What is the biggest folly mans lives with?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (30 posts)
  1. mohitmisra profile image60
    mohitmisraposted 15 years ago

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The ability to speak. LOL!  smile

1. SparklingJewel profile image65
        SparklingJewelposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Oh so true!  big_smile Good one, Sandra!

2. Inspirepub profile image73
      Inspirepubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The belief in his own singular, separate existence, and the accompanying delusion that he is important, and his opinions matter.

Jenny

1. profile image0
        Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years agoin reply to this

"And the accompanying delusion that she is important, that her opinions matter".....

Your opinions are important, and you are important Jenny.

You are worth something.

2. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

That's sweet of you Zarm.

I actually only used "he" to be consistent with Mohit's question, and my separate existence is just as illusory as anyone else's.

It is part of the fascinating multi-layered complexity of life that I, and my opinions, can be both important, and not important - at the same time.

I'm with Mark on the "grain of sand" principle, really.

What I see, think, and say is not my own creation, but the gift of Universe filtered through the unique filter that is the apparently separate me.

Any value in what I say arises from the recognition you have when you hear it, and how that recognition makes you feel. It is the Universe filtering through your uniqueness that you recognise, not any personal brilliance of mine - and it is the Universe to which all credit is due, really.

Jenny

1. profile image0

Your welcome Jenny.

To a certain extent that rings true for me, as we are part and parcel of this universe, the way you express your understanding of the universe is like poetry.

I like your writing smile

2. SparklingJewel profile image65
      SparklingJewelposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it really is wonderful that all the world's spiritual and philosophical paths and religions (most anyway) are trying to express that concept, that there is a human me and a divine me, or a real me and an unreal me, or a lower me and a higher me, a little me and a big me, a secular citizen and a chela, a subconscious me and a conscious me, etc......or as some say a sinner and a disciple. 

I guess the folly is that some don't see the similarities.

3. gamergirl profile image85
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

My answer to this is:

Pride.

Anything else I could say would be negative.

1. profile image0

Define Pride?

For me Pride is thus:

Available falsifiable evidence given that contradicts assumptions and preconceived ideas and which is freely accessible and testably repeatable by anyone and everyone and then the subsequent denial of the evidence as true and demanding attention.  I would include religious dogma and doctrine within that category as well, (things that are assumptive or preconceived).

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities"

-Voltaire

I would say the populist definition of pride is merely thinking you know better than those in perceived positions of established authority.  Whether you actually know better or not is irrelavent to this populist notion.

So in other words "Let me one-up your mind because I say so".  Or, "Let me one-up your mind because important people say so".  Or, "Let me one-up your mind because everyone says so".  Or- if they are really stupid- "Let me one-up your mind because God says so".

These are all approaches taken in populist notions of pride. 

In defense of the populist notion I will say it is quite natural due to social expectations that we all have. 

Natural or not, it is still logically incorrect.

2. TheCapn profile image60
      TheCapnposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Nothing wrong with a little pride. When it leads to hubris, then problems start to arise.

4. gamergirl profile image85
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

Funny, I see pride as:

a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc.

-Merriam-Webster

1. profile image0

that is how I would define pride. 

examples of pride Zarm, I don't want to take food when offered even though I am hungry because doing so makes me look needy or helpless. 

That makes a starving person a fool, that he would rather starve then admitt he needs help. 

I agree with gamergirl.  smile

2. profile image0

By this definition then I am quite proud as I have high regard for my own dignity.  I would not say inordinate, but definitely a high regard for my own self worth/integrity/dignity.

Importance?  Meh, I am no more important than the next person in the grand scheme of things.

Merit?  That's a tricky one and not easy to answer.

Superiority?  That is almost like a trick question.  I have yet to meet anyone that is innately superior to anyone else, including myself.

Pride is good, as pride allows survival.  Too much pride and one cannot learn, but just the right amount and one cannot be made to submit easily...

One of the most annoying as hell things on this planet is when a person verbally refuses to be pidgeon-holed into some neatly boxed up societal/cultural or religious category...

I guess I must be one of those annoying as hell people, who will fight to the death for the right of other people to be annoying as hell as well, whilst in the pursuit of their own life, liberty, and happiness.

Aww shucks.

smile

The biggest folly men live with in my opinion is the need to kill other men when issues cannot be resolved peacefully.

Same goes for the biggest folly women live with.

The human race just isn't very good at merely "walking" away and coming back to talk later.

We suck when it comes to doing an about face and leaving the area after a failed act of diplomacy.

