What is your favorite role playing game of all time?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 62 discussions (116 posts)
  1. epearson profile image60
    epearsonposted 13 years ago

I really would like to know which video game, but table top games are welcomed too.

1. bane.hellister profile image61
      bane.hellisterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Never could pick one in particular until I played Demons Souls. Hands down best I have played

epearsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Demons Souls.  I never heard of that one.  I will have to check it out.

2. David 470 profile image82
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Man this is a hard answer...I started with Final Fantasy, but in the past years have played a lot more.

My faves are FF,Mass Effect, and Elder Scrolls(only played oblivion)

I would have to say Oblivion, but mass effect is close.

Oblivion has so much to do on it and its such a relaxing game. A lot of quests and stuff. I just wish your character actually talked, but its not that type of RPG.

1. warchild75 profile image65
        warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah id have to agree with you,elder scrolls oblivion was fantastic!!,i also like the fable series and fallout series (new fallout is only 2 weeks away)

2. epearson profile image60

I like Oblivion, but I really loved Morrowind.  The next Elder Scolls is going to be sick!  Skyrim I believe is the name.

3. danatheteacher profile image69
      danatheteacherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No contest: Oblivion is my fav

Solid choice.

4. lady_love158 profile image61
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh! I thought this was going to be naughty! hehe

Ha!  I guess I didn't ask the question correctly.  Now I see how that could be interpreted that way.

5. profile image0
      Surabhi Kauraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmm... favourite video game would be Mario. I used to play tongue
      Otherwise, indoor game would be Chess! big_smile

6. Caramus profile image64
      Caramusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would have to say that my favorite role-playing games are.
      Console: Phantasy Star on the Sega Genesis
      PC: Horizons (Beta)
      Pen & Paper: AD&D

AD&D, classic.  I remember being so addicted me and my friends tried to play the game in middle school during lunch.  LOL!  Yeah, that didn't work out of too well.

1. classicalgeek profile image82
          classicalgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I  almost flunked out of graduate school playing D&D 1st edition. We had a 24/7 game going (three game masters and three games, and whoever was awake and not in class was playing). I used to fall asleep on the sofa, which after 2 weeks was christened "The Sofa of Sleepiness" until the legs broke (not my fault), after which it was known as "The Dwarven Sofa of Sleepiness."

7. chasemillis profile image67
      chasemillisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

definitely every game that has to do with Mario or Donkey Kong - they have games down to an art

8. nashguy profile image57
      nashguyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

the entier HALF LIFE SERIES

9. orandze profile image71
      orandzeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

RPG: Chrono Trigger
      MMORPG: Dark Age of Camelot
      Tabletop: DnD 4.0

10. bethperry profile image84
      bethperryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I always liked the classic Dungeons & Dragons. I had a nice run with a female elf/mage back in the day smile

11. AM Hanson profile image67
      AM Hansonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

For the feel/mechanics of the game: Shadowrun Returns on PC
      For the experience: Arcanum.

2. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 13 years ago

I would have to say Vampire Bloodlines

1. David 470 profile image82

My computer can not handle that game, but that would prob be one of my faves if I could play it.

I never heard of this one.  I just Googled it.  It looks interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  In the "something new I learned today bucket."

3. TankTom profile image60
    TankTomposted 13 years ago

Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue. All pretty epic.

1. David 470 profile image82

Shenmue was awesome. Never got to play the second one though...

I played Grandia 2 and Skies, both are great games.  Do you still have your Dreamcast?

4. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

D&D, paper and pencil version.  Imaginary dragons, real friends.

1. livewithrichard profile image74
      livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'll second that!

Very good pick!

5. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Doctor and Patient

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL, I was torn between calling your response excellent and make a proctologist/gerbil vendor joke.

Ha!  Should have put video game in the question.

3. uncorrectedvision profile image61
      uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like Jailor/prisoner but my absolute favorite of all time and closest to my life and heart was Teacher/student.

4. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol

6. profile image0
    Rookie70posted 13 years ago

chess

7. EatLovePray profile image61
    EatLovePrayposted 13 years ago

Mario!!!! big_smile I wish I still had that game..

8. Arthur Fontes profile image73
    Arthur Fontesposted 13 years ago

Ultima Online

I showed that game to my son and he didn't like it because of the graphics.  Kids today.  Awesome game there.

9. FitnezzJim profile image78
    FitnezzJimposted 13 years ago

Gemstone IV, an on-line text-based role-playing game that is so long-stayed and immersive that it almost doesn't seem adequate to call it a game.

Never heard of it.  Time to Google it.

10. evvy_09 profile image62
    evvy_09posted 13 years ago

Elder Scrolls: Morrowwind.

My number one pick!

