under a diff. name I have began selling items on the net.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. nyliram profile image58
    nyliramposted 14 years ago

To illustrate a point, I have sold an item with a $50.00 royalty,  it took me  two hours to write the item, considerably longer reviewing the Buy Now products and the other material which made the article  up.
    So for the sale of a $50.00 item, I received something in the vicinity of $ $14.50 per hour not to mention power. I have just made the hourly wage of a Mc Donalds junior worker Yipppeee NOT
    To boot I have also not made a fortune on any of the other Sales some have netted me as little as $1.00 I am also having to check boring backlinks and all the other stuff that goes with this type of money making.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You've just discovered the reality of the internet!  Believe it or not, some people never "get it" - there are writers on Helium thrilled to be cashing out a few hundred dollars a month in "passive income", and conveniently forgetting how many hundreds of hours it took them to write the articles in the first place.

That's why I'm back at my real-life job.  I do know people who are making it on the internet - it is possible, but from what I can see, it takes many hours of hard, virtually unpaid slog to set yourself up in the first place.  I'm just not prepared to work that hard.

1. nyliram profile image58
        nyliramposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Guess I have always known that it was a slog, and that it could be a long boring slog at that I have never left my real job I am a graphic designer/artist and basically thats where my moolah comes from. I am trying this tho and will for a month. Todate my Sales Royalties with A Cafe Prerss Account and several Zazzle accounts have netted me just over $%500.00 but it has been the Art the most. Stuff they download, interestingly its been on cups mugs and weird things, so studying that as well. You've got to realise that it is hard having to get inspired to paint or sketch or compuiter generate artwork everyday, it ceases to be a pleasure at times. Helium, I don't get why they bother. I gave that one up before I got started.

2. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

I'm not really sure of the point you are attempting to illustrate.  You only have one hub listed, so I don't believe you are comparing sales on other sites with Hubpages, are you?

3. nyliram profile image58
    nyliramposted 14 years ago

just checked and have royalties on a mug they purchased 2 so I get the amazing sum of $4.40. The design work while it is infinite and stays there for future use took over 3 hours. So if I don't sell another I am no longer on the Junior Maccas salary, but more up with the lady that cleans their Bog.

4. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

As Marisa has stated, most will not make a living here, or big bucks either, without lots of work.  But Hubpages is a wonderful place to learn about online writing and advertising if you are considering starting your own site. 

We all have different reasons why we write here.  I do not depend on writing to make my living so I write mainly for self enjoyment.  Others want to make money fast and are dismayed when they find out about the competitive nature of internet writing.

Anyone with a computer can become an internet writer on some site or another and with the flawed rating systems of many content sites, many get a false impression of how well they can actually write.  Even here on HP there are highly rated hubs with poor grammar and punctuation, but this is because ordinary people are doing the rating, not editors.  In fact, some use misspelled words to draw traffic from internet searchers who are poor spellers.

5. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

Point me towards the McDonalds that pays 14.50 per hour. I made less working in a hospital's accounting department.

6. The10DollarMark profile image60
    The10DollarMarkposted 14 years ago

I would actually expect most people to earn a low wage online. Just think about how many people would like to earn money online, so already you have high competition. Then take in that the economy's bad so people are less likely to spend money on products and services they don't need. This makes writing and marketing a rather poor paying job for the average user.

As far as hourly wage goes, it depends on how good of a topic you're talking about. Most of my hubs I've written quickly (different account name), but even then I've only managed to earn maybe the equivalent of 3$ an hour. Most of my helium articles have earned me about 20 cents per hour, but some of them (a select view) have already earned me the equivalent of 5-7$ an hour.

Writing has never been considered to be a good paying job, why should it be different online...*sigh*

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)