Annoyed about hubscores

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 14 years ago

I have strived over the last 5 weeks to produce as many hubs as i can but to a high quality. I heard at first that if go around serial 'following' this can penalise your hubscore

I added a few people but then cut down when i heard this. I only follow about 12 people.

i just noticed someone who has 25 hubs but nearly all of them are recipes only about 10 lines long, and other hubs a few paragraphs with one or two pictures. my hubs are nearly always 6 large paragraphs with 6-7 pictures which i worked hard on.

How come my hubscore is 63 and hers is 86? I have been struggling to meet 80 for the last 3 weeks and I know I got dropped to 66 yesterday after losing 5 points for having a hub flagged which I have now resubmitted after editing.. hope things improve, Im not just in this for the adsense, want to be a valued member!

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hope your hubscore will be better soon Richie, just be patient with it, As long as you are satisfied and happy with your output then just wait for it to rise,

2. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Keep in mind that traffic can play a big part. These recipe hubs might be things that a lot of people are searching for.

And while I will find your hub on Interesting Mayan Facts far more entertaining than a recipe, there might not be such a big call for it.

But don't let that stop or slow you down. Ignore the Hub/Hubber Score. Concentrate on researching and writing about things that interest you, and target what people are searching for that you can use for the angle of your writing and also for the tags.

It took me a year before I had hub to score 100. And about the same for my own HubberScore to hit 100. I tend to pay it no heed.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with this advice.  Also, Let it rest for a bit, focus on something else.. then come back and look with fresh eyes. 

I think you are doing fine, perhaps just expecting too much too soon.

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you have nice hubs. someone could be rating them down for some strange reason. there's a bad case of FullMoonitis going around HP lately wink

i just wrote a nice hub lst night and it keeps going down for some inexplicable reason. right now it's at 45. don't let it bother you. just keep writing. as Lazarus Long says "When the fox gnaws, smile".

and if i feel that someone is intentionally rating down mine, i will have HP investigate, no doubt. then i will expose them. that's how i roll...

2. Richieb799 profile image74

Thanks Hun smile

3. yoshi97 profile image57
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

We all start at the bottom of the glass and slowly rise to the top. As a lot of things go into a hubbers score (many of which unknown to us mortal hubbers), we can only do that which has been shown to work in the past and know a day will come when we will wonder what it was like to be a 12, a 34, or a 63.

Your hubscore doesn't rate you as a person unless you are spamming the site. So, knowing that you aren't I would tell you that you should keep writing and allow the system to slowly carry you up the ladder. Trust me ... once you get to the top rungs you won't find yourself falling back down. smile

1. cheaptrick profile image73
      cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"We all start at the bottem of the glass"
      I have a funny feeling I'm going to end up being the one who has to Wash the glass:)

4. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I think your hubscore also counts how long you have been a member.

5. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Question:  are your hubs being read?  I just looked at three of them, and they had no comments.

What I saw was well laid out and clearly written, so even if they are not being read, they should do well in time.

Richieb799posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have been getting traffic, and linking alot, I have 16 comments altogether. Im not concerned if they are mainstream, I know as long as I keep writing I will be content with the traffic I get.
      Bare in mind the hubs you read a probably ones I have only just published, I publish usually one a day, I published one everyday  the last 4 days

6. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

In that is the case, and you have no warning flags (only you can see those), then I see no reason for your score to be so low. 

In one of yoshi97's hubs, he mentioned that linking too much too fast can hurt your efforts as far as google is concerned, but I don't know that much about it.

If I remember right, commenting on others hubs tends to help get your score up initially.  Though, I am guessing you are already doing that too.

7. yoshi97 profile image57

One way to bump your score is to be visible in the community. I like to go over into the questions and answer what ones I can.

Sometimes I cheat and Google an answer I'm not sure of, but the result is always the same ... someone happy to have their question answered and a new friendship is formed. smile

8. KeithTax profile image74
    KeithTaxposted 14 years ago

My hubscore went to the upper 70s pretty quick and have stayed there so far. Fingers crossed.

You may have too many pictures. I am curious why you were flagged. This might be the reason your score is lower.

I never tried to get a high score; I just wrote what I thought would be helpful to others. Hope this helps.

9. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Also, traffic seems to be down across the board. So don't be too concerned about the performance of your hubs at the moment. Now would probably not be a good time to do any social bookmark linking, but publishing quality content (both at HubPages and at other sites, with links to your hubs) might be a good thing to do.

