critical but not even saying if it's officially over let alone commenting on results is a bit poor, in my view.

Let's just say I'm not holding my breath about the cool reports, which is exactly what I'd like to see.  Let alone the Milestone if they didn't even confirm the finishing line...

Or maybe they're really busy compiling cool reporting.

5. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

Based on hubs tagged for the Hub Challenge, 213 different users participated, creating a total of 3,565 hubs.  There were 7 users that finished 100 hubs, ysdata, infinityplusone, travelerhubs, Julie-Ann Amos, dwilliamson, Anamika S, and themoneyking, although several others came close (and maybe forget to tag a few of their hubs or published them outside of the 30 day period).

The hub challenge hubs are generating an average of 43 views a week each versus 23 views a week for all hubs created over the same period.

I'm sure Ryan will put together more interesting numbers for you when he gets back from vacation next week.  Between previously scheduled vacation time, shoulder surgery, and wedding planning he hasn't been operating quite at his normal 110% of late.

1. LondonGirl profile image80
      LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the stats!

Let's not have percentage inflation, 100% will do (-:

2. Julie-Ann Amos profile image63

Thanks for this.  I know Hup's away and kind of assumed someone else would pick this up as it was such a big exercise. 

Maybe instead of launching it in such a rush it should have been publicised for a month, ten done when people WOULD be there to monitor and feedback.

When the results do get fully processed, I'd like to see the 30 people as well as the 100 ones, for example...

3. Stormy Brain profile image59
      Stormy Brainposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I thought I got 100 done during the period. I may have not tagged something. Could you check for me please?

Either way, thanks for the challenge. Some statistics for others thinking about doing the same thing (remember, you don't have to wait for a challenge, you can just do it on your own!) my 30 day traffic as of today is up 110% over the previous 30 days. Not bad!

Let's do this again in about 2 months after we've all had a chance to rest a bit.

Stormy Brain

6. travelerhubs profile image51

Hi Paul,
    Wow...that was fast. Thanks for the statistics.

Ryan,
    Hope you are recovering fast. Get well soon! I assume you did not get to finish your 100 hubs against that blogger.

Well... I think we should do this again in a more formal and organized way to motivate hubbers and to increase their participation.

Again?  Please God no...

7. sunstreeks profile image80
    sunstreeksposted 15 years ago

I think there was quite a bit of confusion associate with this challenge. As I understood it, it wasn't a formal contest/competition set up by the hubpages team at all just a fun self challenge that we could all do together at the same time.

Ryan caught wind of Courtney Tuttle planning to do 100 hubs in 30 days after Court mentioned it on his blog and some of his readers decided to join in. Ryan made a plan with Court that he would also try for 100 cause he thought it was a cool idea.

Then, Ryan posted it on the forums and encouraged anyone else to do the same thing. It wasn't for Hubpages. It wasn't a company idea. It was Ryan acting on his own wanting to see if he could do it and encouraging hubbers to see if they could too.

That's all. No prizes. No banners. No confetti.  I didn't finish the challenge, but I did put up 64 hubs and Looking at my average earnings so far this month, I am SOOO glad I participated.

Thanks Ryan for the encouragement to go a little further. Thanks to all the participating hubbers and the ones who wished it would just end =P for making it fun.

1. mythbuster profile image74
      mythbusterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad I understood this at the beginning! I participated in the 30hubs in 30days to challenge myself. I now know that an extra day of planning will be necessary in the future for me to put out 30 hubs in 30 days. I succeeded in getting 16 hubs out during the 30 day time period, but found out a whole lot about writing on demand that I never would have learned if I had never participated in this pseudo-contest!

I'll try again - with a full day to plan before starting to write. What I found once I hit the 7-day mark is that my researching for topic information was chaotic because I jumped 'themes' a few times in the creation of hubs...this slowed me down considerably. With better planning, I'm sure I can accomplish 30 hubs in 30 days quite easily. I didn't know how to set time limits for research per hub until I actually attempted this contest, but now I have some experience about 'on demand' research and writing.

I hope other people learned a lot from the experience as well - even if, like me, they didn't accomplish 30 or 100 hubs in 30 days. I thought I'd share what I learned - the importance of starting out with a very definite plan and schedule for writing, time limits for research - and that people attempt something like this again.