11. Balmung profile image59
    Balmungposted 13 years ago

I prefer online games to single player ones. I liked final fantasy, and I was in the middle of Dragon dage origins when my computer broke (when I say middle, I mean about 2 hours into it). Online I like Guild Wars. Most games dont have a story to them, and if they do then the game play isn't very good, but Guild Wars had a good story and good game play. Ive never played WoW or Aion. Can't wait for GW2 though. smile
    Table top games would have to be chess. How it's roleplaying I have no idea. Maybe roleplay that your an alien from Mars with a cold? Cough on your opponent until they give up.......

I love guild wars.  I am patiently waiting for GW2.  I guess I see how chess is role playing.  You are playing the kingdom and all of the roles within it.  That's old school role playing.smile

12. profile image52
    Torgatposted 13 years ago

I played a lot of online games. But since a year or so I play warofdragons.com which is a multiplayer browser based rpg and free as well. You got two races their fighting each other and ofc lots of skills and professions to learn and make money with it. I am with the Magmars and they got great clan communities and stuff like events and just recently a huge update witch enlarged the game even more. Right now I wouldn't play any other game. smile

I think I remember hearing about this game.  Time to Google it.

13. Dale Nelson profile image38
    Dale Nelsonposted 13 years ago

I always go back to Crash Bandicoot.

14. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

I like 'House', especially now that I am really the Mommy, and my mom isn't going to come tell me game over, time to clean up.  At present, I think I have at least 15 more years of this game.

15. Earl S. Wynn profile image77
    Earl S. Wynnposted 13 years ago

Videogame-wise, it's a toss up between the various Final Fantasy games (VIII, X, XII) and this old gem on NES called Drakkhen. Pen and paper-wise, 2nd ed AD&D is awesome, but Cortex is more fun.

16. profile image0
    Lweinbergposted 13 years ago

Dungeons and Dragons 2E hands down!

*Nods*

17. Ninjah Kitten profile image59
    Ninjah Kittenposted 13 years ago

My favorites would have to be Final Fantasy, Xenosaga, and Dot.Hack

1. profile image0
      Lweinbergposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Never got into Final Fantasy, is it anything like Phantasy Star? THAT was an awesome game lol

1. Ninjah Kitten profile image59
        Ninjah Kittenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't know. I've never played Phantasy Star to be honest.

1. Ninjah Kitten profile image59
          Ninjah Kittenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well I decided to try Phantasy Star out lol. My sis and I decided we wanted to play Phantasy Star as well as a couple others..lol.
          I found it to be more like Xenosaga than Final Fantasy.  Well so far anyway, I'm still in the beginning.

Played all three.  Great games there.

18. lindajot profile image67
    lindajotposted 13 years ago

I still love WOW

19. Jeff Berndt profile image72
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

I could never get into the MMORPGs. They start out fun, and then they become too much like work (and not the fun kind of work where you're doing what you love to do).

On the tabletop, however, my favorite systems have been GURPS, 7th Sea, and West End Games' original Star Wars the Roleplaying Game.

But really, the ruleset is of secondary importance. As long as the rules are internally consistent, the important bit is who is playing, and who is running the game. If you've got a good group, the rules hardly matter at all. I've played roleplaying sessions lasting over five hours where I never rolled any dice at all.

Yes in MMORPGs, grinding can take a lot fun out of the game.  I never played many of the table tops you listed as a kid, probably was playing with Legos at the time.smile

20. profile image0
    Dalyinxposted 13 years ago

I'd have to say the Mass Effect series is my favorite.

I can't wait for ME3.

21. steffer profile image60
    stefferposted 13 years ago

without a doubt the elder scrolls oblivion!

glad there will come a new elder scrolls game in 2011. (the elder scrolls skyrim)

Oblivion was a good game.  I didn't enjoy it as much as I could.  I abused alchemy so much in that game.

22. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

From a PC gaming point of view I would have to recommend Planescape: Torment, one of the first role play games to have you make moral decisions for your playing character, which would also have consequences later in the game.

Table top gaming perspective, D&D 2E.

23. truebluewriter profile image60
    truebluewriterposted 13 years ago

I would have to say Neverwinter nights the first one and all its expansions. 2nd one was ok too...

Then theres oblivion and elder scrolls, but i like the above games better..

then there's my current addiction world of warcraft hehe

1. truebluewriter profile image60
      truebluewriterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh and dragon age was good too but i haven't finished it yet

I like NWN2 a lot better in then the first.  Probably because I would get over run by mobs a lot in the original.  Probably just bad gameplay on my part.

24. Tahamtan profile image56
    Tahamtanposted 13 years ago

I would choose Fable II or Diablo II. Setting aside my opinion Morrowind and Oblivion are some of the best RPGs of all time.

