jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How to help my son develop a video game?

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

How to help my son develop a video game?

My 9 year old is working on developing an interactive board game that he can develop into a video game. Is there a way that someone (me) can help a child go the right direction with this, websites, books, that sort of thing. Are there websites that help  kids who have interests in learning computer codes and such?

2. cfin profile image82
    cfinposted 4 years ago

http://www.codecademy.com/

Free and fantastic.

It's really great that you are encouraging your son, rather than following the masses who would have you believe that computer games are evil and only played by losers or dysfunctional individuals. In all honesty, the computer game industry is not so different to him working as a programmer and is a great start.
    In my mind, in 20 years everyone will play computer "game", as we watch movies now.
    Well done for being interested in your sons interests and well done for encouraging him to do what he loves. I salute you smile

3. kschang profile image90
    kschangposted 4 years ago

Download the free GameMaker: Studio  It's by Yoyogames. Can't link to it for some reason.

It is also available on Steam, I believe. Try the coding, buy capabilities later.

4. Thief12 profile image91
    Thief12posted 4 years ago

Microsoft has a game design software called Kodu Game Labs which runs on Xbox and PC's. It's education-oriented, so it's free for teachers and sorts from the Microsoft Partners in Learning website, but I don't know if anyone can get it free as well.

5. CrescentSkies profile image87
    CrescentSkiesposted 4 years ago

There are plenty of websites that teach coding but my recommendation is to get him in the mindset that he's doing this for fun and will likely never see a penny for it. Some people jump into game design thinking they're going to make all this money and crash/burn when their first game is pretty much a flop that nobody likes.

working