jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Is reading a dying art?

1. Several Ninjas profile image79
    Several Ninjasposted 6 years ago

Is reading a dying art?

Ever since radio became a public medium- the art of reading began to tumble from the important place it once held in human consciousness. The basis of education was the three R's- writing and reading the first two. Has reading become a dying art?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

I hope not because reading is why a site like this is here. No point writing if no one is reading.

3. wanderingoldman profile image59
    wanderingoldmanposted 6 years ago

No, I myself prefer reading to radio, and reading itself is necessary for daily living.

4. Adamowen profile image80
    Adamowenposted 6 years ago

I think it will be if we allow it to be.

5. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

Well, for a few people, reading is indeed a dying art, especially with the proliferation of television and related media.  To others, reading was never really an art- yes, reading to these others are an object waste of time, they prefer watching television and other forms of inane media.  If these people do decide to "read", it is usually a newspaper or a magazine; it is nothing significant like great literature and/or a good historical work!    Then there are the intellectual few who relish reading as a form of relaxation and learning!  Reading will never be a dying art as long as there are intellectual people around!

6. Ironman1992 profile image61
    Ironman1992posted 6 years ago

Yes, reading and writing both have become a dying art. Even on professional tv, I see grammatical errors.

7. FloraBreenRobison profile image57
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

Not at all. Print media  may be dying out, but people continue to read online.

8. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

I wouldn't say that reading and writing are dying, but I would say that they are evolving (possibly in a bad direction). For example, HubPages is a place where people can write without needing to be an author or a journalist. So the pool for writers and readers has grown on the internet, but the downside is that standards for spelling and grammar have been declining significantly. It's kind of like how e-books made it easier to self publish. Just because more people are writing and reading, doesn't mean they're furthering knowledge and language. Similarly, because of SEO, useful knowledge is less about good articles and more about what pushes all the right buttons in a formula that isn't human. So there is definitely a struggle right now between the reputable sources of the past and the overpopulated (and questionable) sources of the present/future. If higher standards can be applied to online writing, I think it will help a lot. Though we all complained about the changes hubpages made in the past to keep up with Google's search parameters, I feel that the changes they made have moved all of us towards writing higher quality articles.