jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Should the NCAA take scholarships from Penn St?

1. IDONO profile image81
    IDONOposted 5 years ago

Should the NCAA take scholarships from Penn St?

I say, "NO"  The scandal issues are criminal, not sports related. Even bigger is that so many younger kids dreams of playing football at a storied school such as Penn St. would be shattered because of the sick actions of a handful of people that just happened to have ties with the sports program. Let's not add to the list of Sandusky's victims which is already too long, by punishing these young kids for something they had nothing to do with.
         How do you feel?

2. Ralph Deeds profile image63
    Ralph Deedsposted 5 years ago

The NCAA should apply the "death penalty" to Penn State, i.e. total suspension of the football program for one or two years. Big time college athletics is out of control. I agree with Joe Nocera's column here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/17/opini … state.html

3. Angela Kane profile image78
    Angela Kaneposted 5 years ago

I don't think scholarships should be taken away because that only effects the kids trying to go to school, but I do think they should be punished in other ways because of how they handled the scandal.

4. junkseller profile image83
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

I agree with Ralph. I've spent a fair bit of time on two major campuses. Athletics for many is virtually a religion and it becomes somewhat untouchable. It's a problem. I tend to dislike making examples of people, but perhaps that is what it would take to get other schools to clean up their own houses.

5. whonunuwho profile image79
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

No, not for the mistakes of a few, should all be punished.

6. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image83
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 5 years ago

I agree with you, IDONO.

The “death penalty” would be overkill.

The issues in this particular situation are for our criminal courts and civil courts to deal with, not the NCAA. There were only a few people responsible for happened at Penn State. Sandusky will be in prison for life and Paterno is dead. The others could be spending time in prison. At the very least they have been humiliated and their careers are destroyed.

Penn State will be paying millions of dollars to settle the civil suits resulting from this.

It seems to me the punishment will fit the crime, without the NCAA taking some action that will punish those who had nothing to do with it.

7. mrpip profile image61
    mrpipposted 5 years ago

The rules are the rules and other schools have had to live with this same type of punishment even though the infraction were committed by people no longer at those universities. Plus, we need to put all this into perspective. See my hub on this specific topic on putting hte Penn State injunction into perspective!!

1. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image83
      BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What injunction?
      The sanctions pertaining to the scholarships will be ultimately be reversed. That's my prediction. Anyone who is paying attention to what has happened since the sanctions were announced should have a clue about that.

2. mrpip profile image61
      mrpipposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Just read in the papers this week that the university has agreed to accept all sanctions as they hope to simply move on from this entire fiasco!!!!