Second Run at Hub

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Falsor Wing profile image60
    Falsor Wingposted 14 years ago

I made a hub using only a section of a novel as those who looked at my first hub all said it was too long and didn't really mention anything else. I am wondering if the forum can tell me whether or not this shorter excerpt has some chance of being read and all of the other things that are bound to be terrible with my new hubbage. Any help would be much appreciated.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Modsoldiers-The … of-a-Novel

P.S. a hypothetical parade will be thrown in honor of those who responded to my last noob thread.

P.P.S. why does spellcheck still not recognize noob I thought the OED people wordified noob and 1337 as real person words.

1. darkside profile image67
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not sure if your spellcheck is working.

You've misspelled 'beginning' in your URL.

1. Faybe Bay profile image63
        Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Got it covered, down the thread. I think OP is not happy with me.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

I skimmed some of it, since it is not a genre which attracts me, I did not do a lot of real reading.
    As one hint-- I would say lose the first paragraph (reminds me so much of 'It was a dark and stormy night".) It isn't usually a good  idea to start with a weather report-- cut to the action or the  unique scene.
    Sorry, I can't be of much help here.
    Good luck.

3. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

I read about a third of it.  It seems to be interesting, but is slow moving.  I'm new to writing stories myself, sorry I couldn't help more.  (just started writing my first book length in the past 6 weeks)

4. drej2522 profile image68
    drej2522posted 14 years ago

hey there...It looks like you the beginnings of something solid, however, if I may ask...what are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to promote your book? Or have someone critique your book?

Falsor Wingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm looking mostly for critique, though if you're an editor who has fallen madly in love with it that would be cool too.

5. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

First of all, delete the explanation  on why you're writing it this way. It doesn't look very pro.
    Then ,brake the paragraphs in  capsules and  alternate with pics or drawings from your PC or websites.

About the writing, but this is a personal opinion, you linger too much on descriptions. Action is lost among all those words. You repeat too much' the man' beginning every paragraph.

IMO

1. drej2522 profile image68
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

nodnods...And actually, I don't know if I like the rhythm. Now, it looks like you possess some talent, but the flow seems almost staggered and distracting. Try to avoid adverbs and lighten the load on your adjectives.

Like a professor once told me, "Be confident in your nouns and verbs. If you think they can't stand alone then use stronger words. Don't try to bail them out with those damned 'ly' words!"

6. Faybe Bay profile image63
    Faybe Bayposted 14 years ago

Falsor Wing, If you like I will give you a couple of pointers to really make the whole thing pop. I have experience and actually turned my friend into a first class writer. Thing is I don't know if you are still here. Are you?

I am very still here. really I've never been so here in my life.

Okay, cut the first three paragraphs, don't scrap them, paste them somewhere. Start with "the man" etc. I know how hard it is to lose your words, but cutting those first three starts you where the reader has questions, what is this story about, why is the man letting himself drenched with rain?

Beggining is spelled wrong, it's Beginning.

i see

2. Faybe Bay profile image63

Next really read what you've written, the overcoat, try this:

The filthy, tattered, and over-worn brown overcoat clung to the man's form; it did little to protect him from the elements but did much to indicate his status as homeless

The filthy overcoat was practically useless against this weather, serving no other purpose than to identify him as homeless.

Having done that look at each sentence and try to cut it in half, yet hold the same vision, I wrote my best stuff and then cut it in half three times before my writing teacher was happy with it.

7. drej2522 profile image68

Chants, "Go Faybe, Go Faybe, Go Faybe Go!" big_smile

8. drej2522 profile image68

She's right, Falsor! These days, it is hard to hold people's attention for very long. You need action, something to grab the reader right away.
    More often than not, we (as writers) try to set the mood and carry out the story in the beginning. We think to ourselves, "We need to set the plot in order for the reader to understand."...do away with that thought process. Get the reader's attention and explain later, filling in bits and pieces along the way.

Actually I want to be a proof reader and editor, but can't figure out how to get the job and get paid.

You could always take a chance on a newbie! I think the best way is to get a degree and work for those fancy publishing companies. roll

Yeah, I don't have a degree. I wouldn't be able to charge a newbie. I have a grander scheme than that. I read about people who want ghost writers. I will look for someone that "needs help" because they don't know any better, but want to make a true splash.

Novels are dead. All of the publishing houses are trying to put their costs on the writer.

my poor beloved medium. oh well at least I'm not a poet

Don't be sad! I wrote an article elsewhere, trying to sell it. You inspired me to be... So I wrote about my writing teacher! She was brilliant. I wouldn't even be a writer if it wasn't for her, and they canned my story. no pay sad

who is they?

Seed.com

You pick an article, write it and submit, if they buy it you get paid.

2. drej2522 profile image68

yeah...hateful it is...hateful

But it doesn't have to be. Look at Julie and Julia. She got this blog going, then they approached her with the book deal, approached her with the movie deal. She's apprenticing to be a butcher now and wrote a second novel called "Cleaving" lol

Not a joke, all true.

hmm, they have an interesting story...I just read a mini-summary of their success...not too shabby!

The movie is excellent! I own it YAY! Got it for Christmas, actually wouldn't even be here without it. My inspiration. I haven't set up my blog really, well I did, but lost it for two weeks! big_smile

I started a new one, but I must go back to it, got sidetracked with the web site thing.

9. Falsor Wing profile image60
    Falsor Wingposted 14 years ago

I fixed the spelling error though the url is permanent. an editor I am not (this is a problem)

btw Faybe OP is happy with everyone.

Sorry. I thought I upset you with the post about novels being dead. I have news for you. My son found it actually.

If you get a large following they will want to publish you. Look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruhpOtZvIfs

2. Faybe Bay profile image63

Hey you had two! What happened to the other hub? You don't have to unpublish. The more hubs you publish the more juice you get!

I was convinced by another helpful hubber that posting an entire novel would get my ideas stolen. Yay, I wrote something that might be worth stealing.

Has anyone else noticed that it's very easy to aliterate with the word hub? aliteration makes me happy.

10. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

I think you need a site like fictionfactor.com to help you with this honestly. You are in the initial stages of writing a novel not article writing and that site is more conducive to what you are looking for in terms of writing novels. You can ask questions etc there to help gain knowledge to complete your novel. There is even a section where you can ask for critiques of your novel as it is in progress that is under lock and key (password protected) while you are working through it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)