1. evvy_09 profile image62
      evvy_09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

There's a new elder scrolls coming out next year Skyrim
      big_smile it's gonna be awesome

2. truebluewriter profile image60

oh yeah forgot about diablo... im waiting for diablo 3 too and diablo 2 was awesome...

3. epearson profile image60

Someone finally said my number 2 favorite game of all time.  Diablo 2.  Fable was cool as well.

25. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 13 years ago

I've got this game with my wife where I dress up like myself and act like a jerk. She doesn't like it very much, but I think it's fun.

1. truebluewriter profile image60

lol the concept of role playing must be new to her

you should explain that just because your acting like yourself it doesn't mean that that's who you really are

Ha!  Be careful with that one.  You can't press the reset button with that game.wink

26. moviesposter profile image59
    moviesposterposted 13 years ago

My Favorite are Fallout: New Vegas and Fable III

New Vegas was a great game, but Powder Gangers?!?  You guys couldn't come up with a better name.  Sad.

I heard Fable 3 was good.  I like 2, but never picked up 3.  I think a Call of Duty game had my attention when it was released.

27. Horatio Baccus profile image60
    Horatio Baccusposted 13 years ago

Table top Game: Kult- Modern Horror game out of Europe.  No english editions these days though.

28. Mike Dale profile image61
    Mike Daleposted 13 years ago

I used to like the text based MUD's best. The immersion and roleplay was outstanding.

Graphical, my favorite was Dark Age of Camelot. The RvR was unlike any other, before or since. Running around with 100's of realm mates knocking down enemy castles was a blast!

I've never found a game since that I stuck with more than a month. The PvE leveling grind bores me.

I played Dark Age of Camelot, and liked it.  Yes, grinding can be very boring.

2. classicalgeek profile image82
      classicalgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I met IRL some of the best people that I first met on MUDs! I still log on to one or two every now and again!

29. xboxps3wow profile image40
    xboxps3wowposted 13 years ago

don't really have a favorite, but ff games are very decent

30. BobbiRant profile image61
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

Final Fantasy games, for the most part are fun.  My all time favorite is Resident Evil even though it is basically a survival horror type game, but you get to play a character in them.  They are fast paced and a lot of fun.  Resident Evil 5 is more difficult because unlike zombies in the others, those people are much faster.

Zombie and horror modes tells me one thing.  You can never have enough bullets.  Great games you pointed out.

31. SikAnTwisted profile image61
    SikAnTwistedposted 13 years ago

I have to say I have two.

1: ChronoCross for playstation
    The story of Chrono Cross focuses on a teenage boy named Serge and a theme of parallel worlds. Faced with an alternate reality in which he died as a child, Serge endeavors to discover the truth of the two worlds' divergence. The flashy thief Kid and many other characters assist him in his travels around the tropical archipelago El Nido. Struggling to uncover his past and find the mysterious Frozen Flame, Serge is chiefly challenged by Lynx, a shadowy antagonist working to apprehend him.

2: Lost Odyssey for Xbox360
    A story of a mercenary named kaim who finds himself in a world of war and chaos after waking up with no memory of his past  All he knows is war, until a meteor strikes in the middle of a war he was in. He survives and is taken back to the kingdom from witch he was employed. He then recruits a woman named Seth and a man named Jenson on an epic adventure to figure out the source of the massive meteor and to recover Kaim and Seths lost memory's.

I highly recommend both games and would replay them anytime. I was in the middle of beating Lost Odyssey for the 4th time until my house burnt down and I lost my xbox. But yeah, great games.

32. Fuegan1431 profile image60
    Fuegan1431posted 13 years ago

FFX will always stick with me despite its flaws.  Love that game to death.

33. Christian H. profile image61
    Christian H.posted 13 years ago

Chrono Trigger was definitely my favorite RPG ever.  It had a nigh-perfect storyline, likable characters, and it had an absolutely gorgeous soundtrack.

34. MPChris profile image64
    MPChrisposted 13 years ago

D&D 3.5 Edition. EVE Online. Entropia Universe. Anything dynamic and fun.

35. Pierre Savoie profile image61
    Pierre Savoieposted 13 years ago

In tabletop games, I liked one called STAR FRONTIERS (1982, TSR Inc., later called "STAR FRONTIERS: Alpha Dawn" to distinguish it from supplement games).  The fun was in the science-fiction weapons and the combat which integrated melee, ranged weapons, ground vehicles and aerial vehicles on the same scale.
    Also I liked CYBERPUNK 2020 (R.Talsorian Games, early 90's) which evokes the "cyberpunk" genre:  high-tech meets low morals.

