Disfunctional social habits, for example: Idle Threats

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)
  1. IntimatEvolution profile image69
    IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years ago

Critical Philosophy.  Wikipedia says, "The critical philosophy movement sees the primary task of philosophy  as criticism  rather than justification of knowledge.

Immanuel Kant, looked at the possibilities of knowledge. As I understand it, in critical philosophy or in critical theory, one does not looked to facts for justifying reasoning, making something true or not.  Rather, to measure knowledge or worth, is done by weighing it against certain variables known as criticism. Variables such as "ought," "should have," "what if..." If the knowledge presented measured up- then it was consider truth, knowledgeable or factual.  Basically the theory regarding truth and knowledge, was weighed by how well that fact withstood criticism.  If it could withstand strong criticism, then it's worth was consider a means. This type of thinking was developed primarily around the 18th century.  However, I think it is more like a basic instinct, we as individuals are born with.  Therefore that brings me to my questions.

Is this why people sometimes behave badly?  Is it because they figure they can make their way the right way, through idle threats and bullying?  Is that the secret behind the scare of "Obamanation," subjects concerning religion, or in politics in general?

Also- aggressive behavior like bullying, is viewed as a developmental disorder.  Such as a person bullying and threatening people, being a person with little self worth and low self esteem.  So my question is, do you continue to indulge this bad behavior or pity the person for being dysfunctional?  Or do we take a philosophical approach to dealing with this kind of behavior?  Shall we begin to 'chalk up' bad behavior to someone trained in "Critical Theory or Philosophy." 
    Because lately it appears, that aggressive behavior is more instrumental these days to tearing down facts, and disrupting theories. 

Anyone else see seeing a connection there?

1. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually studies have shown that bullies have high levels of self-esteem.

Human behavior has always been like this, it's our nature. Our arguments have almost always been like that too.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image69
        IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I tend to think that debates in years past had a more civilized tone to them.  This old/now new ideololgy of turning facts against themselves, by shouting the loudest or making the most threats, is a different sort of debating nature.  A nature that seems to evolutionary from its design. I'm curious as to why it is acceptable.

1. profile image0
          LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

People usually just accept things that have been around for long periods of time.

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln– … es_of_1858

These debates were pretty bad.

2. Shadesbreath profile image76
      Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't see the connection.  Bullying is typically associated with low self esteem (causes being numerous). 

Kant's theories, and critical theory in general, have to do with how we know things.  It has a lot to do with what the justification for the "knowledge" is.  Some of that is based on assumptions/knowledge preceding the idea or new knowledge being examined. Some of it is in regards to the approach with which knowledge is gained (theoretical/logical or through sensory experience).

I would go on, but I'm sure people would be annoyed and call me names for it, so I'll stop there.  But, in my opinion, there is no connection between the first part of your post and the behaviors you are speaking of.

2. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago

LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!  Haven't y'all been listening to O'Reilly (you don't have to watch him, that would be way too much to ask) on Fox News?  He really gets it on, don't he!  Man, that fella just waiting to call someone a "pinhead"  and all that good stuff.  Course, I know that's not philosophy or political theory even, what he does.  Sure makes a lot of money, that one. 

The age of capitalism!  is it dead yet, mommy?

knock knock

WHO'S THERE?

Interrupting Cow?

W    mooo!    who?

3. wingedcentaur profile image65
    wingedcentaurposted 13 years ago

IntimatEvolution,

This is an interesting question. I was recently thinking about something like this. Let me start by saying, I think bullies are people who don't know they're alive unless they are involved in conflict of some kind. They are afraid they have nothing to give society except violence, but this is not true.

As you know, some people think of the United States as an international bully - I would say a similar reason guides U.S. international behavior. I would reccommend to you an excellent documentary film by Adam Curtis on the BBC called The Power of Nightmares - which is available for free viewing, in full, online.

If there is a specific bully you have in mind, and if he is a child - I would reccommend the gentle approach of carefully analyzing and reporting to him just exactly those gifts he has to offer society besides violence. He clearly has no idea and is suffering inside for it.

wingedcentaur

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)