People seem to stray from their computers during the festive season, but search engines bots don't have time off.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm relieved to hear you say that!  Traffic to all my sites has been down over the last week or so.  I shall now relax and stop worrying about it.

Richie, I know it sounds mad to say "don't worry about your scores" - I can hear you asking why we have them, if they don't matter?   I wonder myself, sometimes! 

The fact is, your HubScores/Hubber score have no bearing on your earnings or on your ability to attract traffic.  They're an internal HubPages measures that reflect all kinds of things including your participation in forums, your traffic, how many fans you have, etc.  If your score drops below a certain level, links in your Hubs become no-follow, but even that is only a concern if you're trying to promote another site.  So please stop worrying and go on writing!

10. yoshi97 profile image57

Pure madness, I say! Don't worry about your scores?

Nah, I'm just joshing ya ... Seriously, it will improve after the New Year.

My traffic finally plummeted tonight and I had to keep plumbing the leaks to get that far. I finally surrendered and let the bathwater drain, knowing things would improve in about a week or two. smile

11. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Hi.
    I think you are having the same issue I did recently with my hub scores.
    I read this hub and incorporated some of the elements.
    One of my hubs had a 100 score, and it gets very little traffic so I believe it is the content that boosted it up.
    Good for practicing:

Flagship Hub Program

12. Richieb799 profile image74

Thanks for all of your support guys, and the nice comments you made on my hubs, I will try and reply to them after work, and checkout some of your hubs smile

13. OregonWino profile image60
    OregonWinoposted 14 years ago

Hey buddy, I wouldn't worry.  Just keep doing your thing and stay engaged with the community and the score will keep building. I think that a component is the amount of traffic from other sites as well...who knows, but that is my gut feeling as when I started bookmarking my stuff at Xomba etc and getting more non-hubpages traffic my scores started increasing more.

Richieb799posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah i already use xomba, and lots of bookmarking, got my 20 hubs now cause my sexy xmas gifts one was cleared! went up 8 points after that

14. creativeone59 profile image68
    creativeone59posted 14 years ago

Hi Richieb, I think we all have our concerns about scores in different areas here at  hubpages. But the best things you can do is continue to write great hubs,comment on others hubs and comment at  the forums sometimes, we have to let people know we're here. Always have faith in yourslef,  and in your work and the rest will happen. Godspeed.  creativeone59

15. readytoescape profile image59
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

I’ve been trying to figure out the scoring thing for months now. Hubber score changes almost daily, hub scores change almost daily, quality or quantity of the hub, page views whatever, up, down, all around. I’ve had individual hubs score highly then they drop, others have never moved after the initial publishing bump.

Best I can figure is its arbitrary at best and basically a worthless value since it apparently defines nothing anyone knows or will divulge.

Kinda the same as the hub nuggets thing, where they come from, or how each article or hubber is selected, who the hell knows.

1. profile image0

i don't think it's by high hub scores. some people had high hub scores but were never selected as hub nuggets.

16. readytoescape profile image59

I've had a feature article a couple of times, (don't know how that happened either)but never been nuggeted, not really a surprise in a community of tens of thousands. But I have noticed a couple of the same hubbers in there multiple times, I thought originally is was a "club" but I never saw a sign up so who knows?

1. profile image0

yes, me too. it's a mystery! smile

17. profile image0
    selrachposted 14 years ago

Just enjoy hubbing scores mean nought to me

18. readytoescape profile image59

It just seems to me if you are going to use a scoring, value or placement system everyone should know what it is.

I mean for example you would think a 100 hubber would have some great material to read, or that this hubber is rating a lot of traffic, or their following the rules, something.

But if you try to use score to identify a quality or a particular strategy to emulate or even something good to read, don’t use the score.

19. libra profile image61
    libraposted 14 years ago

Would it not be a better practice for hubscores to be displayed privately - only to the hubber - rather than publicly? The hubber is unfairly prejudiced with a publicly displayed score, as a reader might be influenced to ignore a low-score hub.

20. efeguy profile image39
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

don't be discourage you are there already.

21. Richieb799 profile image74

Yeah Im cool now, score has gone up drastically last weeks big_smile

22. jimmythejock profile image82
    jimmythejockposted 14 years ago

best not to worry about hubscores, they dont worry about you lol.
    seriously though Hubscore is nothing unless under 50 search engine ranking is what really matters.....jimmy

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)