does anyone download torrents fo movies and music?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. double_frick profile image60
    double_frickposted 14 years ago

i knew they were cracking down but its getting damn near ridiculous trying to find *new* movies with any seeds! sad
    anyone else dealing with this or have any suggestions??

1. marcel285 profile image64
      marcel285posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've just decided to get movies from the store now rather than download. Because it's just so dodgy. You can upload so many viruses like that, and unless you know how to get rid of them, i think it's best to bite the bullet and fork out the cash for cds and dvds.

2. The10DollarMark profile image61
    The10DollarMarkposted 14 years ago

Nope. If I want to watch a movie online I'll look at Hulu, Veoh, or go to the library.

And if I want music. Well there's youtube.

I'm not gonna go and risk being fined with torrents; streaming is fine for me.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I don't know, maybe because it is illegal?

4. double_frick profile image60
    double_frickposted 14 years ago

well, it shouldn't be illegal since its *free* no one is making profit...
    before the internet and dvds no one was getting in trouble for recording on VHS and circulating in among friends or family. but now that they can keep track everyone is all up in arms. and hey, if hollywood would spit out consistently decent (not even good, just decent) movies i wouldn't mind spending some god awful amount buying the dvds or even paying opera house prices for the theater. too much to ask, i guess.

are torrents illegal? technically, maybe? i think they are fighting this at ISOhunt.com. hmm...but i doubt i'm going to get fines or even looked at twice...the people getting in trouble *besides the websites* are the big uploaders...

and sunforged. thanks so much. torrents galore now! ♥

5. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

Downloading music, movies and everything else on the web is the same as stealing. So,,,, you don't mind if I copy and download all your hubs, websites and whatever else you have on the net, because it's free as you say?

People put time and money into all this "free" stuff, just like your hubs. I'm sure you would not like it if someone downloaded all your writing to use as they wish. Same thing. mad

I'm just trying to make you see that what you feel is free to take is in fact someone else's property, something that they spent hours and days on.

Then someone comes along and in seconds takes it with no thought about it. Everything on the web was made by someone who owns it. Just like how you make hubs.

1. double_frick profile image60
      double_frickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thats not the same thing, imo.
      if someone copied my hub it would likely be to get money, right? or else why would they do it? if they are spreading the double_frick love for free, more power to them. these movies would not be bought anyway...people just wouldn't be seeing them at all. hmm
      i mean, we all have to admit that at *least* 85% of what comes out of hollywood is such a wasted and a disappointment. thank goodness i can preview these movies before buying them. and when i find a movie i like, i do buy it. i'm sure this goes for many people...

how much money do you make a year? how much money do i make? why should these millionaires get to stamp their feet about missing out on $20 here or there when they aren't putting out material *worth* buying anyway. its not stealing any more than loaning out your dvd in your cupboard to your granny...

6. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Both radioHead and NIN released their albums for free download via torrents. Thousands of public domain movies and audio tracks are available as are recordings that are no longer commercially available.

Involvement with torrent software and a sharing community doesnt have to be synonymous with pirating.

1. Bill Manning profile image69
      Bill Manningposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure there are places that let their stuff be downloaded for free. But both of us know that people that download stuff don't stop at the things meant to be for free.

I understand how it's easy to not think about it, but if your on the other side it hurts. Just like if you made a 5,000 word article, taking days to make. Then finding it copied hundreds of times.

People make a living making stuff to be bought on the net. Having it ripped off by torrents is no different than someone breaking into a store and stealing it.

I just wish people would think about that more. Lots of time, tears, sweat and money goes into stuff that is ripped off in seconds online.

1. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was just justifying a useful technology, similar arguments used to erupt over whether making a mix tape off the radio or recording a movie off of HBO was theft(or so I have heard). Both of course are for personal use and didnt involve any direct payment to the original artist.

Torrents and file sharing are the same thing at a much larger scale.

As an artist and a writer I do value my intellectual property and the rights of others.

But, Im not sure that I will cry myself to sleep about James camerons Avatar being accessible with a mouse click but in principle I probably should.

@the Cleaning Club - the movies people download can just as easily be watched on a 42' plasma in bluray quality

7. profile image0
    Tilecleaninghubposted 14 years ago

When I want to invest my time in a movie I will rent it from a video store, play on my big screen tv and enjoy all that it has to offer.  Watching some downloaded movie on small computer screen seems pointless.

8. profile image0
    Norah Caseyposted 14 years ago

Illegal downloads are against HubPages TOS. This thread is closed.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)