jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Is there a universal flaw that exists in all video game trilogies?

1. AM Hanson profile image77
    AM Hansonposted 5 years ago

Is there a universal flaw that exists in all video game trilogies?

Often, in game trilogies, I find that I always enjoy the same entries in the different series.  Nearly always, I like the first game the most, then the third game, and the second game is the one I enjoy the least.  This is true in series like Mass Effect, Fable, The Elder Scrolls (Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim), and others.  There has only been one series that I've played (the Dungeon Siege series, where the numbers equal how I feel about them) that hasn't fallen into this model.  So my question is: Is this just me, or do you find this happening in your gaming experience as well?

2. JohnGreasyGamer profile image83
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 5 years ago

It's not just you, but it's not exactly some otherworldly force or supernatural presence. I find that Oblivion was my favourite out of (what you called a trilogy?) your three choices, though I might like Arena more.... who knows. I also much prefered Mass Effect 2 to the first or third game, mostly because it balances stale dialogue choices and explosive combat.

For me, it has to be DooM and Bioshock though - DooM is my founding father in terms of FPS games, and Bioshock is the best out of what is going to be the trilogy.

3. MrsBlunder profile image61
    MrsBlunderposted 5 years ago

It's not just you at all; although, I can't see how anyone could like Fable III more than the other two games. I can't stand to play Oblivion at all, but I loved Morrowind and Skyrim.

1. JohnGreasyGamer profile image83
      JohnGreasyGamerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Totally agreed on Fable 3 there. I even sat for around 20 minutes watching TheAngryJoeShow's "Top 32 reasons why Fable III sucks". ^^

2. MrsBlunder profile image61
      MrsBlunderposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I may go watch that. I was nearly through my first playthrough when it perma-glitched and I had to start over.

4. TNT Husky profile image72
    TNT Huskyposted 4 years ago

I think it's more a matter of personal preference, but I doubt you're the only one. I actually prefer the second game in a trilogy the most. but my most active game sessions usually consist of classics, and more dated games such as the metroid Prime trilogy (liked prime/loved 2/3 is okay, but least out of the three), the first three crash and spyro games(same pattern), and some others. Perhaps it's a generational trend? Probably not, but you're definitely not the only who recognizes a pattern like this.

working