jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why do you think people buy lotto tickets often? Do we really need millions to m

1. Sushma Webber profile image86
    Sushma Webberposted 5 years ago

Why do you think people buy lotto tickets often? Do we really need millions to make us happy?

I have never bought a lotto ticket. And I find it fascinating that whenever there is a big prize to be won, people queue up to buy lotto tickets. Some people even send us lotto tickets as gifts on Christmas.

2. pippap profile image87
    pippapposted 5 years ago

People who regularly buy lottery tickets are under the delusion that a large amount of money can and will buy them a large amount of happiness.  These beliefs are bolstered by the shows they watch on TV.  On television, no one with a lot of money is ever unhappy - they lead charmed, enchanted lives that most of us will never even see, let alone attain.

I don't think money buys happiness.  There have been several shows that reveal the reality of winning big.  Approx. 95% of those who won big discovered that it didn't make them happy, wealthy or wise.  And, they had spent all their new-found wealth, to boot.  In fact, most of them were better off financially and emotionally before the big win.

3. profile image0
    oceansiderposted 5 years ago

I don't understand it either, because it's such a waste of money.  I do not buy them either and I know I won't have the desire to buy them in the future.

4. Sherry Hewins profile image95
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

Most of the people I know who by lotto tickets on a regular basis can't really afford it and kind of see it as their only hope for a better life. If you're living in poverty it's hard to see how having a lot of money won't make your life better.

working