jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you have any expensive hobbies? And how do you cut back/save in that hobby?

1. Turtlewoman profile image95
    Turtlewomanposted 6 years ago

Do you have any expensive hobbies? And how do you cut back/save in that hobby?

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
    DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago

My husband races radio controlled model cars.  It is a very expensive hobby.  Really, the only way to  cut back or save is to be on the lookout for used items at swap meets or in classified ads. Talking with others in the hobby and exchanging tips, or trading items is another way saving.

3. msorensson profile image73
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

Expensive..yes..writing is mine..it takes time, thought, and discipline to exercise it..I have cut back completely since I do not have the time..

4. Express10 profile image89
    Express10posted 6 years ago

I am a figure skater. It is not uncommon for competitive skaters to spend thousands, each year in the sport. At the higher end, it can easily be between $25,000 and $30,000 a year or more. The cost of coaching and ice time generally take up the most of the expenses until the skater starts traveling to and from competitions. If a skater is spending just 10 hours a week skating freestyle practice sessions, they are likely spending around $5,000 or more on ice time alone. The most serious skaters typically spend at least 3 or four hours on the ice 5 or 6 times a week. Ice fee don't account for gasoline, coaching, skates, off-ice training such as ballet, stretching, or gymnastics. Nor does this include fees for dresses, skates which typically cost $800 - $1,500 (once or twice a year), etc.

There have been times where I simply skated fewer hours on freestyle sessions and skated more on public sessions. When that is not possible (crowding, people pestering me for FREE lessons that I must pay $60 hourly for or scheduling), I work out and practice off ice or work on stretching to stay flexible. I love the feeling I get when I'm jumping or spinning on the ice and can get it no where else. I swear that when I do save enough money, I am building a rink on my property.

5. Michael J Rapp profile image60
    Michael J Rappposted 6 years ago

I am a musician, so I've spent a lot of money over the years buying guitars and other gear. I cut back on that by getting married. :-)

Seriously, I just budget myself now. And getting married and buying a house has a lot to do with the reason why. Priorities.

6. GreatToysMall profile image66
    GreatToysMallposted 6 years ago

My hobby of collecting toys has always been a burden to my wallet. Well, maybe my wallet has always been a burden to my collecting. I make it work, though, because I've turned it into a business. I suppose if you have any hobby and you're spending "too" much, you should look at a way of recovering at least some of the cost.

working