I'm still 'on top' and ahead of myself with hub content because I have at least 11 hubs in unpublished state that I thought were not worthy to publish yet during the contest time.

8. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

sunstreeks is right - this wasn't orginally HP's idea at all. The statistics that are worth looking at for some people who did complete the challenge are here http://thekeywordacademy.com/make-money … -4-update/ and here http://www.makemoneyonlinewithseo.com/ from someone who made 200 hubs in 30 days (and yes he has a full-time job). 

The relevant point is the income really - the original point of the exercise was to make money after all...

9. Silver Rose profile image66
    Silver Roseposted 15 years ago

It's likely that more than 7 people completed the challenge. Remember that some people will have more than one hub account and will have split the hubs among them.

On the money side I think Mr Tuttle won the contest - haven't come across anyone who made more than his $400+. Which sort of proves he knows what he is doing!

10. Ryan Hupfer profile image59
    Ryan Hupferposted 15 years ago

Hey everyone, I wanted to chime in here a bit. Like many of you have already said, I didn't come up with this idea, I just thought that it was a cool way for some of you to set a goal, earn some additional cash, push yourself a bit and have some fun in the process. None of this was planned and the first week of it really caught me by surprise when I saw that so many people were participating. It was really, really awesome.

Although I didn't say that there would be prizes, confetti and what-not I was planning on getting some stats together to post up in a blog wrap-up, although it seems that Paul Deeds already took care of most of the big ones. The fact that nearly 4,000 HubChallenge Hubs were published is pretty incredible and I think that it shows how awesome our community of writers really are (and how crazy we all are, too).

From a personal standpoint, unfortunately I ran into a few problems as I began to write my HubChallenge Hubs:

1. I was spending most of my time helping get other people involved in the HubChallenge, so my time was very limited.

2. I had a jacked up shoulder, which made it very hard to type for any extended period of time. Considering that I type with like 3 fingers, this resulted in some major time invested into the 16 or so Hubs that I actually *did* write.

3. My shoulder surgery was right in the middle of the HubChallenge and I'm just now able to get back to writing like I used to without having to take breaks every few minutes. 

But, even though I only published 18 Hubs (and I had 3 other Hubs that I had written before) I have had some pretty sweet results:

>> From AdSense I have generated just over $30, which is pretty awesome.

>> From Amazon I have sold 10 products, which have generated nearly $15.

So, I have made nearly $50 from my HubChallenge Hubs, which I think is pretty sweet considering that I only have 20 Hubs (but not even close to Court's nearly $500 that he earned with his Hubs). I plan on writing the other 79 eventually (I published one yesterday), I just need to keep on Hubbing!

So, to all of you Hubbers out there who joined the HubChallenge and have been looking for some closure, I hope this helps and I'll be following up with more info soon.

11. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 15 years ago

I don't care how it ended as long as the darn thing ended.  I was starting to think that we should be serving fries with our orders of fast hubs.

12. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I think one Hub challenge a year will suffice smile

13. Laura Spector profile image59
    Laura Spectorposted 15 years ago

Sheesh...Good thing I saw this post!  Am I the only one that didn't know the challenge had ended?  Two away from my 30...oh well, I tried.  But, I suppose, since i only joined a few weeks ago I'll go ahead and give myself a pat on the back anyway...And release the anxiety and stress of trying to figure out what my last two hubs were going to be...(I promise I was going to write them tomorrow!)  And for anyone who did the 100 hubs in 30 days - I applaud you and think you are magical.  I don't think I could do 100 of anything in 30 days! I can't even take vitamins in daily sequence!

14. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

I would aim to run another challenge before x-mas ...build up some exta spending $$ wink hehe ...n I think all of you who participated ...deserve a bottle a champagne big_smile give yourselves a round of applause ...others such as me...are so proud and admire your feats!

15. Gurdit Singh profile image59
    Gurdit Singhposted 15 years ago

I have not completed the challenge but I am hoping to start my own personal challenge so that it can motivate me.

16. Gurdit Singh profile image59
    Gurdit Singhposted 14 years ago

I completed  150th hub of mine yesterday. the feeling is amazing and very satisfying. It is with another account of course as I see that a lot of people do not want to invest in keyword research and are copying the ideas.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)