jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

This question is for poker players. I know almost nothing of the game, but tell

1. wingedcentaur profile image82
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

This question is for poker players. I know almost nothing of the game, but tell me: how...

important would you say one's ability to "bluff" is relative to the cards you actually have in your hand? Furthermore, do you see any similarity between poker and the stock market (as distinguished from the bond market)?

2. simeonvisser profile image84
    simeonvisserposted 7 years ago

Poker is a mental game: cards play an important role but it's often more important what the other people think about your cards. If you can make them think, by your playing style and other actions at the table, that you have good cards and they believe you, then you can trick them into playing while you have really bad cards in reality.

If your image at the table is that you are playing rather conservatively and all of a sudden you're making a big bet then that can be suspicious: what is going on here? Is it a bluff or do you really have good cards? You will leave the others guessing. It's not always about bluffing because it can also work the other way: if you have good cards you may want everyone to think that your cards are bad, if that suits the situation.

3. LeisureLife profile image73
    LeisureLifeposted 7 years ago

Don't play the cards, play the man. And it would also be beneficial to learn the rules of the game:

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Rules-of-No … xas-Holdem

4. crankalicious profile image94
    crankaliciousposted 6 years ago

Your ability to bluff is less important than your ability to read people.

5. NotPC profile image58
    NotPCposted 5 years ago

Great Question! Bluffing is actually a very important part of the game! If done successfully it can give you a huge advantage over your opponents. I briefly cover bluffing and how to make an effective bluff in my new poker guide.

Feel free to take a look:

http://notpc.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-pl … of-winning