What is the source of Buddha making prophecy of MAITREYA?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (59 posts)
  1. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 14 years ago

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/reply/941680

Hi friends

As our friend Enlydia Listener has mentioned; what is the source of Buddha making prophecy of MAITREYA?
    Anybody may please make us wise with explaining it.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. profile image0
      crmhaskeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This claim is false, nowhere in the Tipitaka (in its original Pali) is the passage that was claimed to prophesize the coming of Jesus mentioned.  Any Buddhist scholar will agree.  The claim was made of an English translation of the Tipitaka, which was obviously tampered with for the following reasons:

1. The style in the claimed passage is different of the style of the entire Tipitaka

2. Nowhere in the Tipitaka is Buddha referred to as "the Buddha," but in this Jesus prophesying passage, it was mentioned more than once

3. There are no equivalent words in Pali for words such as sin or burnt offering as these were not practice in India during the Buddha's time yet these words exist in the claimed Jesus prophesying passage

4. The claimed passage makes mention of prayer which is not practiced in Buddhism

The conclusion drawn by every Pali and Buddhist scholar I've ever read agrees that this false

1. profile image52
        paarsurreyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend crmhaske

I did not have the opportunity to read Tipitaka. My interest in a book is only:

1.    If it is authored by the Creator- God Allah YHWH (of course any good name of the Creator in any human language) or

2.    Written by a truthful Messenger Prophet of the Creator; belonging to any nation of the world.

3.    Dictated to an authorized person by the Prophet Messenger himself.

4.    Written by any person authorized explicitly by a Prophet Messenger.

How would you describe “Tipitaka” to which category of the above it pertains?

Thanks

1. profile image0

Then you must not read very much.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to explain a book to you that you refuse to read.

1. profile image52

Hi friend crmhaske

I don't refuse to read a book; please don't get me wrong; I have expressed my priority of interest only. When somebody presented me a Catholic Bible; I thanked him and started reading it with great interest and I was almost reading it whenver I found some time; my famil thought perhaps I have become a Christian; I finished reading it in almost three years.

I just want to know as to what kind of book it is. If it is only a book of wisdom?

Thanks

1. profile image0

The Tipitaka is more popularly known as the Pali Canon.  It is in the Pali language (though there are English translated), and is the oldest surviving Buddhist Canon.  It is widely accepted by Theravada Buddhists to be the truest to Buddha's teachings.  As Buddha is not a divine being, nor do Theravada Buddhists believe him to be one, it is a book of wisdom.

1. profile image52

Hi friend crmhaske

So what was the source of Buddha's wisdom?

Are the words of the book; exactly spoken by Buddha?

If yes; how it has come down to us secured from the interference of people other than Buddha?

Sorry for the questions; I have found a first Buddhist who is so expressive; others don't reply or very slow to respond. I once wanted to become member of a Buddhist discussion forum situated in Africa maybe in Kenya belonging to a very learned  Buddhist scholar there, I forget his name. They refused to register me as a member.

Thanks

1. profile image0

I'll be honest paarsurrey, you don't always appear to be so willing to learn, but instead are most interested in touting what you demand is true.  If you are honestly will to learn, I am happy to enlighten you about Buddhism.

1. profile image52

I am already learning; not Buddhism; but truth in things with reason; not blindly. If you or anybody else have got the truth; you are welcome to present. I am a good listener.

Thanks

2. profile image52
                    paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend crmhaske

I am interested in Buddha; not so in Buddhism. Please enlighten me with the Revelation Buddha got or what he wrote himself. If Buddha knew reading and writing; why the Buddhists could not preserve or secure his writings? I think it is certainly failing of the Buddhists; and not of the Buddha.

Thanks

2. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Buddha is considered as a Vishnu AVatar like Rama, Krishna ,Jesus and now he will appear again as Maetriya.
      He will be born into a Brahmin family will write and unite the religions.

1. profile image0

The Buddha is many different things to many different people depending on where you are coming from with your views.  Many Hindu's do indeed believe that he was a Vishnu avatar.

As a Buddhist that does not believe in personal Gods, Buddha was a person and nothing more.  Today he, and his teachings, act as a spiritual guide.  This view is shared by all Theravada Buddhists.

I'd like to make a note that Buddha believed that once a Arhat achieved enlightenment, they no longer continued to exist as a separate entity, and he denied the Indian caste system and the Brahmin authority.  In that sense, it is impossible for Buddha to be born again as anything, he no longer is.

