Aloe Vera - Should You Be Eating It?
I've Been Using Aloe Vera All My Life, As Did My Mother
I have believed in the medicinal value of Aloe Vera my whole life. My mother had a big pot of it growing on the back porch ever since I was a child. Whenever I would get a scrape, burn, cut or bee sting, my mom would march me out to the back porch and she would break off a leaf and squeeze the thick end. The gel would ooze out and she would smear it on the injury. Relief was almost immediate.
Needless to say, when I grew up and got a house of my own, I hit my mom up for some sprouts off her plant, so I could grow one of my own. Now my plant is bigger than hers and gets used even more often, especially since I found out that eating the gel from the aloe vera plant is very good for you in more ways than I can even count. I did some research on ingesting this plant in juice, pills or gel form and I found out the benefits are almost too numerous to name. It's good for your cholesterol, your immune system, digestive tract, skin, joints, reducing inflammation, there are even preliminary studies that indicate it may have cancer and tumor fighting properties and may even help us to live longer. Check out my information below, and see for yourself the wonders of Aloe Vera, it's even more beneficial than I thought!
Image Credit: Flickr
What's in Aloe Vera Gel?
All Natural Gel
~ Twenty minerals
~ Twelve vitamins
~ Eighteen amino acids
~ Two hundred active plant compounds with technical names
Aloe vera is antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal, which is why it helps heal injuries.
Health Benefits of Aloe Vera Gel - Internal and Topical
For a list of studies and information on these benefits, simply look them up on Google Scholar
- Aloe vera strengthens the immune systen and destroy and may help destroy cancerous tumors.
- Aloe vera can reduce nflammation of joints and reduce arthritis pain when applied topcially, and when taken internally, it can also significantly reduce other discomforts caused by inflamation
- Aloe vera helps your skin to look and be healthier. Applying raw aloe vera gel directly to your skin or ingesting it as juice, gell or pills, any of these will help your skin to glow with health and look younger.
- Aloe vera has been known to ease the syptoms of ulcers, IBS, Crohn's disease and Celiac disease and other digestive disorders. Some have even said that aloe vera cured them.
- Aloe vera may help diabetics stabilize their blood sugar and lower cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Aloe vera contains a natural immune booster called acemannan. It helps your body fight off infections and disease.
Side Effects, Drug Interactions and Warnings
There are no known side effects or bad drug interactions from aloe vera gel, juice or pills. Since it does, many times, lower blood sugar, diabetics need to keep a close eye on their sugar levels so they don't go too low.
There have not been any studies on children taking aloe vera internally, so it is recommended that kids under 12 don't take it till there is more information.
Aloe Vera has linked to miscarriages in one report, so it it not recommended for anyone that is pregnant or breastfeeding.
Aloe Vera Gel - Mildly Sweet Taste
Made with 100% certified organic aloe vera leaves, this gel is great for making smoothies, or adding to juice. It also is great for topical application to dry skin or neck and face to tighten pores and make skin feel softer.
Organic Aloe Vera Juice - No Preservatives
The first and only USDA certified organic aloe vera juice. This product contains the full range of health benefits while being completely preservative free. Great for drinking or for use in making healthy hair conditioner.
- 2 to 4 ounces of Aloe Vera juice or gel
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 sliced banana
- 3 or 4 cored and peeled strawberries
- 1 cup almond milk or whatever milk you like
- 2 tablespoons of agave or honey (more or less to taste)
- 4 or 5 icecubes
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein (can leave this out if you want)
- fresh cherries
- Put all ingredients, except cherries, in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour in glasses and garnish with a couple cherries on top.
- Image Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/crystalflickr/128001321/sizes/n/in/photostream/
100% Pure Aloe Vera Gel/Juice Freeze-Dried Powder - Highly Concentrated - Ratio 200:1
This package makes 2 liters/ 70 ounces of liquid juice. Make fresh juice every day and never have to worry about your juice or gel spoiling before you can use it all.
Blender Bottle - Perfect for Mixing Single Servings of Juice
This is my favorite blender bottle. If you want to make fresh aloe vera juice from powder, every time you drink it, this bottle is a must. The blender ball does all the work for you and makes sure that the drink is thoroughly mixed. It is easy to use and to clean. I recommend it highly!
Aloe Vera Gel Tabs - For Those That Don't Like Juice or Gel
These easy to take and transport soft gels will give the the full benefit of the juice or gel and are much easier to take.
Aloe Vera is ...
all purpose medicine, it will treat sunburns, cuts, bites, stings, burns, punctures, even sprains and bruises!
Can Taking Aloe Vera Help You Live Longer?
What Did A Study Show?
Aloe vera can extend lifespan is the conclusion of the Study "The Effects of Lifelong Aloe Ingestion on Aging and Pathology" by Byung Pal Yu, Jeremiah Herlihy and Yuji Ikeno of the Department of Physiology, University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio. The rats in this study were shown to extend there lifespan by 10%. There were also other beneficial effects from aloe vera regarding age related illnesses such as neuropathy (kidney problems) and a lower instance of leukemia in the test subjects. it was also found that there were no detrimental or toxic effects from ingesting raw aloe vera.
If you would like to read more on the study, it can be found here: http://www.iasc.org/yu.html
Image from Amazon.com for an item sold on this page
Ten Reasons You Should Drink Aloe Vera Gel Video - Many Benefits
Aloe Vera isn't a Magic Cure
It won't cure your ills overnight
or after drinking a few smoothies.
You must make it a part of your daily regimen.
Results usually occur within 10 to 30 days,
if taken regularly and depending on your condtion.
Aloe Vera Plant - Grow Your Own!
1. Keep plant in full sun, on a window sill or outside, if the weather is over 70 degrees.
2. Replant your aloe vera in a larger pot with sand in the dirt or a potting mix for succulents. Make sure the new pot has room for new growth, and good drainage.
3. Do not plant too deep or the bottom leave will rot.
4. Water well but make sure to let the soil to dry out completely between waterings. Do not overwater! Remember, aloe vera is a desert type plant, if you water it too much, it will die.
5. Fertilize lightly once or twice a year to promote growth
Aloe vera plants are not hard to grow for the benefits they provide.
Some of My Other Pages - You May Enjoy
Green Tea Extract - EGCG - Is It Good for You?
What are the health benefits and possible side effects of Green Tea Extract, or EGCg? We will explore those questions here, and help you to have a better und...
7 Keto and Your Metabolism
The term 7-Keto DHEA is actually short for the chemical compound 3-acetyl-7-oxo-dehydroeplandros-terone. 7-Keto, discovered in 1958, is a derivative of the ...
Saffron Extract - Does It Suppress Your Appetite ?
Saffron Extract is a natural supplement that Dr. Oz recently recommended on his show. While it is first and foremost stated by him to be an appetite suppress...
Vitamin D - Many Benefits, Especially for Those Over 50!
Everyone seems to be talking about Vitamin D these days. Dr. Oz has talked about it on his show. Good Morning America has also done a story on it. There are ...
White Kidney Bean Extract - Does It Block Carbs from Being Absorbed?
Did you know that when you eat a carbohydrate, your body digests it, which converts it to sugar, which goes straight into your bloodstream? From there it can...
L-Theanine - Does It Relieve Anxiety and Stress ?
Anxiety and stress are energy sapping conditions that can upset our hormone balance and damage our feeling of well-being, and emotional balance. They can als...
Amazon Affiliate Disclosure. Jadelynx is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Disclaimer: The information presented on this page is intended for educational purposes only. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat or prevent disease. Individual results may vary, and before using any supplements, it is always advisable to consult with your own physician.