- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Computer & Video Games»
- Video Game Consoles»
- Microsoft Consoles
Buy Kinect: Microsoft's Answer to Motion Control
Since 2009 Microsoft have been talking about and showing off one of their latest products and their first real attempt at motion control. Previously known as Natal or even Project Natal the idea is to provide something a little different from everyone else. Yes I am sure they wer encouraged by the Nintendo Wii's success but this is actually quite different - not completely but it is different. You could say it is Microsoft's answer to motion control.
In my opinion Kinect will be better than the Wii. Kinect is not instead of controllers, it is to complement them and give the Xbox 360 the best control system around. While there are going to be titles designed just for Kinect there are still going to be core gaming titles like Halo Reach for the Xbox 360. Kinect in most games though will be an option and the idea is to give a variety of games and get the most out of the Xbox 360.
The beauty of it is as well if you have not already got an Xbox 360 you can get the amazing new Xbox 360 "Slim" 250GB which is slimmer, has built in wifi, a massive 250GB hard drive, is whisper quiet, looks beautiful and is the same price as the Xbox 360 Elite. With that and Kinect you could not have joined with the best game console at a better time!
I believe Microsoft can make this work because:
- They have a better system which can provide better graphics.
- They can use Kinect with Xbox Live - what better combination you could play against your friends.
- It is different - Kinect tracks your full body movement in 3D, has an amazing voice recognition system that recognizes and understands you and will be compatible with the best gaming console!
- The potential is fantastic - imagine some of the games that will come out - anything is possible.
- Although you may think it seems expensive it is a much better choice than a Wii due to the fantastic games the Xbox 360 already has, the potential and the pricing is actually very good. Although the starter kit for the move is $100 and Kinect is roughly $150 - that is it for 4 players and maybe even more - the move will cost at least an extra $25 per controller!
- Everyone can use it!
- Video chat - talk to your friends with video chat
- Cool navigation of menus - just wave and you sign in
- You get a couple of free games with it!
- If you get the 250GB new and much improved Xbox 360 and Kinect you will have the best game console combination possible!
You are the Controller
With Kinect you are the controller - Kinect's sensor can recognize body movement and your face and listen and understand your voice. The potential is amazing - you may be able to in a few years play games just with your voice if you want! Or you will be able to listen to music on Last.fm by just saying search for pop music! Or you will be able to take part in a football match online where everyone is running around in their living room!
Project Natal Announcement
Free Games That Come With Kinect
You do actually get a couple of free games with Kinect - however don't expect much from them but still they should be interesting and keep you entertained for a few hours.
Ricochet - A Breakout style game in which your whole body is used to bounce balls at blocks. A one or two player experience. Sounds reasonably fun.
Paint Party - Make motions to splash or draw with paint onto walls. You can choose colours using speech recognition and pose to make stencils. Does not sound very good admittedly - still it is free!
Milo and Kate - Interact with a young child either Milo or Milly and his/her dog Kate. This was shown at E3 in 2009 and looked a pretty interesting idea. This is a full game. Should be worth trying out at least and may turn out to be very good. UPDATE Apparently this does not come with Kinect and is only a tech demo!
Kinect Games and Kinect
Microsoft have announced Kinect will launch with at least 15 titles and many major developers have already shown support in Kinect which shows it must at least have potential!
The best games that have already been announced:
- Kinect Sports - This is completely different from Wii Sports. OK I admit it - it is not. However it is a little different. There seems to be a little more crowd interaction and there are some different events. It looks like it will be quite fun to be honest! Click the link to find out more.
- Joy Ride - Looks pretty fun actually. It looks like you lean to drift into corners and whilst in the air leaning will pull off some insane stunts.
- Kinectimals - One for the kids. A young child would love it but that is it. You get to play with around 40 different animals like tigers and they do look kind of cute but if you are a man I am afraid you can't play this!
- Dance Central - This has received lots of positive comments already and is made by Harmonix who made the excellent Rock Band. If you like dancing this looks like a fantastic title and even if you don't it is worth looking at.
- Star Wars Title - This looks pretty cool although not much is known about it yet. But simply put you can look forward to using the force and pretending your Darth Vader. And of course having light saber fights! Looks like one for the core gamers!
- Kinect Adventures - Includes a river raft time trial and an obstacle course. Up to four players. Looks really good fun especially the raft part.
Full list of Kinect launch titles:
- Adrenalin Misfits - Looks like a fun extreme sports game
- Dance Central - see above and link
- Dance Masters - dancing game
- Deca Sports Freedom - sports game
- EA Sports Active 2 - fitness game
- Game Party In Motion
- Kinect Adventures - see link
- Kinect Joy Ride - see above
- Kinect Sports - see above and link
- Kinectimals - see above
- Michael Jackson the Game - dancing game
- Motion Sports - sports game
- Sonic Free Riders
- The Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout - fitness game
- Your Shape: Fitness Evolved - fitness game
- Zumba Party - Fitness Game