number of paypal account allowable

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. nick071438 profile image57
    nick071438posted 14 years ago

I'm not kidding.  I'm already in my sunset and I mean business.  I need honest-to-goodness answers.  I'm really confused.  Can I open more than one pay pal account?  Is the pay pal account not enough without a credit card?  Can one of these documents mot stand without the other?  Kindly share me your expertise.  Thank you.

1. tim-tim profile image71
      tim-timposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe that you can only sign up for one account. You either would need to have a bank account or a credit card to process it. Does it answer your question? I hope that will help you. It is hard to learn all that on the internet. Trust me, I am already in mt  sunset as well, LOL.

2. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

You can have one personal account and one account in the name of your business. However, the personal account only lets you send money. If you want to accept money on a non-business account, you need a premier account. This is where Catch 22 comes in: you can't have a premier account and a business account at the same time. So if you ever need to accept money on a personal basis, you are stuck with having to use the same eBay account (premier or business) for both your private use and your business use. This is one of the most stupid rules I have ever come across. It goes against the most fundamental principle of keeping private money separate from business money.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry WriteAngled, that's not correct.  It's a common misconception, though.

I only have the basic Paypal account and I accept money all the time. 

I believe you only need a premier account if you want to accept credit card payments.

3. nick071438 profile image57
    nick071438posted 14 years ago

tim-tim and writeAngled, you are my angels.  Thank you for sharing me your expertise on the issue.  I know it's not only me who'll derive benefit from the knowledge you've shared but likewise others.  May your tribe increase.

4. WriteAngled profile image74

Arrgh! Obviously I meant Paypal not eBay account!!!

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but a number of years ago I had huge problems when I got rid of the credit card account for the card I had registered as my primary card with Paypal. It was a Visa card. I tried to register my new Visa card (from a different provider) and was told I couldn't register a second Visa card with Paypal, even though the first card account no longer existed and I had deleted that card from my Paypal account. I had to apply for an extra Mastercard in order to have a card Paypal would accept.

5. WriteAngled profile image74

From Paypal:

"•Personal Account
    This account is ideal if you shop online. Make safer, faster payments on eBay and hundreds of other websites without sharing your details. You can also send money to friends and family for very low fees, or for free with your bank account.

•Premier Account
    Perfect for both buying and selling, you can make secure payments on eBay and many other retail websites. You can also use this account to accept credit card, debit card and bank account payments for low fees.

•Business Account
    If you're looking to start or expand your online business, you can choose from a range of Business Accounts to suit your needs. With low fees, a Business Account lets you accept credit card, debit card and bank account payments from over 20 million online shoppers"

Thus it seems that a personal account can only accept money from someone who has a Paypal account that has been loaded with money, although even that is not mentioned in the account description. That is not very useful, even if I only want to sell the odd secondhand CD or whatever on eBay, I would most probably be unable to accept a payment from many buyers.

This is Paypal being misleading, to tempt people into paying money for an account they don't need.  You'll note they don't say you can ONLY make payments with the personal account - they just fail to mention receiving.  It's very unfair but you're not the first person to get sucked in.

I've had a personal account with Paypal for several years and have never had a problem accepting money.  That's how I get paid by Helium, and by my eBay affiliate account. 

Here's the account comparison and you'll see they don't even mention the ability to receive money other than by credit card.  And the big disadvantage of the premier and business accounts is that there's a fee for receiving payments, which doesn't apply on the personal account:

https://www.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/websc … es-outside

6. WriteAngled profile image74

Humph, well then Paypal definitely suckered me!

I'm not surprised, to be honest.  I used to write on Helium, which pays by Paypal.  People were constantly posting on the forums because they had signed up for the Premium account, thinking that was the only way they could receive the money. 

The fees may have changed now, but at the time having a Premium account meant they were charged a fee to receive the payment - and since Helium's payout is so low, it really mattered.

1. nick071438 profile image57
        nick071438posted 12 years agoin reply to this

As can be seen, I'm the original poster of this issue.  I happened to drop by  and notice these vital answers to the query just now.  I wish to let those who have participated in the forum that I'm sincerely grateful to them, especially to Marisa Wright and. WriteAngled.  Thank you again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)