36. DaNoblest profile image60
    DaNoblestposted 13 years ago

Runescape for me. If I spent half the time writing as I did playing that game I would be making thousands a month now.

37. Metalhead92 profile image61
    Metalhead92posted 13 years ago

TES VI: Oblivion. I'm was never a big rpg guy. Oblivion was the first game I played for more then 7 hours a day.

38. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 13 years ago

Summoner was my #1 back in the day but right now I am totally addicted to Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

39. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

my favorite role playing game is when my boyfriend is the cop and he "pulls me over"  lol  and then he "writes me a ticket"  and I have to beg to be "let off"  lol  "just this one time!"

40. chasemillis profile image67
    chasemillisposted 13 years ago

I know this is a little old, but my favorite is definitely a mix between Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country on the Super Nintendo

41. uncorrectedvision profile image61
    uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years ago

I was a very early D & D player.  I got bored.  But when Chaosium Games brought out "The Call of C'Thulhu"  I fell in love.  I played C of C with my brothers for hours - all of us adults by that time.  I actually found myself getting tense as the game unfolded.  What horror from beyond time awaited to drive the sanity from us and leave us writhing in the agony of a gibbering mad man.  It was just a game, or was it?

http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_inf … b85bba5c83

C of C had a different format then D&D, right?

1. uncorrectedvision profile image61
        uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some what. Its biggest difference was the setting.  The first module I ever played was set in 1920s Up-State New York.  A real place, real weapons, not much magic available and some real characters tossed in for good measure.  The next was C'Thulhu by Gaslight.  That one was fun because Sherlock Holmes was one of the available characters.

42. profile image0
    Ghostwolfeposted 12 years ago

For me World of Warcraft and than Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. For a good time and the ability to do as I wish in a game and change the outcome Fable III.

43. tlmcgaa70 profile image60
    tlmcgaa70posted 12 years ago

i used to play runescape. now i play Lord Of The Rings Online. I am a huge fan of Tolkein. so that adds a certain depth to the game. the graphics are awesome. they put a great deal of effort into imitating real things like the northern lights, beautiful sunrises/sets, simple night skies with stars, rainbows and even the rainbow halo you sometimes see around the sun. for scenery, there are some intensely beautiful scenes. there is no end to the quests, plus the main epic quests lets you interact with the LOTR fellowship characters, plus you have instances, raids and skirmishes. you can ride horses and even goats and lore master get pets to fight with. you have the classes, man, elf, dwarf and hobbit...and what each can do...like captain, guardian, lore-master, rune-keeper, burglar, minstrel, champion, warden, and rune-keeper...i think i have remembered them all. each character picks 3 crafts to make up their vocation...for instance, my guardian is an armsman, my crafts are prospector, woodcrafter and weaponsmith. also, you can have more than one character and you can even play a monster against the people. all in all, LOTRO has turned into my all time fav game

44. noxadari profile image62
    noxadariposted 12 years ago

I started out on Final Fantasy, and have played many since.  My favorite of all time would have to be either FF 7 or Morrowind, though that could change depending on how well Skyrim is.  Sadly enough, have had it pre-ordered since they first announced it.

45. noxadari profile image62
    noxadariposted 12 years ago

Oblivion is a good RPG, but personally they just didn't do as good a job as they did with Morrowing.

46. profile image0
    Indigitalposted 12 years ago

Fallout 3. I just love it, over everything else.

47. Watcher07 profile image60
    Watcher07posted 12 years ago

Resurrecting a bit of an old topic, but its a good topic.  My favorite RPG of all time would have to be Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (not to be confused with the upcoming MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic).  The story was incredible, and for its time, the game was immense and very detailed.  As a Bioware fan though, Mass Effect and Dragon Age are also some top RPG's I've played that I would say are easily my #2 and #3 fav's.  For anyone who hasn't played the original Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, download it off steam or whatever you gotta do (I think its like 5 bucks) and play it, its well worth the money and your time.

48. ziad-bb profile image41
    ziad-bbposted 12 years ago

the number 1 game is wwe 2011 and hopefuly soon wwe12

49. Captain Redbeard profile image60
    Captain Redbeardposted 12 years ago

The one my wife and I played about 17 months ago that resulted in my fifth child.......yea, were big gamers lmao lol

50. gamesinlove profile image57
    gamesinloveposted 12 years ago

I'm more of a retro game lady wink
    Secret of Mana and Legend of Mana were amazing.
    Chrono Trigger.
    A lot of Atlus games.
    Recent stuff?
    Dragon Age Origins, Eternal Sonata, and Star Ocean The Last Hope smile
    Infinite Undiscovery is pretty good too.
    I'm very behind on PC rpgs. I'm currently trying to catch up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)