jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Will the Penn State penalty discourage further rule breakers? or cause more cove

1. camaroon profile image61
    camaroonposted 5 years ago

Will the Penn State penalty discourage further rule breakers? or cause more cover-ups?

2. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image84
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 5 years ago

Neither. All the Penn State penalty does is mostly screw people who had nothing to do with what happened. Even one of the Sandusky victims bashed the NCAA sanctions. I wrote a hub about all this nonsense a couple days ago.

1. camaroon profile image61
      camaroonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

the ncaa stated that the reason for the sanction was so that football would never again be placed before the lives of young people. in other words, it was to help Penn state get its priorities straight, not to punish the current players.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Neither. The only thing I agreed with was taking the statue down and taking away Paterno's wins that happened after he knew about what was going on. Punishing the football team and taking away scholorships does nothing good and directs punishment toward the wrong people.

4. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

I absolutely believe it will discourage further rulebreakers. The problem at Penn State wasn't just that there was one guy doing bad stuff, it is also that the school itself didn't have the rules, procedures, and oversight in place to deal with it as it was happening.

The sanctions handed down were quite significant. I would be absolutely STUNNED if every single athletic department in this country doesn't sit down and review and strengthen if necessary their own policies because of this. It is unfortunate for Penn State, because they are being made an example of, but at the same time, I think it was necessary. There is a problem in college athletics. Too many programs have an untouchable status and I have no doubt there are other schools with dark secrets. Student safety and academic integrity must come first. Not Money. Other schools will definitely take note of this and hopefully make sure their own houses are clean.