"But what about the Arhat, the holy one who has extinguished all such desire; does such a one continue to exist?  When a wandering ascetic put this question, the Buddha siad:

"The word reborn does not apply to him"
        "Then is he not reborn?"
        "The term not-reborn doe not apply to him"
        "To each and all of my questions, Gotama, you ahve replied in the negative.  I am at a loss and bewildered."
        "You ought to be at a loss and bewildered, Vaccha.  For this doctrine is profound, recondite, hard to comprehend, rare, excellent, beyond dialectic, subtle, only to be understood by the wise.  Let me therefore question you.  If there were a fire blazing in front of you, would you know it?"
        "Yes, Gotama."
        "If the fire went out, would you know it had gone out?"
        "Yes."
        "If now you were asked in what direction the fire had gone, whether to east, west, north, or south, could you give me an answer?"
        "The question is not rightly put, Gotama."

Whereupon the Buddha brought the discussion to a close by pointing out that "in just the same way" the ascetic had not rightly put his questions.  "Feelings, perceptions, forces, consciousness - everything by which the Arhat might be denoted has passed away for him.  Profound, measureless, unfathomable, is the Arhat even as the mighty ocean; reborn does not apploy to him nor not-reborn, nor any combination of such terms"

1. mohitmisra profile image59

Buddha stands both for the person as well as the supreme state of oneness with god.

True that an enlightened one breaks the cycle of birth and death  but the avatar of Vishnu keeps appearing when the world is in a mess to correct the situation.This is when the Buddha will volantarily return.

1. profile image0

This is where we are at an impasse, I respect your belief, but do not share it.

For me Buddha is not, and never was a God, nor is he returning.  As a separate entity he no longer exists, there is nothing of Buddha to return.

However, I just had a thought.  If you use Buddha as a metaphor, and do not insist the same Buddha that existed before is returning then I might possibly offer a parallel.  Perhaps, some day in the future, when we are once again on the brink of destroying entirely our own kind, another equally intelligent and empathic person will realize truths about human nature, and once again save us from ourselves.  I will give you that this future person could be said to be Buddha-like, but that is where my concurrence ends.  That future person is not Gotama Buddha himself, for Gotama is gone forever - though the essence of who he was can live on in the people he inspired.

I like the way you write. According to Hindu philosophy Vishnu manifests in various forms from time to time to correct the situation.
              The essence being the same the form varies.
              Buddha, Rama, Jesus ,Krishna were all condidered as Vishnu Avatars.

Buddha gained enlightenment or merged with the Light the source and understood his essence to be god the Light.

1. profile image0

Thank you smile, I like that we've been able to have this conversation without getting angry at each other lol

Ok, now we are on the same page!  It would not be Buddha that would be returning, it would be Vishnu as man!  I can't argue with that.  As I don't believe in gods or Gods I don't see it as such, but I understand what you are staying now smile

Thank you ,its been a pleasure  smile

2. profile image52

Hi friends

Buddha in fact has returned in the symbolic form of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1835-1908- the Promised Messiah Imam Mahdi.

Thanks

1. andromida profile image56
              andromidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps, and only a single person of the world knows about it-paarsurrey smile

1. profile image52

Hi friend andromida

First it always a single man. When the Creator- God Allah YHWH told Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1835-1908; then he was alone; and he needed noone else axcept the Creator who told him. Now in millions.

Thanks

2. profile image52

Hi friend mohitmisra

Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1835-1908 has written more than eighty books; regarding uniting the religions please read his book "Message of Peace": http://www.alislam.org/library/books/Me … -Peace.pdf

Thanks

A messenger no doubt but the prophet is expected now in the beginning of the age of Aquarius. smile

1. profile image52

Please elaborat it further for me.

Thanks

This is supposedly the end of Kali Yuga and the prophet will appear now and herald in the New Age of truth .

Then again the number of books one writes is not very important.

Muhammad was instrumental in putting one book the Holy Quran together.

Sage Vyasa the Holy Bhagwat Gita

Valmiki the Holy Ramayana.

A quality like the above masterpieces takes more energy than many other books put together.

1. profile image52

Hi friend mohitmisra

I agree with you. I read Gita; I was overwhelmed by it. I love Krishna as I love Zoroaster, Buddha and Socrates.

Thanks

Nice approach towards truth. smile

1. profile image52

Thanks and regards

3. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It never happened.

2. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

Dearest Paarsurrey

The other day you shared with us a link concerning the supposed life of Jesus in India.

I invite you to return to that link.  Go in particular to the Buddhist section of that SAME exact site: http://www.harisingh.com/newsBuddhism.htm

There you will find an embedded link on the "Siddhartha Gautama".  When you click that link, you will find it is written that "at the age of twenty-nine, he left his kingdom and newborn son to lead an ascetic life and determine a way to relieve universal suffering."

This is from a website source given to us by none other than yourself, just the other day, so I am sure it is credible in your eyes.

Glad I could share this knowledge with you!

1. profile image0

Thank you!  It didn't occur to me to bounce his own link back at him.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)