1. profile image0

naaa, it's not so much pride you have Zarm, it's more like self respect, or confidence, or self worth.  I am certainly glad you see yourself as a person worth something because you are indeed.  smile

5. balisunset profile image59
    balisunsetposted 15 years ago

life itself

6. Jeromeo profile image60
    Jeromeoposted 15 years ago

You will go to Heaven or Hell when you die.  Out of fear of death while in God's disfavor, many think they will burn in Hell-fire-for eternity.

Out of the same misguided notion, many speak of how they know their loved-ones, are looking down, on them, form heaven or watching over them after the've died.

The life and times of Jesus Christ were are the perfect example of what we can expect and  hope for after death.  Other than loving one-another and being kind to each other the most important thing that Jesus shared with us was his death opening the door for mankind gift of the, Resurrection.

Bottom line, mankind can look forward to the Resurrection after death.  Only 144,000, to include the 12 deciples minus Judas, the [betrayer]  will go to heaven.

Those of us who are meek will inherit the earth, the very place God made for us in the first place.

Mankind going to [Heaven] or [Hell] is the biggest folly man lives with.

1. profile image0

That's funny because I believe Tom or Mark quoted some other guy I foget his name, he said something to the effect that the biggest 'folly' of man was believing in an afterlife. 

So, while they are different quotes,  really they are one in the same.  Maybe it really is all about being successful here first, the rest will be a suprise.  If nothing happens, how you gonna know anyways? 

smile

2. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

So that's 143,988 then, yes?

3. profile image0

Your "God" is the 3rd biggest folly mankind lives with.

Thats right, the 3rd biggest, not the 1st.

Sorry

4. TheCapn profile image60

Read your Bible, after death you'll have to wait to be judged. It could take a while too depending on how long it takes for the earth to end and all, you know, the reading of the book of life and all that.

Why is it that so many Christians refuse to study their Bible?! Back when I was one I was studying that thing all the time. Maybe they're afraid that like me and so many others, if they read too much into it, they'll realize how silly and wrong it all is.

1. profile image0

The best part is the 144,100, that claim cracked me up.

If they read the whole Bible and meditated on each part they probably would either A.  Fry their brains like a fried egg or B.  Leave x-tianity.

"Exodus 22: 29-30
        Do not hold back offerings from your granaries or your vats.
        "You must give me the firstborn of your sons. 30 Do the same with your cattle and your sheep. Let them stay with their mothers for seven days, but give them to me on the eighth day."

mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

There is depth in these words you are missing out on.It means for God you must give up everything ,then you get God.I earlier said with the universe or God it goes as you conquer this universe the universe conquers you.
          When do I get to see,meet God?
          Whenever you really decide to,
          When you want nothing.

1. TheCapn profile image60

Fair enough but I'm not getting into the philosophy of it, I'm merely arguing a technicality within the scripture and commenting on the fact that so few so-called Christians actually read and study it. If someone is going to tell me that the Bible is the authoritative word of god, they should at least know what the thing says!

Most are like puppets repeating without understanding.

7. mohitmisra profile image60
    mohitmisraposted 15 years ago

An interesting story comes from the Mahabharata one of the Masterpieces of poetry composed by the sage Vyasa and written by Ganesha.

Ganeshas condition to Vyasa in order thet he write Vyasa must not falter or halt while reciting.

Vyasa condition to Ganehsa-contemplate and understand what I am saying then write thus giving him time.
    Deals with Krishna and The Pandava brothers Yudhistara,Arjuna,Bhima.Nakula and Sahadeva who have been exiled from their kingdom.
    In exile a brother goes to fetch water from the nearby lake and doesnt return even after some time has past. Worried another of the five brothers goes to look and even he doesnt return.
    Eventually four brothers go and do not return forcing the eldest brother Yudishtara to go in search of his younger brothers.
    On reaching the lake he is confronted by the lake spirit who says he has captured his youger brothers as they were unable to answer his question and he will also take him in bondage if he doesnt answer the question correctly.
    The question is -What is the biggest folly man lives ?.
    Yudhistara answers correctly-Mans biggest folly is that he lives life like he will never die.
    Because of this his priorites in life are all warped. He postpones important things which he should be doing now.

8. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

'Mankind going to [Heaven] or [Hell] is the biggest folly man lives with.' 'Mans biggest folly is that he lives life like he will never die.'

There is paradise on death,one must go without any desires. We are in hell.

9. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Sorry about that. Helen Of Troy.

Sorry beautiful.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)