letstalkabouteduc profile image 99

Did you ever have a crisis only to discover the support system you thought you had was non-existent?

When my 5-year-old son was diagnosed with autism, I thought I had a solid group of family, friends, and co-workers to help me through this terrible time (the worst in my life). However, I quickly discovered that my support system was not supportive at all. I never felt so scared, alone, and hopeless. Now, 10 years later, my son is doing great (he's high functioning), but I've never gotten over the hurt and shock of not getting the support I so desperately needed. Has something similar happened to you and how did you cope?

• letstalkabouteduc profile image

McKenna Meyers (letstalkabouteduc) 2 years ago

Wow, there's a lot of truth in all you say. The help I received for my son and me came from professionals, not family and friends. I've learned to be pleasantly surprised when family offers support, but never expect it.