What happens if you become a fan whore?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (15 posts)
  1. hot dorkage profile image74
    hot dorkageposted 15 years ago

What if you just go down the list of all hubbers and automatically fan everyone.  I know in a lot of sites this is considered a negative thing to do and it will drop your reputation or whatever.     What happens to fan whores on hubpages?  Someone who knows please tell.

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
      Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, here's a hubber who makes it a practice to fan everyone.
      Check him out. And his hub score.
      Join the dots, and you'll have an answer to your questions.

http://hubpages.com/profile/robertkelleher

2. Maddie Ruud profile image71
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

At a certain point, if the number of people you're becoming a fan of greatly outweighs the number of fans you yourself have, it may negatively affect your HubScore, but the average user has nothing to worry about.  If someone is systematically becoming a fan of every single user that indicates an attempt to game the system (either for backlinks or in an attempt to get masses of fans), and behavior like that is penalized.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

Like anyone here, I am always happy to see a new fan.  As soon as possible, I try to read one or a few articles by the person who has joined my list.

If I see similar interests and a pretty good grasp of language, I usually jump into their fan list because I want to read more from someone who has commented on my hubs.

When I see that someone has just added 347 fans to their list in a matter of an hour or so-- I don't think they have even tried to read anything of mine or anyone else's.

I also like to  be early to comment on a new hubber that shows talent or promise. I know I was VERY encouraged when I quickly got a nice fanmail from Lissie as my first fan. She is Awesome! Her encouragement got me hooked on this.

Though I haven't always done it, I usually try to write a response to a hub I have recently read and enjoyed or appreciated -- and a comment to the fan list.

4. topstuff profile image60
    topstuffposted 15 years ago

Fan=Fan

5. hot dorkage profile image74

Thanks  for the answer.  I have a great bunch of fans.  Any one can feel free to join them.   wink 

Now another question re comments  Lets say there's a brand new hub and I am the first to comment on it.  Will that help my rep more than if I am #15 and jump on the bandwagon and if so how much?      And non HP members how can they comment on a hub?  Only thumb up?

And OK lets say I fan someone and then go for three months without reading hub of theirs and they have written 20 new ones.   Would I be penalized for that, i.e. would it be better for me to unfan them?  And if they hadn't written any new ones I should not be penalized because there's nothing new to read and I still like them.  Ahhh.... the data mining possibilities are endless. 

Personally, I think fan clubs should be de-facto and not de jure but those numbers would be tricky to crunch and it is so much easier just to have people declare it.     

Come on Maddie, just get the Deedster to send me  source code.  wink

6. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

Our scoring system is pretty good, but we're not conceited enough to think that is completely immune to manipulation.  That's why we keep some of the details to ourselves.  Warning to scammers -- if you do find a good way to manipulate your score  I'd advise you not to go overboard.  If you're score gets too out of whack with your actual contribution you can be sure we'll notice and do something about it (it's also a violation of our terms of use)

7. hot dorkage profile image74

Please understand everybody that I ask these questions from curiosity and not from any desire to scam anyone. I am the author of several web apps where we had user contributed content and we were constantly fighting scammers who tried to force their spammy crappola into every possible nook.  Just go to Yahoo Pipes and you will see what I mean.   

I like to see good quality rewarded and also to have measures to keep it from too heavily weighted toward an internal popularity contest like some sites have fallen to be.  I'm sure that's hubpages goal too, right after making MONEY. 

The problem is that artists spend their time to produce good stuff but don't  have the salesy mindset to promote it even legitimately.  Scammers crank out crap by the cartload and spend their energy gaming the systems.  Some algorithms are highly flawed, like Epinions (why I don't write there any more).  In Epinions if you made a tight package with economy of wording and there wasn't that much to say to begin with you could never score high with it and it hurt your overall score.   They much preferred mountains of unnecessary verbiage even about something mundane like Tylenol.    I hated those long boring reviews, yet if I rated them negatively because they were overly verbose, then my ratings would fall because they disagreed with all the rubber stampers who rated them highly because the highly rated people rubberstamped each other.  Circular, eh?  I found out how the algorithms worked by running afoul of them by being honest and NOT playing the game everyone else was playing. 

Reducing a complex profile of opus and behavior to a simple numeric rating that is fair and can't be gamed is a tricky business.  Well, clearly posting in forums seems to be pushing me up the ladder.  wink   But I will only continue doing it as long as I have a question to ask or one that I can answer.

From what I've read of Paul Deeds in the forums, our brains work very much alike.  wink

8. profile image58
    4NuzeLetrposted 15 years ago

Join my fan club smile

1. darkside profile image67
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You have no hubs.

9. glassvisage profile image82
    glassvisageposted 15 years ago

I feel so guilty when people ask me to be in their fan clubs... hopefully that won't mean a lower Hubscore! lol

10. Rik Ravado profile image87
    Rik Ravadoposted 15 years ago

Interesting example Eric - I wondered why his Hubscore was so low! 

Once again proves the old adage that its better to be write good, original CONTENT and not worry too much about fans, hubscore etc. or how the scoring algorithms work.

11. Janet21 profile image79
    Janet21posted 15 years ago

Is this a fan whore? hmm

Fans: 693
    Hubs: 4

I came across a hubber w/ these stats today.

1. relache profile image71
      relacheposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You're thinking of it backwards.  The term is being used to refer not to how many fans you have, but to someone who joins tons of other people's fan clubs you join. 

However, I find it highly suspect to presume that someone here for such a short time with so few hubs has so many fans by natural means.  I smell something ham-like...

12. broalexdotinfo profile image56
    broalexdotinfoposted 15 years ago

I think there is no point in joining someones club, or becoming a fan of that user if not interested in the hubs he/she publishes. I`d like to thank all my fans. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)