Is it wrong to hold a door open for someone?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (45 posts)
  1. LaVieja profile image60
    LaViejaposted 14 years ago

I like it when someone opens a door for me, or offers me their seat. Am I politically incorrect? I expect to give up my seat to an old age pensioner, pregnant lady, child, but don't often see it happen. Why doesn't it? Isn't it just polite?

1. Diskobolos profile image58
      Diskobolosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's not wrong, but it can be cheesy.smile

2. Vladimir Uhri profile image60
      Vladimir Uhriposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Political correct is political garbage. It is communistic correct.

2. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

I open doors for ladies, men, kids, whatever. As for why most don't seem to give up their seats for others, I think it's the attitude of today.

People don't want to get involved with anyone else. Or, so damn many get all upset when you try to help them that people become afraid to help others.

1. Diskobolos profile image58

Bill, let me guess, you work as a doorman?smile

1. Bill Manning profile image69
        Bill Manningposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haha! No, I work at home actually. It's just,,, why not? I'm in no hurry, yet everyone else seems to be. So go ahead, rush in and let me hold the door open for ya while I take my sweet time! smile

2. LaVieja profile image60
      LaViejaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good to know I am not the only one who does it. Sometimes I think maybe its a bit of fear. Certainly in London where we are always told to be on high alert for suspicious things/people it doesn't really encourage any interaction - however innocent.

3. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Only if your intention is to get a good look at their butt.

4. yoshi97 profile image57
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

It's only wrong when there is a hungry predator behind the door. smile

5. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Is it wrong to be polite?

I've never had anyone be anything but polite to me when I hold a door open. And there have been other times when I have been pleasantly surprised by someone doing it for me.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I always open doors for people (male and female)...not many say thank you.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.smile

1. profile image53
        Cathy Suttonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!

Although some many years ago, the first person who had opened the door for me found himself holding it for approximately 1 minute. (No kidding!) His persistence paid off, for I finally went through that door totally shocked, but at the same time awed.  My dad had never done that, so I did not know what to expect, but I liked it.

So in summary, some people may not understand it, but give them time.  Then they will, and they will like it. What will they  like? They will like the courtesy and respect shown in this very act of kindness.  It shows a placing of others before oneself which is opposite the way the self-centered world thinks today.  (Just drive 30 minutes on any well traveled road if you don't agree with me.)

So, I say keep it up.  It may not change the world... and then again, if enough do it, it just might.  Pass it on!

2. Money Glitch profile image63
      Money Glitchposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do the same thing Uninvited Writer and you're right some don't even acknowledge your act of kindness. For this reason, I always make a point to give a big smile and "thank you" when someone opens the door for me. big_smile

3. dogluver1 profile image58
      dogluver1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some dont say thank you to me either.

7. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

me too! it's just the polite thing to do.

8. zzron profile image57
    zzronposted 14 years ago

Of course not.Is it wrong to offer me a million dollars ? Of course not. Any act of kindness should be welcomed by all. Its not every day you see someone else being courteous and thoughtful and helpful of others. http://hubpages.com/_1jlnpyoil2g4b/hub/rudepeople

9. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I think it is really nice, polite and certainly the correct thing to do. In fact, I am shocked when I see people not being polite by opening the door or offering up their seat to the elderly, etc. If a date does not open and hold the door for me, I find it truly bizarre and see it as an indicator that the guy either has no manners and probably wasn't raised right. Also, I like it when the guy opens the car door too, although that is becoming more rare these days.

My parents signed me up for an etiquette course when I was about 12 or so and I remember the 'unit' on holding doors LOL

One of the questions was something to the effect of: If you're out on a date with someone and they do not open the door you should:
    a.) wait until they do.
    b.) ask them to open the door.
    c.) open the door yourself.

The correct answer was A, but I argued with the instructor that it could get awkward and I'd rather just open the door! hahaha

Anyways, I think it is a very nice gesture and there is certainly nothing 'politically incorrect' about it.

10. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

I once opened the door for an elderly couple, and after that about ten people walked through.  I think they thought I was a door opener or something smile.

1. waynet profile image69
      waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha same here! sort of like when you lend someone money, then all of their friends start asking for money and then their friends of friends start asking you for money like you're a bank!

1. SweetiePie profile image83
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When I was in my early twenties I used to feel really bad several men who were at the bus stop and told me they were out of money, and needed help with bus fare.  I gave out a few dollars here and there until one man told me he saw this scam they used to play.  They would go up to people and ask for change, tell a sob story, and then walk over to the liquor store and buy booze.  He said several made about two hundred or so dollars a day doing this LOL.

11. dfunzy profile image59
    dfunzyposted 14 years ago

If they're tipping, no.

12. dogluver1 profile image58
    dogluver1posted 14 years ago

I hold doors open for everyoe I come across. And offer people seats on the train and bus.

13. K Partin profile image61
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

I always hold the door for anyone, just the way I was brought up! But if they don't say thanks I tell them you're welcome! Usually they'll say Oh I'm sorry.

14. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I wish a man would hold a door open for me....

1. K Partin profile image61
      K Partinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would! No problemo. yikes

1. kmackey32 profile image64
        kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile well thank you. You mean you wouldnt steal from me, my kids or hit me? It seems those are the only kind of men I ever meet. Kinda strange...

1. K Partin profile image61
          K Partinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's too bad, there are allot of low-life's out there. I wish you luck. smile

yup. Ive met everyone but I think this year is time for a change.....

2. Diskobolos profile image58

Maybe because that is the kind of men you subconsciously were looking for.

2. profile image0

I'll bet it's usually a fight to get there first!smile

15. Play Free Games profile image55
    Play Free Gamesposted 14 years ago

Yesturday my wife was in a wheel chair for the first time. We when to one of the largest shopping malls in the world. I never noticed before how nice people really can be. I never once had to worry about opening doors. It was like a competition to see who could get to the door to open it first. It wasn't only doors. People where respectful everywhere in the busy mall to make sure we could get around. (This was kids, teenagers, adults of all ages)
    My point is that this should be for everyone. Opening a door for anyone makes a person feel good. (handicapped or not)

This is true.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I find when I walk with my cane that people jump to open doors, but when I adon't have my cane they don't smile People act completely differently.

1. profile image0

I'd open any door for you.smile

16. elayne001 profile image79
    elayne001posted 14 years ago

Even after being married for almost 40 years, I appreciate my husband opening my door. Of course I can do it myself, but it makes me feel good and he enjoys it. As far as other people go, I always appreciate a helping hand getting through a door although sometimes it can be a bit awkward.

17. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Thank God chivalry is not dead - at least here in the South. Men always hold the door open for me, and I always say thank you. I'm sure it's still alive in other locales, too, but I just haven't been there to see it.

18. K Partin profile image61
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

Maybe we should pass a law, "Please open and hold doors for others! " Huh? smile

1. profile image0

Hear!Hear!

19. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I still remember once when I had a full leg cast and had to stand on the subway to and from work almost every day. It was not pleasant.

It's funny but I find it's mostly women who will say thank you when you open a door.

And usually women who hold doors open. Of course, there are always exceptions.

20. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Well, DUH, UW! Everyone knows women are nicer than men!

(Holle taking cover now under the computer desk!)

1. emievil profile image68
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

Seriously, I hold doors open also for other people and I always receive a thank you. But I don't expect other people to hold the doors for me. I think that they think that I'm more than capable of barging through a door by myself what with my built and all big_smile.

21. Wayne Orvisburg profile image63
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years ago

I do it. Just seems like a nice thing to do. I actually have more people open doors for me.

22. Don W profile image83
    Don Wposted 14 years ago

Bill Manning you look incredibly smooth. do you wax at all?

23. jessicab profile image61
    jessicabposted 14 years ago

There is nothing wrong with  holding the door for someone, its when you let the door go and let it swing is what angers me.I hold the door open for people all time male or female, young and old.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)