Say Yes To Life profile image 85

A question regarding women over training to the point of amenorrhea

It's a known fact that women in their 20s who over-train to the point where their periods stop risk osteoporosis later in life. This is because they're still building bone mass. But suppose a woman is past 40 and already has all the bone mass she will ever have. Is it OK for her to over-train then? I'm asking because I'm 52 and have been peri-menopausal for nearly 8 years. I'd like to make my periods stop without resorting to hormones or hysterectomy, and wonder if this is a healthy option - especially since weight-bearing exercise is supposed to boost bone mass and prevent osteoporosis.

Abby Campbell profile image92

Best Answer Abby Campbell says

• Say Yes To Life profile image

Yoleen Lucas (Say Yes To Life) 3 years ago

Good point about other hormones being out of whack - thanks for your answer. Also, it occurred to me I may get repetitive injuries if I over-train. Thanks!