New to Hubpages.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image52
    SqueekSposted 14 years ago

Hello all!

Surfing the net I have stumbled upon this interesting place! It looks like a lot of fun and a good opportunity to make money - even if it is just a little extra spending money! I'm a broke college student so every little bit helps. I have heard of people paying all their bills being a blogger. I spend a lot of time online anyway. It can't hurt to try, right?

I am an English major and I love writing! I am actually writing several books of my own! It's hard to get one finished as I am still in school, so homework takes president over my fictional characters.

I've been thinking about what I know that I can write about. What things I know that will be both entertaining and useful to other Hubbers. I'd like to make money at this, but I want to earn it. I don't want to submit silly things that are of no interest to people. I've only joined about three hours ago and this is what I have thought to write about so far:

College life
    English major
    Living as a broke college student
    My tips for writing
    Feminism
    Women's rights

There's a longer list beside my computer, but are those helpful topics? I realize that they are generalized topics, but I would be more detailed in my articles.

Thank you for any helpful feedback! I hope I can be a successful and contributing Hubber!

1. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey, we should start a club! big_smile

Welcome to Hubpages!

2. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 14 years ago

welcome to hubpages

3. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Welcome to HubPages. All of the topics above seem interesting good luck. I will give you only one piece of advice. Read other Hubbers hubs on making money and remember that while the potential is here it does not happen over night.

1. profile image52
      SqueekSposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, thank you. I am absolutely not expecting over night fortune. I feel like if I work at this and learn from other successful Hubbers then maybe in a few months I can expect some checks in the mail. I am not holding my breathe though. Part of this is a learning experience for me. I have this dream - possibly more of a fantasy - that I can work from home. I am praying to God that the books I am writing become best sellers or at least give me the means to support myself. I have no delusions about this place. I hope it can help me become a better writer - or blogger! Thanks for the advice! I will try not to get ahead of myself! smile

4. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

RUN RUN I SAY!! It is an asylum...hurry before it is too late...you can save yourself...what are you waiting for RUN! Escape before they find you!

Welcome to HP  wink

big_smile

1. profile image52

Oh my gosh! At first I was like, "oh no!" LOL! I hope this will be a fun experience!

5. Faybe Bay profile image64
    Faybe Bayposted 14 years ago

Welcome SqueekS. Try not to get addicted, and it's not an asylum, really... You can trust me. Just be careful, stay out of religion and politics. I do, and I am fine. smile

May you have many smiles and many hugs here. And hurry up and write a hub so I can read it! smile

1. profile image52

Hmmm.... I wonder if addiction will be the word to describe myself. Well, my goal is to try to make money at this - i know it will take A WHILE for that to happen, but I will seriously pee my pants the day I make $20 doing this! smile When it comes to politics, I will definitely stay out of that arena, but religion I've got no beef. I assume you've sent the warning because religious opinions don't bod well with other Hubbers. Is this correct? I will keep it in mind. I will probably mostly focus on how to survive. I.E. how to budget time and what it takes to make ends meet each month. I am a broke college student, so I know quite a bit about that arena! Thanks for the advice!

6. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

Uh-Oh...she said the G word...the atheists are going to eat her alive now...

mMUUUAAAHHAAHAHAA  <---Evil Laugh

1. profile image52

uh-oh. So the "G Word" is a bad word to use on here? Whatevs! smile Religion isn't something I will be debating. I will be more sensitive next time.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
        Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL, say what you want as long as it isn't a personal attack. Just be ready and willing to hear what the opposing side believes, because they will tell you.

7. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

Personally I'm too scared to go into the religion and political forums...

1. profile image52

Thanks for the tip. Debating issues of any kind has never been my thing. I've always let people think what they've wanted. I've never attacked anyone on any of their personal beliefs and I guess I've trained myself to not state my opinions publicly either. Maybe one brave day I will..... a day very far into the future. I think I'll get my hubbing feet wet before I delve into that area! smile

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
        Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sounds like a good plan.....

I was lying btw...I'm neck deep in all of them there political... well...mostly in the religious forum 'discussions'.

big_smile

Have Fun!!

8. Faybe Bay profile image64

Yeah, it's just not a great idea to argue, at least not if you plan on taking it to heart. Picture a family reunion, you don't know all of your relatives, but you are having a good old time. Then someone drags a skeleton out of the family closet, and you just know... I ain't touching that one, so you talk to someone else, about something else.

9. Lynda Gary profile image61
    Lynda Garyposted 14 years ago

Welcome, newbie (I'm relatively new, too).

Broke college kid wanting to make money? Hmmm.  You'll make more and work less (energy, time) by waiting tables. 

BUT, if you have the time, you'll enjoy the people in the forums for the most part -- LOL -- and you'll improve your writing skills by the act of writing.

As for your topics:
    The need to be narrower, in my opinion.  Narrower from the get-go, as well as the actual content.  Just my opinion though.

You can search the "Ideas" section when you reach a blank.  I answer unanswered questions if I'm in the mood to write but don't want to come up with my own topic.

Again, welcome! Hope you enjoy it.

10. Faybe Bay profile image64

Yeah, what she said! The truth is my most active hub had to do with current events, during the Olympics. Once you get your feet wet you will find the right topic that works for you.

Money, I have made $1.50, but I don't know what I am doing. Just winging it here. Yes i want to make money, but it boils down to crawling before you can walk. I have learned a lot. Now I might test my legs a little.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)